Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

JUICY GIRL

JUICY GIRL

Posts: 154 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Jo Haliaetus said :
Puppy Fren there is someone posting around the forum as of today named JUICY GIRL who uses your signature I believe they may be trying to be you
wow I didn't realize I was impostering I will change my signature right meow
“As you can see I am pretty smart. I’m also 100% sane, 0% crazy.” - Kyle Odom

30-Sep-2017 17:17:32

Puppy Fren

Puppy Fren

Posts: 1,249 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
JUICY GIRL said :
Jo Haliaetus said :
Puppy Fren there is someone posting around the forum as of today named JUICY GIRL who uses your signature I believe they may be trying to be you
wow I didn't realize I was impostering I will change my signature right meow

I like your signature, friend. :)
´¨)
¸.
´
(¸.
Puppy Fren ~ Fren of Puppies Everywhere
:)

30-Sep-2017 17:19:42

Jo Haliaetus

Jo Haliaetus

Posts: 7,830 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
hello everyone what do you all like to do on a long lazy saturday? I myself am enjoying some classic oatmeal while I get ready for my day of reading newspapers with a magnifying glass

30-Sep-2017 17:32:29 - Last edited on 30-Sep-2017 17:32:40 by Jo Haliaetus

Anarya

Anarya

Posts: 785 Gold Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Puppy Fren said :
Yeah, I don't want to really get into it, but having someone who's obviously learning the language for the first time talk about "how many more lines Python takes to do things than other lower level languages" is pretty silly. :)
I can see your point. For me, learning about comprehensions was really the tipping point where I started to like Python. You can get a lot of work done without spending a lot of time writing.

Once a learner gets to the point they can handle comprehensions, I think they give a better perspective on how to work with the language and not against it.

People who care too much about minimizing the number of lines they write in general practice can go soak their head for all I care. It often makes for unreadable code.

@Jack, they work in Python 2 also: https://docs.python.org/2/tutorial/datastructures.html#list-comprehensions

30-Sep-2017 18:07:53

Team Skull
Aug Member 2008

Team Skull

Posts: 24,511 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Oh, Drew bro:

I am BR'ing a Brave shiny Alolan Marowak.

Moveset is:

Flare Blitz
Shadow Bone
Bonemerang
Swords Dance

@ Thicc Club
"Revenge...is like a rolling stone, which, when a man hath forced up a hill, will return upon him with a greater violence, and break those bones whose sinews gave it motion."- Jeremy Taylor

30-Sep-2017 18:08:10

Icy Spring

Icy Spring

Posts: 3,248 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Jack Flac said :
Anarya said :
Jack Flac said :
Basic data management at first, which was okay. It's what's pythons built for. But I ended up having to force build a game engine with it, which really wasn't fun. The libraries are there, but past a certain point, you're basically fighting with it to get it to do anything.

I don't know. 100-200 lines of code, for something I can write in c++ or c# in just 10-20, I can do it, but it isn't really fun.
Fair enough. Games engines definitely fall in the category of things I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole in Python. When runtime is critical, it's probably good to reach for something lower level.

Also, I really, truly, genuinely hate to be that guy, but you might want to look into list comprehensions. You could probably rewrite your spritestrip program into ~15 lines of code if you used them instead of hard-coding all those crops, renames, and loops.
https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/datastructures.html?highlight=comprehension#list-comprehensions
Python 2 versus Python 3.

List comprehensions are a Python 2 feature too:

You also might wanna take a look at string formatting and the * operator for unpacking lists in a function call.

30-Sep-2017 18:09:04

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top