Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

Averia Light

Averia Light

Posts: 28,508 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
A grand total of 12 people would see me as such (if that), which is an effective non-concern. A statistical zero.

I guess why do you think that it is a problem if you are not the smartest person in the room?

Tbh, i think it is a problem if you are, since you likely won't learn anything.
And I swear I'm not going to let her know all the pain I have known

22-Jun-2017 18:18:25 - Last edited on 22-Jun-2017 18:19:33 by Averia Light

Team Skull
Aug Member 2008

Team Skull

Posts: 24,511 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Averia Light said :
A grand total of 12 people would see me as such (if that), which is an effective non-concern. A statistical zero.

I guess why do you think that it is a problem if you are not the smartest person in the room?

Tbh, i think it is a problem if you are, since you likely won't learn anything.

I was just showing how stupidly rare of an occurrence his assertion was to me, and thus has no concern to me.

Could there be a possibility that someone in a given room is smarter than me? Absolutely, but it's a statistical unlikelihood.
"Revenge...is like a rolling stone, which, when a man hath forced up a hill, will return upon him with a greater violence, and break those bones whose sinews gave it motion."- Jeremy Taylor

22-Jun-2017 19:44:17

Averia Light

Averia Light

Maybe I am a bit confused.

You say it is of no concern to you since the chances of someone smarter than you strolling in is unlikely, but why would it be of any concern at all?

22-Jun-2017 19:48:10

Shady Nick

Shady Nick

Posts: 16,272 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Beast, part of high IQ, except in the case of those who are autistic savants, is the ability to learn rapidly and adapt easily. You've successfully fallen into a trap of having to try to prove others your intelligence, which will inevitably be perceived as the opposite (pseudo-intellectualism).

If reading the above has caused a negative reaction, then a gaze inward may be necessary. I'm only telling you this as a friend; others will perceive you as a troll if you speak about IQ tests comparatively. Your comments make it appear that you genuinely believe you are the more intelligent party in the vast majority of hypothetical situations/debates. I don't know whether this is true or not; all I'm telling you is how people will perceive such statements.

22-Jun-2017 19:54:49

Team Skull
Aug Member 2008

Team Skull

He was the one who tried to bring it up to me. Notice how I didn't bring up other people until someone else did to try and put me down. "Revenge...is like a rolling stone, which, when a man hath forced up a hill, will return upon him with a greater violence, and break those bones whose sinews gave it motion."- Jeremy Taylor

22-Jun-2017 19:56:03

Averia Light

Averia Light

I have a lot to explain to my daughter if I am a he.

I kid. I've been battling with a newborn for the past 4 hours, and I am smelling drama here. I just saw a comment and wanted to post about it, really didn't mean to insult anyone.

22-Jun-2017 19:58:06 - Last edited on 22-Jun-2017 19:59:53 by Averia Light

Team Skull
Aug Member 2008

Team Skull

Shady Nick said :
Beast, part of high IQ, except in the case of those who are autistic savants, is the ability to learn rapidly and adapt easily. You've successfully fallen into a trap of having to try to prove others your intelligence, which will inevitably be perceived as the opposite (pseudo-intellectualism).

If reading the above has caused a negative reaction, then a gaze inward may be necessary. I'm only telling you this as a friend; others will perceive you as a troll if you speak about IQ tests comparatively. Your comments make it appear that you genuinely believe you are the more intelligent party in the vast majority of hypothetical situations/debates. I don't know whether this is true or not; all I'm telling you is how people will perceive such statements.

I mean, people already see me as a troll due to my rather coarse diction, so why would I care if people see me as a pseudo-intellect? People will think what they want- I'm not here to impress or wow people.
"Revenge...is like a rolling stone, which, when a man hath forced up a hill, will return upon him with a greater violence, and break those bones whose sinews gave it motion."- Jeremy Taylor

22-Jun-2017 20:03:29

Team Skull
Aug Member 2008

Team Skull

Averia Light said :
I have a lot to explain to my daughter if I am a he.

I kid. I've been battling with a newborn for the past 4 hours, and I am smelling drama here. I just saw a comment and wanted to post about it, really didn't mean to insult anyone.

Na, not you. Dee dubs.

22-Jun-2017 20:03:59

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Posts: 29,016 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I believe we all put people down, even people that say they don't. Just because it doesn't offend you or your mates does not mean it doesn't offend others - we are all guilty.

There is also people on this forum and other websites that are very good at belittling, putting down other/s and putting personal digs in without the people around them realizing what they are up - often it's only the victim that realizes.

It also depends on who you are or who you put down if it tolerated or not.
If fat means flavour then I'm ******* delicious!

22-Jun-2017 20:09:59 - Last edited on 22-Jun-2017 20:12:51 by Dong U Dead

Shady Nick

Shady Nick

Posts: 16,272 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Team Skull said :
I mean, people already see me as a troll due to my rather coarse diction, so why would I care if people see me as a pseudo-intellect? People will think what they want- I'm not here to impress or wow people.

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement, but it directly contradicts your rhetoric on the previous pages. The use of indirect ad hominem to attack someone's relative intelligence level post argument/debate is usually perceived as self-consciousness. What you say may be 100% accurate and true to reality, but the act of preaching it is what causes the negative connotation.

Again, I bring this to your attention for your growth rather than your anguish. Whole intelligence involves more than a raw ability to learn; it branches into social, emotional, etc. As for social intelligence, I wish to forward you a quote from Plato.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”

I'm showing you this not in an accusatory way, but in a third-party perspective. You may or may not ask yourself "What would ______ think of my statement" before you post, which while being not necessary may give you context.

22-Jun-2017 20:17:48

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top