Forums

An archaeologist writes...

Quick find code: 181-182-771-66153151

Archaeox
Dec Member 2011

Archaeox

Posts: 53,399 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
As someone with an archaeology degree, I'd just like to say how much I'm enjoying the new skill!

While it's not always a fully accurate reflection of the job (where are the spoil heaps? why no trowels?), it has nevertheless distilled the essence of fieldwork well, and puts a premium on the skilled work of archaeological conservators.

There are also plenty of small touches that show a good understanding of what the discipline is really like - for example the archaeologist at Kharid-Et who'd rather be drawing something, a character whom I have met many times in real life!

Other things I like:

- lower level content retains relevance even at higher levels, encouraging going back to repeat it;
- good connection to the lore of RuneScape;
- lots of variety, in terms of environments, items and underlying story;
- varied gameplay, with collection and processing in a single skill;
- the need to think about what to do with the items obtained!

So 10/10, good job! :D
~~~~ Just another victim of the ambient morality ~~~~

~~ Founder of the Caped Carousers quest cape clan ~~

!! Slava Ukraini - heroyam slava !!

14-Apr-2020 10:32:42

Ciaota
Nov Member 2019

Ciaota

Posts: 2 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Another person working in the discipline, here. And I totally second that!

I think this skill totally captures the feeling that I often have pithing archaeology; you look at the items and think like: "Wow, somebody a few thousand years before this day has held this in their hand. Did they think it was as beautiful as it looks to me right now? What did they use the jar to store?" And after a while a consistent picture forms more and more, and you get to understand the culture, city, or if you're lucky, the way of living of the family, whose house you're excavating... Or at least, you seem to haha

Thank you for this great skill and thank you for great lore you wrapped around it! You done did it again! ^_^

15-Apr-2020 03:23:27

Rooh
Jan
fmod Member

Rooh

Forum Moderator Posts: 40,589 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Always good to hear from someone who knows about the subject.

I'm really enjoying it (despite one or two initial grumbles).
Who's the cat that won't cop out when there's danger all about?

16-Apr-2020 08:11:59

Quick find code: 181-182-771-66153151 Back to Top