Forums

Future for classic rares

Quick find code: 17-18-590-66235499

Legendery

Legendery

Posts: 4,247 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
**Disclaimer this is by no means price manipulation **

In this post, we will discuss the use cases of classic rares.

With the removal of duel arena and the introductions of new tradable rares, where do you see classic rares use cases/price heading?

From my understanding as a vet player (who has played since 2004), the rare items were always a status symbol. Wearable rares were THE only items to show status back then.

Now the economy is dramatically different. The classic rare items now share the spotlight with, armors, weapons, and dye as they've become the new status symbols in-game.

So now rares arent the only flexible item in-game.

The next use case of rares and in my opinion the most important factor was staking. Just ask anyone at the duel area. A Stakers end game would almost always be to stop once they had enough for their desired rare items/collection. I, myself would occasionally come back to Runescape to stake with the goal of adding more classic rares to my collection.

Now that the dueling area is in talks of being removed, people like me won't be returning in-game, and most likely my rare collection will never see the light of day again. But with Jagex introducing new rares every couple of years what will be the future of the classic rares? Will they eventually become diluted with other "modern" rares? What will be the use cases of rares? What purpose will collecting rares become when new rares are introduced every few years?

I am quite upset hearing the introduction of the golden phat. The uniqueness and use cases of rares are is being watered down. Items such as the Santa hat have become currencies. for higher tier rares.

Ngl, I did expect Jagex to pull something like this eventually but yeah... still disappointed.

13-Nov-2021 03:21:52 - Last edited on 13-Nov-2021 04:17:18 by Legendery

Legendery

Legendery

Posts: 4,247 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
So with stakers out the picture. who is the current target market for classic rares

Genuine players of the game tend to spend more on new armor, weapon, and supply along with skilling, only a few who have managed to collect a vast amount of wealth, are actually able to afford the classic rares at these prices.

As of now, collectors are the majority target audiences for classic rares. We all know the current classic discontinued items are bottlenecked in terms of supply, it's literally a small group of people controlling the majority of the supply. With less demand for classic rares and a tight bottleneck on supply, what is the future for rares?

IMO I believe the current prices of classic rares, will most likely be unaffected by the release of newer rares. However, the demand for classic rares will continue to drop as newer rares are released, older players "quitting" and newer players come into the game.

13-Nov-2021 03:48:45 - Last edited on 13-Nov-2021 04:22:45 by Legendery

Trip180

Trip180

Posts: 16,702 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It’s good for the long term health of the game if new players get rares. They’ll buy hoping for future riches, like holding an acre of land near where a city is developing.

I dunno if the new hat will be released intelligently. Ideally, you want new owners, dispersed ownership. I think it’d be neat to make a new rare untradeable for 2 years after release. That way noobs can’t sell immediately, hinders hoarding.

Lots of possibilities like that. Ice cube system hindered alt armies.

Hoarders aren’t entirely a negative. “Nothing in excess.”
I cannot for the life of me manage to catch Covid. Perhaps it's because I didn't get vaxxed? The travails of those lacking immunity. :(

13-Nov-2021 11:21:18

Trip180

Trip180

Posts: 16,702 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
New rares might reduce old rare value, but old rare supply is so small now. And there’s a lot more gp. I cannot for the life of me manage to catch Covid. Perhaps it's because I didn't get vaxxed? The travails of those lacking immunity. :(

13-Nov-2021 11:23:13

Hats Man
Dec Member 2023

Hats Man

Posts: 112 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The duel arena removal is priced in already IMO. Historically if you just hold onto rares, they're going to go up. Just like in real life, you cant time the markets, and youre better off just holding long term.

GPhat is good for the game IMO, and while everyone else has been screaming "rerelease rares!" I've been screaming "Release new rares!" because then everyone can get them and "buy in early". Then in 5 years when I hear the same people crying saying "I sold my GPhat and now its too expensive" I can tell them that its their fault and they should've just HODL'ed. New rares are a great hedge on old rares.

13-Nov-2021 12:05:30

The Atlantis
Nov Member 2023

The Atlantis

Posts: 508 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It's funny, because the basic players always thought that Rares would crash once Duel Arena is removed. It got removed and didn't even effect the rares market. (There was a small panic, but it didn't even last for a week)

New rares were released in the past, that didn't effect the price of Classic rares either. Classic rares will always rise in price.

Party hats are desired by pretty much everyone, the demand for them will always be there, and high end PVM is like 50-100m/+ gp hr right now, you don't need staking to achieve your goal.

Supply for rares will be lower, because most of them were sold daily by stakers who wanted to RWT, most normal players who achieve a party hat would just keepsake it, or ug/dg for another color

13-Nov-2021 12:33:24

RSGOTMEFATT

RSGOTMEFATT

Posts: 302 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
With the golden party hat release, it gives me the indication that they might do a similar thing with other rares in the future. golden santa, green santa, black party hat, possibilities are endless but they are likely to be connected to some event. If jagex releases more rares in a similar fashion where the only difference is the color it will lead to a demand decline for older rares. Think of the lambo you were saving up for but you get a free one with a different color, or -90% cheaper, it's likely you will be satisfied especially when the latter costs so much.
Grand Exchange: Finished buying 1 x Christmas cracker

13-Nov-2021 19:00:36

emo virgin
Feb Member 2020

emo virgin

Posts: 88 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
RSGOTMEFATT said :
With the golden party hat release, it gives me the indication that they might do a similar thing with other rares in the future. golden santa, green santa, black party hat, possibilities are endless but they are likely to be connected to some event. If jagex releases more rares in a similar fashion where the only difference is the color it will lead to a demand decline for older rares. Think of the lambo you were saving up for but you get a free one with a different color, or -90% cheaper, it's likely you will be satisfied especially when the latter costs so much.

100% agree

yellow green phats bsh holly hweens and maybe even rsh are in trouble IMO. especially with them talking about gp sinks soon.

13-Nov-2021 20:46:27

Eng1neerd
Feb Member 2014

Eng1neerd

Posts: 860 Gold Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
RSGOTMEFATT said :

Totally agree with this, never thought of it like a lambo comparison but makes sense! I would very much prefer a golden lambo over a yellow lambo easily lmao. TBH they should just make a blank canvas paper hat (Phat) where you just dye it with the existing dyes. 3rd age phat would be dope with it being white and outlined in black

13-Nov-2021 21:19:38

Quick find code: 17-18-590-66235499 Back to Top