Forums

Bringing RS to Console

Quick find code: 16-17-698-66271316

Vead
Sep Member 2022

Vead

Posts: 1,824 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I feel as-if mobile conversion was certainly a step in the right direction towards this :P . - (Owner) Ornery Onions -
Prioritizing inclusion, friendliness and offering a helping hand to those that need it.

08-Jan-2023 14:36:12

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,176 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
We know a Runescape franchise game is going to be released on Console, but it is Jagex's soon-to-be-revealed Survival Game.

"On Tuesday (June 21), Jagex announced three new hires that will be working on an upcoming game from the studio.

While Jagex has not shared too many details just yet, it did reveal that it is currently developing “an undisclosed Unreal Engine 5 open world survival game within the RuneScape universe”.

With this upcoming game, Jagex aims to grow the RuneScape franchise “into new audiences on desktop and console platforms,” which suggests that besides launching on PC, the studio’s next project will appear on Xbox, PlayStation or even Nintendo Switch platforms."

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/jagex-is-making-an-open-world-survival-game-set-in-runescape-universe-3254915

RS3 has mentioned in many occasions they are looking into making a console version of the game, but I think this will be after the release of the RS Survival Game and hopefully this will be very soon as Mod Pips told us many times, and then we will be playing RS3 on Xbox and Playstation where the game has already been enlisted. :)

08-Jan-2023 17:50:24 - Last edited on 08-Jan-2023 18:03:13 by Dilbert2001

Jeremy Cheng
Aug Member 2013

Jeremy Cheng

Posts: 25,647 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mobile is the first step. I would assume home consoles are next whenever that happens. You'll probably need multiple controls set with the various commands rs3 has. For osrs it's easier and I expect osrs consoles to be done first.

12-Jan-2023 09:01:35

Cam8528
Jul Member 2020

Cam8528

Posts: 723 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
this is a big step forward, and there are pitfalls to watch out for. the mobile client is doing well and this is also good news.

if i had any advice to offer our friends at jagex, it would be this;

i began my quest in runescape during rs2 with several of my classmates. when most of them "quit runescape" i kept playing on and off with time permitting.

rs3 came around and there were large changes to the accounts and lots of updates were being made to modernize the game client at the time. for example, during the first days of EoC i was unsure if i should remain within the realm of OSRS or if i should remain optimistic about the new EoC combat system.

I decided to remain optimistic about the new EoC combat system simply because when i checked my bank account, all of my miscellaneous quest items and other junk were precisely as i had left them.

it is this last sentence which i must say preserved my will and desire to continue playing runescape for many years after the tumultuous introduction of the Evolution of Combat system and the division of the community between diehard classic fans and those who would remain optimistic about the future that jagex envisioned and would bring its supporters and longtime fans.

during talks of migrating gilenor to EoC, gilenor from PC to Mobile Stores and Steam, Gilenor to Console Titles, these are major changes which offer much potential for uprooting legacy playstyles and legacy priorities for dedicated fans. i would do whatever i can to offer my past experiences for during major changes to the runescape game, (rs2 to rs3, EoC, rs3 to mobile etc) to highlight the reasons for what has kept me coming back over the years during major changes to What It Means To Play RuneScape.

from cam
cam’s sig

16-Jan-2023 16:09:49

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Jeremy Cheng said :
Mobile is the first step. I would assume home consoles are next whenever that happens. You'll probably need multiple controls set with the various commands rs3 has. For osrs it's easier and I expect osrs consoles to be done first.

Not exactly, as consoles have a much bigger screen than mobile and Jagex's problems in bringing RS3 to the mobile were a small screen for their robust interfaces.

Now all the RS3 interfaces have been worked into mobile for quite a while and they can just bring the same interface over to console with a much bigger screen on console which will also have absolutely no fat-fingered-players-on-a-touch-screen issue.

Actually RS3 Jmods said RS3 works much better on consoles than moblie, when it finally happens. By then, I can see RS3 on console will have very similar interfaces as RS3 Mobile, only that even mobile players may move over to RS3 Console because they can use a device control and no their "fat fingers" to do identical tasks on almost identical UI.

16-Jan-2023 16:40:57 - Last edited on 16-Jan-2023 17:48:02 by Dilbert2001

SlR
Nov Member 2020

SlR

Posts: 4,378 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I think they'll want to make it controller compatible to test how it feels first Bob says:
A bank PIN will keep your items secure.
Always check the second trade screen.
Never trade in the Wilderness!
Keep your computer keylogger-free and virus scanned.
Never give your password out to anyone.

16-Jan-2023 16:57:14 - Last edited on 16-Jan-2023 17:02:14 by SlR

Cam8528
Jul Member 2020

Cam8528

Posts: 723 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
somebody has to think about how to kill the giant mole fast, restock items from fally bank, and run back to the hole in the garden and interact with boss instance interfaces using solely an xbox controller. if youre a google stadia playstation or Nintendo guy (or gurl) it matters not; today's seamless transitions between different devices and hardware interfacing with software across the internet of things works very well.

as long as u can play the new interface using an xbox controller, it will work basically the same using a (modern year 2024) gamecube controller, stadia controller, playstation controller or any ol' Bluetooth third party mad cat u can get on amazon for 30gp.
cam’s sig

16-Jan-2023 17:04:12

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Cam8528 said :
somebody has to think about how to kill the giant mole fast, restock items from fally bank, and run back to the hole in the garden and interact with boss instance interfaces using solely an xbox controller. if youre a google stadia playstation or Nintendo guy (or gurl) it matters not; today's seamless transitions between different devices and hardware interfacing with software across the internet of things works very well.

as long as u can play the new interface using an xbox controller, it will work basically the same using a (modern year 2024) gamecube controller, stadia controller, playstation controller or any ol' Bluetooth third party mad cat u can get on amazon for 30gp.

We basically have some sort of ASDF control by way of the Ability Bars in RS3 already. Certain players can even kill 4k enraged Telos blind folded with keybinds and Ability Bar. Of course, EOC also offers movement abilities and not just point-and-click.

The other thing is the new Runescape franchise survival game will be the first RS game on console. I will be insanely surprised it is Legacy Mode and not EOC. It means by the time when we see the RS Survial Game on Console, we pretty much are ready to port same EOC mechanics and UI backward to RS3.

The transition to console may not be as difficult as many players think with EOC. I don't know about Legacy Mode though. Maybe they will just decommission Legacy Mode on console since there may not even be 0.5% of players on it anyway.

16-Jan-2023 17:51:26 - Last edited on 16-Jan-2023 18:03:49 by Dilbert2001

Quick find code: 16-17-698-66271316 Back to Top