Forums

Make Mini Games Great Again

Quick find code: 16-17-157-66177584

DarkLight6y

DarkLight6y

Posts: 14 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I can't tell you how much i miss castle wars, no one goes anymore. We need beneficial dailies that convince people to do different mini games. exp bonuses, gold, exclusive rewards. I would absolutely love to bounce from mini game to mini game. I'm so tired of them being so empty. The dedicated worlds is still a good idea if you partner it up with dailies or weeklies, something to tell people "Hey, play this today."

27-Aug-2020 23:39:58

Deltaslug

Deltaslug

Posts: 32,671 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
1) Remove the truly dead minigames. The ones that are so lacking in rewards and needing groups to play that to update them would take too many development resources. (True, removing them is dev intensive, but at least you permanently remove the need to dev them further.)

2) Further reduce entry requirements.
If possible remove quest start (ie Trouble Brewing)
Remove as many levels as possible to start or lower them.
Reduce the starting point of players to 1 if at all possible. Letting someone solo Pest Control for example. Setting Barbarian Assault to just 4 with option for 5th.

3) Remove outdated rewards
Outright deleting would be preferred. Making cosmetic (ie Sacred Clay Tools and Weapons) would be an alternative.

4) Rebrand some.
Remove the PvP and Make FoG into a GWD Lite with 8 faction free for all.
Making something a D&D (weekly/monthly) instead of a minigame (Great Orb Project)

28-Aug-2020 01:41:07

Vengeance of
Mar Member 2018

Vengeance of

Posts: 2,372 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Making all minigames soloable (with or without AI teammates/opponents as needed) should be priority #1 in any minigame rework. Content that can solo'ed is content that can never truly "die", which is smart futureproofing (and for what it's worth, group bosses should follow suit for the same reason). It'd also let Ironmen experience them without needing to group up (which has never sat right with me -- the entire point of Ironman is to be self-sufficient, so why do they get to group with each other?)

There's also the elephant in the room: PVP and EoC have never really played nice with each other, which is going to be a major obstacle in dealing with games like Fist of Guthix and Castle Wars. I really think EoC needs an entire balance sweep in terms of PVP balance, which would also tie into making the Wilderness popular again and such... getting PVP into a decent place again is going to be a whole "thing".

Finally, while I disagree with OP that Minigames need daily rewards, I will say that they need rewards that actually make them worth doing if we want to make them relevant again. I genuinely think that XP rewards from minigames should, if the player is able to keep winning/doing well, should provide among the fastest XP/hr for their respective skills when played in multiplayer, and item rewards should strive to remain relevant to all players.

It won't be easy to revive Minigames, and Jagex is going to need to be willing to put in a lot of work to do it. Truth be told, I won't be surprised if they decide to cut their losses and scrap minigames in general -- I feel like Fist of Guthix in particular might not be long for this world -- but hopefully they'll eventually come around to giving minigames one more shot to become relevant again.

30-Aug-2020 03:59:08

yammaniow
Mar Member 2007

yammaniow

Posts: 1,828 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
let's be sociable and make mini games more attractive than the one off a achievement req, RS used to be sociable, but since AFK is more prevalent the social side had long gone.

Even in the clans, sometimes getting a response to a greeting, achievement or acknowledgement is hard because of AFK.

The game should be renamed hermitscape
I know what I want to do, but can rarely achieve it

30-Aug-2020 08:03:05

Ekimike
Feb Member 2018

Ekimike

Posts: 345 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I agree. A few thoughts:

1. REMOVAL: I agree with your point about removing old mini games that are just plain boring, outdated and bad. For example, Trouble brewing or Conquest. These are things no one ever does and frankly, they are horrible. I think it would be better to focus on good mini-games and remove others altogether. It would help clean up the game, and current rewards could be moved to other content (including other mini-games).

2. DISTRACTIONS: I also agree that changing some of the mini games to weekly/monthly DnD would be better than keeping them as mini games. This would allow better rewards to be provided and keep them from being farmed. If this was the case, some truly unique rewards, rather than shared rewards, is better.

For example, Barbarian assault provides BXP for mining, fire-making and agility that is basically best in game if you do it well, and also provides insignias.

3. REWARDS: Adding things that can be recharged using that mini-game currency is really nice for replayablility. Anytime something is a one and done reward only, without on-going recharge cost/upkeep, it makes that dead content for most players.

There will always be a core group of players who enjoy any given piece of content; for mini games, that core group needs to be supported and supplemented with occasional players. These rewards need to be robust and balanced and worth the time investment.

There should be rewards for both PVMers and Skillers. I think there should also be a blend of tradable and non-tradable version of rewards (think, for example, the scrimshaws from Ports).

Weekly resetting rewards that impact other areas of the game would be popular too, if done right. For instance, combat mini games that provide boosts to stats in certain areas.

4. SOLO-ABILITY I partially agree about making more mini games soloable, although I think if it can be solo'ed, it should be transitioned to a weekly or monthly DnD instead.

01-Sep-2020 19:27:18

Ekimike
Feb Member 2018

Ekimike

Posts: 345 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
5. MORE....

Adding onto my earlier thoughts, I think it would be really nice if there were mini-game pets or other cosmetics that showcased your efforts in mini-games. An example would be the castle wars armours, although it needs to not be this extreme. Perhaps taking their concept of a tiered comp cape, but making it primarily a mini-games comp cape. The key to this is not putting it outside a reasonable range - again, refer to castle wars and previous req for trim.

6. AND MORE MORE.... (THALER):

Furthermore, I think they need to take a look at Thaler and make the scaling better, so that Thaler is based exclusively on time spent in mini games.

As an example, if you spend 1hour playing mini games, you should get 60 Thaler (1/min). This should be spread out evenly across all mini-games, so that one mini-game is no better or more rewarding for Thaler than any other mini-game.

This might need to be adjusted slightly for time spent in lobby. One way to get around varied time related to lobbying would be to base it on a timer - So if you spend less than 3 minutes in a lobby finding a new game, that time is then the same as if you were actively in a game, if you play another game, and rewarded as part of your next mini game.

I think Thaler should come as a secondary token system in addition to every mini-game specific reward.

Related to several of my above comments, if Thaler was tied to good rewards, with a combination of tradable and untradable content, that would make it valuable to everyone. Again, this content needs to be reasonable (not 100 hours to get an item that boosts your exp by 1%). These rewards should supplement time doing something less fun. For example, if you spend 1 hour playing x-minigame, and the reward is an hour's worth of exp. This would incentivize active play and mini games would have more people.

01-Sep-2020 19:36:39 - Last edited on 01-Sep-2020 19:39:09 by Ekimike

Quick find code: 16-17-157-66177584 Back to Top