Forums

Make Mini Games Great Again

Quick find code: 16-17-157-66177584

Vengeance of
Mar Member 2018

Vengeance of

Posts: 2,372 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ekimike said :
For example, Trouble brewing or Conquest.

To go off on a little bit of a tangent... Do you know what infuriates me most about Conquest? Thanks to The Void Stares Back, we know that a version of Conquest where the player can play against the AI is not only possible, but actively exists . There's no excuse for Conquest to be multiplayer only with that in mind. Multiplayer Conquest could continue to exist for the few people who still actually care about it, but Conquest could have thrived as a multiplayer-optional minigame for most of this past decade (I do mean this literally; the quest's 10th anniversary is this coming October) if Jagex had bothered. Such a waste.

Ekimike said :
Dungeoneering is basically dead content - this is a terrible model on which to base a re-working of mini games in runescape.

Not only that, but to be honest, Dungeoneering is an absolute mess of a skill -- to be blunt, at no point in its history to date has it ever been deserving being of a skill in the first place. It'd be a good minigame (in fact, if it were just a minigame, it'd easily be the best minigame we've got), but that's really all it is: a minigame pretending to be a skill. The last thing we need is another skill that makes the same mistakes.

04-Sep-2020 23:41:30 - Last edited on 04-Sep-2020 23:43:38 by Vengeance of

Jack Flac
Feb Member 2022

Jack Flac

Posts: 6,207 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ekimike said :

6. AND MORE MORE.... (THALER):

Furthermore, I think they need to take a look at Thaler and make the scaling better, so that Thaler is based exclusively on time spent in mini games.

As an example, if you spend 1hour playing mini games, you should get 60 Thaler (1/min). This should be spread out evenly across all mini-games, so that one mini-game is no better or more rewarding for Thaler than any other mini-game.

This might need to be adjusted slightly for time spent in lobby. One way to get around varied time related to lobbying would be to base it on a timer - So if you spend less than 3 minutes in a lobby finding a new game, that time is then the same as if you were actively in a game, if you play another game, and rewarded as part of your next mini game.

I think Thaler should come as a secondary token system in addition to every mini-game specific reward.

Related to several of my above comments, if Thaler was tied to good rewards, with a combination of tradable and untradable content, that would make it valuable to everyone. Again, this content needs to be reasonable (not 100 hours to get an item that boosts your exp by 1%). These rewards should supplement time doing something less fun. For example, if you spend 1 hour playing x-minigame, and the reward is an hour's worth of exp. This would incentivize active play and mini games would have more people.
Thaler does more damage to minigames than anything else. It should never have been introduced.
Leader of The Enemy ||
The opposite of Justice is simply another Justice. What is Evil is subjective to each person.
YOU
are their evil

05-Sep-2020 20:21:44

Jack Flac
Feb Member 2022

Jack Flac

Posts: 6,207 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ekimike said :
I agree. A few thoughts:

1. REMOVAL: I agree with your point about removing old mini games that are just plain boring, outdated and bad. For example, Trouble brewing or Conquest. These are things no one ever does and frankly, they are horrible. I think it would be better to focus on good mini-games and remove others altogether. It would help clean up the game, and current rewards could be moved to other content (including other mini-games).

Don't remove conquest, it's one of the few fun ones, and in fact gives better rewards per interaction than Pest Control.
Leader of The Enemy ||
The opposite of Justice is simply another Justice. What is Evil is subjective to each person.
YOU
are their evil

05-Sep-2020 20:21:55

Vengeance of
Mar Member 2018

Vengeance of

Posts: 2,372 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Jack Flac said :
Thaler does more damage to minigames than anything else. It should never have been introduced.

I disagree. It was smart futureproofing to make a unified minigame currency to help prevent certain items from being unobtainable because of how dead their respective minigames were, and the spotlight system at least helps people find games; the problem is that Jagex didn't do anything about being able to idle in most minigames, which in turn meant that minigames where idling is not, or is only barely, punished became the way to obtain Thaler. See: Flash Powder Factory.

I know it must be a nightmare to balance anti-leeching mechanics like the Activity Bar so that innocent players who just aren't able to find a task to do in time in a crowded game aren't kicked like they were in Fishing Trawler back in the day, but surely even a lax Activity Bar would be better for minigames' health better than no bar at all.

06-Sep-2020 18:02:52

Quick find code: 16-17-157-66177584 Back to Top