Forums

General Forum Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 14-15-770-65953105

Mexk
Aug
fmod Member

Mexk

Forum Moderator Posts: 19,631 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Niick said :

Awesome. Thank you!

I assume transferring all of that to a website would cost money?

If you need any assistance, I wouldn't mind donating to help you with the costs of the website creation and development (if you would like that).

I appreciate that, Nick, thank you, but no worries; I will cover all expenses.
¸,.•
Mexk
•.,¸

Stand up for what is right, even if you stand alone
¨`'°«„¸¸„»°'
'°«„¸¸„»°'´¨

14-Jan-2024 14:47:26

Mexk
Aug
fmod Member

Mexk

Forum Moderator Posts: 19,631 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mrs Ana said :
Mexk said :

I am doing a complete archive.

>4.1M posts and >53K threads secured as of this writing.

I will be publishing this for those who wish to browse it as an archive.
You're a legend for this. Thanks for your hard work. I'd also be willing to donate if necessary.

You got it; though as mentioned above, no worries about donating!

Local Files said :
We appreciate you, Mexk!

Will you be joining the Discord teams? Would be cool to have your forum and moderator expertise in the team. There’s always more to learn I’ve learned. ;-)

I will be joining the Discord :) .
¸,.•
Mexk
•.,¸

¨`'°«„¸¸„»°'
'°«„¸¸„»°'´¨

14-Jan-2024 14:48:20

Mexk
Aug
fmod Member

Mexk

Aslon Dak said :
Mexk said :
Niick said :
Mexk said :

That's great to hear. Thank you for that!

Would you be able to give more detail on how you managed to back up all of the threads and posts?

I have custom code which iterates through all subforums and all threads. By authenticating as a Forum Moderator, I have slightly different rate limits and am able to run several threads in parallel.

Niick said :

Also, will they look exactly like the forums do now and will we be able to use a search function to find specific posts or threads?

Yes and yes. A few options are available for search, but I will include one.

Thank you so much for doing this, Mexk. Over the many years I have been here, you have been among the most helpful individuals on the RSOF. You are really stepping up where Jagexx continues to disappoint. Your good work is appreciated.

I trust that, once completed, your forum archive will be accessable via the RuneScape website, yes? Any link posted on social media such as Discord would be useless to those like myself, who have no interest in using third-party platforms.

Thanks again. Guthix be with you.

Thank you very much for your kind word, Aslon Dak. I really appreciate it.

Yes, I will be announcing via the forums (as well as other channels, just to make sure).
¸,.•
Mexk
•.,¸

¨`'°«„¸¸„»°'
'°«„¸¸„»°'´¨

14-Jan-2024 14:48:58

Vivek

Vivek

Posts: 4,400 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mexk said :

An archive will be so much fun to read, Mexk, especially in years to come.
Sixth Realm | Community Clan Founded in 2009

14-Jan-2024 16:49:00

Kat Stryke

Kat Stryke

Posts: 2,058 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Vivek said :
Mexk said :

An archive will be so much fun to read, Mexk, especially in years to come.

While it is nice to know my Diary will live on in some form, I am beyond sad to think I will no longer be able to add to it. :(

TBH, it really discourages me from continuing to play this game for much longer.
I've been putting out fire with gasoline! ^_^

Kat's Diary

14-Jan-2024 20:23:57

Evel
Jan Member 2006

Evel

Posts: 3,128 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thank you Mexk for saving the history of Runescape forums .
I know its a dificult task .
I've tried to save a thread that ran for 16 years , was locked for for 7 years before dissapearing to page 51 :(

all the very best :)
*Chrstmas Eve*
:)
~Evel~

14-Jan-2024 22:25:24

Vivek

Vivek

Posts: 4,400 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Kat Stryke said :

While it is nice to know my Diary will live on in some form, I am beyond sad to think I will no longer be able to add to it. :(

TBH, it really discourages me from continuing to play this game for much longer.

You should definitely make a copy and look for another site to continue working on it.

A lot of players use their user pages on the RS Wiki to record achievements, highlights, milestones. You can customise it how you like.
Sixth Realm | Community Clan Founded in 2009

15-Jan-2024 18:51:36

Kat Stryke

Kat Stryke

Posts: 2,058 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Vivek said :
Kat Stryke said :

You should definitely make a copy and look for another site to continue working on it.

A lot of players use their user pages on the RS Wiki to record achievements, highlights, milestones. You can customise it how you like.

Yeah, I have story posts I will be saving, just to make sure I have them.

I had not considered using the RS Wiki in this manner. Thank you for the idea.

TBH, I have not used the RS Wiki for anything other than as a source of game information. I may have to explore this option.

One option I will not be exploring is migrating to some third-party social media cesspool site. Hard pass on that.
I've been putting out fire with gasoline! ^_^

Kat's Diary

15-Jan-2024 19:55:38

Tranq
Nov Member 2007

Tranq

Posts: 61,832 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hopefully since the forums are going by the wayside. Jagex is doing something nice for the remaining F-mods.

Seems only fitting that for all the lashings they took over the years, that saying were cutting you all loose without some form of token of appreciation is just evil.

I think a thank you of some sort should be in order.

PS. I know Tuffty doesn't like discord... I should message him over there just to be a goof...
When the day becomes the night and the sky becomes the sea, when the clock strikes heavy and there’s no time for tea; and in our darkest hour, before my final rhyme, she will come back home to Wonderland and turn back the hands of time.

18-Jan-2024 14:39:29

Quick find code: 14-15-770-65953105 Back to Top