General Forum Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 14-15-770-65953105

Singularity
Aug Member 2023

Singularity

Posts: 97,500 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ownage Omg said :
Singularity said :
Do the servers still noticeably lag at 200+ player counts?
I never thought I'd see the day people would experience lag or complain about servers with such an abysmally low player count lol.

It's been a problem for years on RS3. It's just before the pandemic, player counts on worlds were low enough (around 95-150 per world) that you'd encounter no lag issues at all. Only DXP would be an issue because that drove people to log in.

Ever since the pandemic, worlds are busier now and that means the lag is constantly there. The lag spikes aren't particularly bad or hugely noticeable (especially for low-intensity activities), they are very small and mainly noticeable in intense boss fights. That was enough to make me not want to play at all.

I haven't seen many complaints about it on Reddit for a while. I'm wondering if that's because it got fixed or, like me, people just got fed up and stopped playing.

23-Jun-2020 23:17:34

Ownage Omg

Ownage Omg

Posts: 14,364 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
What do you think the problem is? I think it's just because the servers were never upgraded to handle the heavier load of RS3. Even back in 2012 Pre-EoC I noticed it was gradually becoming more laggy to play.

I was thinking a good solution would be to limit the worlds to 1k instead of 2k but you're saying at 10% capacity it's a problem already lol.
How the hell do people pk and stake? Aren't those worlds 1k+?
Hardstyle
|
@OwnageRS
|
OSRS
|
U
K

23-Jun-2020 23:24:31

Singularity
Aug Member 2023

Singularity

Posts: 97,500 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ownage Omg said :
What do you think the problem is? I think it's just because the servers were never upgraded to handle the heavier load of RS3. Even back in 2012 Pre-EoC I noticed it was gradually becoming more laggy to play.

I was thinking a good solution would be to limit the worlds to 1k instead of 2k but you're saying at 10% capacity it's a problem already lol.

That's exactly the issue. They've kept the same servers and possibly even made some "cutbacks" to them seeing how player count was never really high. Servers were never at max capacity, not even close to it. They probably did something to them to save costs and balanced them for the player counts they consistently had for many years. That could explain why any events that draw more people always lead to laggy servers.

1k limit would make no difference unfortunately. Worlds barely reach 1k players. They actually have to improve them somehow. It's silly how RS3 growing is actually a bad thing because it introduces lag. The lag isn't too bad in the earliest stages, it's almost unnoticeable for lighter activities like skilling, light combat and so on. But it is quite disrupting when you try to do anything intensive as those type of activities are far more sensitive to lag. You'll notice it immediately.

The lag starts gradually. You can first notice it at about 180+ players (only if doing something intensive or if you can notice even the slightest bit of delay). After that, the lag spikes gradually increase as the player count rises. By the time you hit 500 players, you'll notice it even when skilling (especially if trying to get max xp/h rates for example). It just gets worse from thereon.

24-Jun-2020 07:40:53

Seeker
Jun Member 2008

Seeker

Posts: 65,657 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I've seen some telos drop broadcasts over the past couple weeks for what it's worth.

There are also fewer people online now as there have been no content updates since archeology so the people who returned for the skill release might already have left again.

24-Jun-2020 12:07:43

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Posts: 29,016 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ownage Omg said :

I don't do combat-related skills due to can't afford to lose good gear. I can't do combat-related quests, even some of the more easier quests that require dodging and such I have a lot of problems with due to lag - it's not my pc a majority of the time, it's the RS servers.
If fat means flavour then I'm ******* delicious!

24-Jun-2020 13:50:35

Ownage Omg

Ownage Omg

Posts: 14,364 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'm gonna assume it is naturally worse for people who aren't in or near the UK.
OSRS servers haven't had any major lag issues for a while now. I personally haven't experienced it.
I can use both German and UK worlds just fine but I noticed German worlds have become a bit worse as my NL/German friends have moved over to UK worlds.
Hardstyle
|
@OwnageRS
|
OSRS
|
U
K

24-Jun-2020 16:01:22

Quick find code: 14-15-770-65953105 Back to Top