Forums

General Forum Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 14-15-770-65953105

Trewavas
Jun Member 2014

Trewavas

Posts: 28,499 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thanks everyone, and an extra little thank to Twills for taking to time to make that! :D

When you're ready, I'd encourage you to consider completing it, YtHaar-Mej. It has been quite a rewarding experience for me, as I managed to complete an internship at the university itself, completed two language courses and met some political leaders. These things were not related to the course, I just did them as a way of meeting new people and enhancing myself a little. Spend some time researching courses and locations as it really is a fulfilling experience.

I do really appreciate everyone's kind words, hope you're all having a nice weekend!

09-Nov-2019 22:06:47

YtHaar-Mej
Dec Member 2005

YtHaar-Mej

Posts: 25,052 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'd get a MA in the same field as my BA. The university I went to has a grad program for it, and always has a cool selection of course topics.

It'll just be a while before I even bother setting aside time for it with all the stuff I'm involved with right now.
Can I turn in a paper without citing all sources?
"No."[1]
1. William Shakespeare, Hamlet , Act III, Scene 1, line 96.

09-Nov-2019 22:33:38

Spearmint30
Apr Member 2012

Spearmint30

Posts: 23,361 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Finance said :
I did a combined BS/MS and am now about 3.5 years away from finishing a PhD.
That's awesome,
Finance
! I keep telling myself that, one of these days, I'll go back to school and at least lock down an associate degree.
Spearmint30

¤
"I wish there was a way to know you were in the good old days before you actually left them."
¤

10-Nov-2019 05:59:16

YtHaar-Mej
Dec Member 2005

YtHaar-Mej

Posts: 25,052 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Finance said :

Don't do a PhD unless you're really committed to teaching and research for 5+ years...

I think our PhD program is about the same, but there's no commitment to teaching.....only research and grad-level course work.

Though my department doesn't have a regular PhD available, but instead an I.Ph.D. Which tbh could be fun but who knows.
Can I turn in a paper without citing all sources?
"No."[1]
1. William Shakespeare, Hamlet , Act III, Scene 1, line 96.

10-Nov-2019 06:13:35

Loki
Sep Member 2011

Loki

Posts: 65,238 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
YtHaar-Mej said :
Finance said :

Don't do a PhD unless you're really committed to teaching and research for 5+ years...

I think our PhD program is about the same, but there's no commitment to teaching.....only research and grad-level course work.

Though my department doesn't have a regular PhD available, but instead an I.Ph.D. Which tbh could be fun but who knows.
Don't know about the UK, but I know in Australia while I was studying my bachelors, PhD and Masters students had to teach our small tutorials (lectures of about 1k students taught by actual professors, then we had 1hr lessons each week broken into about 20 students where the masters/phd students were there to help us with the lecture content)
• »‡« •
Adam
• »‡« •

Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts.

10-Nov-2019 09:31:58

Jakey Boy
Sep Member 2022

Jakey Boy

Posts: 8,238 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Loki said :
YtHaar-Mej said :
Finance said :

Don't know about the UK, but I know in Australia while I was studying my bachelors, PhD and Masters students had to teach our small tutorials (lectures of about 1k students taught by actual professors, then we had 1hr lessons each week broken into about 20 students where the masters/phd students were there to help us with the lecture content)
A lot of that is optional teaching. It's just nice to get the supplementary income on top of scholarship (or if you aren't on scholarship you'll be teaching a lot). From my understanding this is the same as in the UK, however, lecturing is much less common practice for PhD students there.
200M all skills, Trimmed comp Cape, MQC
White knighting"female" forum users is cringey
Always protect "certain community minded people" no matter what!

10-Nov-2019 14:47:40

Jakey Boy
Sep Member 2022

Jakey Boy

Posts: 8,238 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Finance said :

I'll add to that and say don't do a PhD unless you love academic research in your field and enjoy teaching and you plan to stay in academia quite long term (unless you're going for PhD stats or econs for example, which have quite a lot of uses in industry.
200M all skills, Trimmed comp Cape, MQC
White knighting"female" forum users is cringey
Always protect "certain community minded people" no matter what!

10-Nov-2019 14:49:38

Quick find code: 14-15-770-65953105 Back to Top