Forums

The real reason Forums died

Quick find code: 14-15-470-66293040

Mini JIT
Oct Member 2014

Mini JIT

Posts: 2,211 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
''we've therefore decided to channel more of our staff time and resources into those platforms for improved engagement.''

Load of crap. It's been years since J mods/ community momagers have posted on the forums. Forum mods do not even get paid.

How long before they move the staff away from other platforms and make them work on TH and other pay to win departments?

12-Jan-2024 18:21:35

Apotheostate
Mar Member 2015

Apotheostate

Posts: 1,107 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The real reason is nobody uses them. The main reasons why nobody uses them is because they were outdated 15 years ago and have barely received any updates since then, and Jagex has completely given up on moderating them and left them in control of a handful of trolls and power tripping forum mods who randomly shut down conversations and drive away users for literally no reason at all. You can thank them for the forums finally closing, and good riddance. As terrible as they are in their own rights, Reddit and Discord are so much better than the RSOF it isn't even funny.

Goodbye RSOF, you weren't relevant even in your heyday, and that was over a decade ago. I for one won't miss you.
We should die for the things we believe in
Not live our lives in the dark - self-deceiving

12-Jan-2024 21:40:29

Bruce Waayne
Mar Member 2024

Bruce Waayne

Posts: 4,667 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Apotheostate said :
Bruce Waayne said :
Rs forums are WAAY less "strict" than other forums.

Categorically wrong.

I almost never have my threads locked and i havent been banned in over a decade. Im not going to name names but i eat ALOT of ridiculous bans on other fourms. They are all undeserved and mod power abuse.
OSRS - Filled with harassers sad...~
- Give me Private Hiscores this should not be public information! Goodbye Forumers its been fun.

12-Jan-2024 22:15:06 - Last edited on 12-Jan-2024 22:15:40 by Bruce Waayne

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,311 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Let's look at the reasons Jagex gave us for the closure of the RSOF:

"Right now our forums represent a very small fraction of the discussions happening in the RuneScape community. While we acknowledge their historical significance, their current functionality falls short compared to what external platforms can provide.

It's evident that vital conversations and community voices often get lost, whereas external platforms offer enhanced functionality, including livestreaming 'Stages,' voice chat channels, and more convenient shortcuts to the topics that are most relevant to you.

Given the strong preference for other platforms among our players, we've therefore decided to channel more of our staff time and resources into those platforms for improved engagement."

Let me recall there is thread on the General Forum regarding "removal" of the social media, and I pointed out forums including RSOF and Reddit can never replace the likes of Youtube and Twitch due to their lack of visual and audio support. I know it is unpopular opinion for forum users, but practically Jagex basically just echoed what I opined.

Not just RSOF, text based social media like Reddit aren't too competitive either, but at least they can show us some pictures directly. In the future, maybe if new technologies allow forums to have some kinds of audio and visual features, in addition to just great wall of text of over 9,000 words there may be a renaissance for them.

When there were only RS3 and OSRS, perhaps Jagex could afford to spend on lower return services like the RSOF, but when new kids on the block come now it is not hard to see Jagex feeling the pinch.

TBH, we can read the tea leaves from recent events like streamers they weren't making money so many of them left, we should know Jagex's spending is getting tight even to social medial content creators.

12-Jan-2024 22:19:35

Quick find code: 14-15-470-66293040 Back to Top