Forums

PvP Suggestions and Analysis

Quick find code: 75-76-232-66064576

still speedy
Nov Member 2012

still speedy

Posts: 763 Gold Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Right now the only ways to kill people are to stunlock them or deal a lot of damage. The prior is quite easy to counter since stuns are weak at the moment and the anticipation rotation being easy to learn. Trying to outdps someone's healing is also usually ineffective as you're relying on both RNG and them being bad at eating. Basically there's no way to kill people unless you get lucky. Even if RNG is fixed, the only thing you'd need to focus on in combat is stuns and damage. That kind of system is far too basic in my opinion, especially with how competitive PvP could become. New mechanics need to be introduced which would increase the skill cap and make fighting at the top end more varied, whilst also providing the benefits discussed earlier of giving players something to strive towards. Increasing the skillcap is extremely important as discussed earlier and with the introduction of arenas you wouldn't have to worry as much on the impacts on newer players.

I don't have anything specific in mind except a few new abilities and buffs/debuffs which could be added:

Slowing your opponents attack speed (Increase their GCD)
Chain abilities like needle strike which buff your following hits or debuffing your opponents'
Teleports in mid combat which allow you to move around your opponent (Like surge)
Abilities that hit specific areas for a lot of damage, although can be dodged
Increasing your run speed or decreasing your opponents'
Stealth mode – people can't see you until you run for x squares or deal damage
Wards that absorb damage at a cost (Adrenaline or HP)
Moving your target around like the lava whip can
Stronger bleeds which can be countered
Dodges (avoid next hit and make you move)
Power up abilities that can be avoided or countered (Like detonate)
too weird to live, too rare to die.
Gamebreaker
| Twitter: @Stillspeedy | Fix PvP

30-Nov-2018 16:01:46

still speedy
Nov Member 2012

still speedy

As mentioned earlier a lot of the changes suggested, namely the nerf to phoenix necklaces and overheads, may have made it harder to tank in multiway combat. Despite these changes not having that great of an impact (You could still use pnecks when tanking and overheads are usually down anyways), I've come up with a few solutions which balance the nerf* but may also lead to variety within multiway:

1. Diminishing returns on DPS in multi. This has been needed ever since the legacy changes were introduced, increasing EoC DPS as well as introducing legacy burst damage into multiway. There needs to be something to prevent people from being one shot in multi and I believe this would be a good way of doing that. Basically the more people attacking you, the less damage each person does. This decrease in damage won't necessarily make it possible to tank massive fall-ins, but will definitely be enough to counter the nerfs suggested earlier, whilst also making it easier to tank mid-sized groups.

2. Introduce a new ability called 'souls'. These abilities will be exclusive to multi-way but will also be EoC only for the sake of balancing. Basically when activated you get to choose one 'good' soul and one 'bad' soul. These souls will have effects on your damage dealt, damage taken, adrenaline gain and healing rate. The good aura for damage dealt will be slightly worse than the good aura for damage taken; this way, if you choose to do so, you can take less damage in multi-way at the cost of something else.

These are only ideas but I do think they help to balance the long-standing issues within multi-way, as well as any smaller problems introduced by the changes in this thread.
Gamebreaker

30-Nov-2018 16:02:00

still speedy
Nov Member 2012

still speedy

Lastly, I'd like to take some time to discuss a few badly needed QoL updates:

1. Whenever your target moves off-screen (As in you can't see them any more), their target information disappears. The only way to get it back is to leave combat and attack them again which is not only frustrating but can also mean you lose your adrenaline. This has been asked for many times and I'm surprised nothing has been done about it
2. The size of your buff bar isn't that great and when you have several buffs/debuffs applied to you, some can't be seen at all. An example of this when I activate scrimshaws. The only idea I can see if they're even activate is to check if the time on them is moving down. The size of the buff bar needs to be increased drastically.
3. With all the spells mages need to cast, all the runes they take lead to them having much less inventory space compared to rangers or meleers. A rune pouch similar to the one of osrs needs to be introduced and a great way to do this would be as a reward from the arena or points store discussed earlier.
4. Lunar spells provide an excellent amount of utility which is perfect for multi-way combat. The only problem though is that there is no way to DPS whilst on lunars, making it impossible for mages to provide that utility. DPS spells should be added to multi-way or the utility spells should be changed into abilities usable from any spellbook.
5. Some spells like teleblock will not chase a running target. Instead it'll make you stand still and give you the message that the target is too far away. Spell such as these need to be changed so that they chase down the target instead.
6. More to come...
Gamebreaker

30-Nov-2018 16:02:36

Loki
Sep Member 2011

Loki

Posts: 65,226 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
While I don't particularly have an interest with PvP, I actually support a lot of what's been written in your thread....

Bring back DarkScape <3
• »‡« •
Adam
• »‡« •

Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts.

30-Nov-2018 16:40:58

Quick find code: 75-76-232-66064576 Back to Top