Forums

Archaeology Relics

Quick find code: 74-75-372-66284682

DarknessJak
Jan Member 2018

DarknessJak

Posts: 463 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Can you give us a separate column for skilling Relics, that way we can have 3 Combat related Relics and 3 Skilling related Relics active at the same time, that way I don't have to keep spending excess amounts of money on swapping out my Relics every hour, thanks.

04-Aug-2023 18:00:15

A  Cole
Nov Member 2003

A  Cole

Posts: 14,682 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
This would crash the market for chronotes.

Perhaps if there was a way for cheaper switches between skilling and combat relics, I could get behind that. However, I don't think a completely free switch would be completely beneficial.

~A~

04-Aug-2023 20:42:10

Rikornak
Oct Member 2013

Rikornak

Posts: 9,169 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It's just really not a well designed system, if performance increasing (which technically would include skilling perks as well, but I could get behind those being a distinct category either, since you won't use them at the same time as combat effects) and utility/QoL things are in the same pool - and it usually just leads to the latter not really used.

Before it was entirely abolished world of warcraft had had a similar system with glyphs, which came in three flavours: prime (outright damage/healing increase or adding additional effects to certain abilities, that bascially can be translated into the same), major (combat utility, replacing features of abilities with others or changing the weightings of things - for instance an ability could be cheaper to use, but deal less damage) and minor (cosmetic or sometimes minor QoL) with three slots each. Before that major and prime were within the same pool and guess what - with some extremely few examples players just haven't bothered using the things, that later were considered 'major'. They later entirely abolished major and prime glyphs entirely, made their a lot of their effects baseline and reduced minor glyphs to be cosmetic only - allowing you to use as many of them as you want though.

Obviously having separated slots for those categories doesn't imply they would be free to change in the first place - no matter, whether you want some other piece of combat or skilling utility or QoL thingy. If it just was about switching things for free they could go the OS route - let players pay a tremendous amount of chronotes for switching powers free of charge afterwards. Which actually was even proposed by a jmod quite some time ago.

In general it won't hurt if the relic system was just thought anew.
Improvements: Tooltip / (F2P) QoL v2
Quick Fixes: Invention

05-Aug-2023 07:58:47 - Last edited on 05-Aug-2023 09:01:30 by Rikornak

Deltaslug

Deltaslug

Posts: 32,671 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I have to agree with Riknorak.

The mechanic pulls a little from Anachronia Totems, Guthix Memorial Memory Effects, and even Player Owned Farm perks.

You can only have so many active at once.
- you can only have 3 totems active
- you can only have so many Memorial divination perks active
- you can only have so many animal pens for all of your choices for animals

Granted, some perks/effects are very situational. Some don't work with your play style. Some you wouldn't use because you don't do that activity anymore for whatever reason.
ie: The Crystal Totem isn't useful if you aren't pickpocketing elves. The nopenopenope PoF perk isn't useful if you don't fight spiders or arraxor.

Though if you do a lot of Abyssal Runecrafting, you almost have to have Nexus Mod and Pouch Protector.

There are some that the effect is useful, but probably works best as the kind of perk you turn on and off.
- Always Adze ... if I'm training WC and FM, yeah. But if I want logs, I really need to turn it off
- Death Note ... if I'm needing to collect bones/ashes, it's a great effect. But if I want to minimize it, then I need to turn it off
- Flow state ... great for archaeology training to efficiently get relics. But I probably wouldn't want it as a permanent buff.

05-Aug-2023 16:34:08

Deltaslug

Deltaslug

Posts: 32,671 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
At the same time, I agree there are some that can be turned into permanent buffs.
But not all.
And they should have some sort of cost to "overcharge" and make permanent.

Permanent Tier 4 luck isn't as broken as one might think. We sacrifice a Luck of the Dwarves Ring for it. It's probably ok to make it permanent.

Pouch Protector is niche and fits as a nice RC buff. Works fine as a permanent buff. But. It probably should come with a cost to make it permanent to offset the minor goldsink.

05-Aug-2023 16:37:23

Rikornak
Oct Member 2013

Rikornak

It's probably also the case of they 'basically' using the same system over and over again, but not wanting to use it identically.

Memorial has no effects, that could be regarded integral (and some are imho nothing more than horrible trade-offs - jagex just never was good in designing those), so you choose the things, that just fit to whatever you're doing right now. And you could freely switch them out once weekly whenever you want to re-focus.

Totems are basically the same, albeit they already feature things, that could be considered integral for certain pieces of content - especially the treasure trail one. And switching them out is certainly way more inconvenient, that it would be for other systems - albeit obviously not as hated as the relic power system is.

POF is a bit weird - the first one had had lots of effects dedicated to rather exotic activities (chickens became much better with the introduction of accidental firemaking/fletching and spiders always had their purpose for doing araxxor), but the second one has lots and lots of effects, that'll buff up your skilling and combat capabilities - most of them in the massively overstretched large pens. Switching them out certainly is no issue at all, albeit you obviously would lose out on your desired perk if you need/want to breed other animals - like a lot of players did with sheep in preparation for necromancy now for instance.

06-Aug-2023 06:21:05

Rikornak
Oct Member 2013

Rikornak

The relics are a bit more interesting for that matter. Some of them can become (partially) redundant by unlocks/features from other content - albeit that's usually the skilling stuff, not the combat thingies.

- Always adze will basically never be used again, as soon as you got access to the super heat form, since it just allows you to toggle on and off said effect. Of course it costs some upkeep initially, but you can improve it further by getting the orthen furnace core (obviously you'd rather have the fyrtorch, but it's free to use with it), the grace of elves amulet (which is enough for permanent upkeep just with the ritual shard) and its dark onyx core enchantment - the latter making it entirely free to use.
- Sticky fingers historically was made partially redundant by the master camouflage outfit (and certain other effects that allowed you to auto pickpocket in certain places) and when that effect was made baseline it got replaced by something new, which was actually able to synergize with the outfit in the first place.
- Endurance basically is unneeded as soon as you got access to the salt water spring, the globetrotter outfit or stamina potions.
- Persistent rage is partially made redundant by the infernal puzzle box - since that item would have made the effect entirely baseline, it just got buffed to what it is now.
- Shadow's grace basically is the mobile invention perk and they do not stack with one another.
- You basically can make pouch protector passive by using the infinity ethereal set and the runecrafting catalyst fragment. The lesser pouches do not degrade at all with that setup, the massive one very slowly (albeit I am not sure if that is some bug, considering the others do not at all).

06-Aug-2023 06:35:12

Rikornak
Oct Member 2013

Rikornak

Fairly sure they're doing those things so players wouldn't feel as obliged to switch out their effects as often. But it's typical - rather than fixing the issue as a whole - it's obvious none of the systems is as hated as the relics considering how often those posts show up both in the forums and on reddit - they just tackle it on an extremely low level.

The upcoming necromancy talent system also is one the same kind. Big difference - no option to respec, so mistakes can't be amended - but eventually you'll have everything baseline.

06-Aug-2023 06:40:43

Quick find code: 74-75-372-66284682 Back to Top