Forums

[] TWB

Quick find code: 49-50-997-63681699

[#QYQ24UHXT]

[#QYQ24UHXT]

Posts: 318 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I don’t know how she got in here. I don’t know how she got the cuffs off. And I don’t know how long it’s been. The days stopped meaning anything a long time ago.

Eve looks at me, and doesn’t speak.

Lying on my cot, I don’t say anything to her either. I stare at her eyes. They’re purple. They’re magic and mystery and beauty. And they look like they’re going to cry.

She takes something out of her bag and places it on the floor. I don’t care to see what it is. I just stare into her eyes. I stare into her colors that make the white walls expand, and the box feels just a little bit bigger, even if for only a moment.

She steps away, walking slowly toward that corner. She casts me one final look, a look of pain and regret and sorrow. Her eyes are shining. And they’re pouring white tears.

Her voice trembling, I hear her speak one last time.

“Your name is Canvas. You’re a painter.”

She disappears from my life.

I look down at the floor.

Laying there, unmoved, eternal, and alive, is a palette and a brush.

I once thought white was the most beautiful thing in the world. Then I discovered color, and whiteness lost all meaning and importance. It became something ugly, something dead and emotionless. But now I realize that I was wrong twice.

Because whiteness is every color there is. Hidden. Waiting.

My strokes are light and wispy, hatching the surface of the white floor with precision and purpose. I’m careful, very careful to not step where the paint is still fresh. I’ve never done this before, but it feels like this is all I was ever meant to do.

The air smells clean and pure, and the hard floor softens.

My strokes are broad and wide, bathing the ceiling with deep, immense hues, and size that I can’t even begin to fathom. I strain to recall everything I heard in stories to match its splendor. My paint could never do it justice though. It will never be the perfection I envision.

12-Apr-2012 08:20:53

[#QYQ24UHXT]

[#QYQ24UHXT]

Posts: 318 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The ceiling falls away, and the sky is sprawling and limitless.

My strokes are light-hearted, jovial, and happy, creasing the walls with an intricate beauty. I don’t know what houses look like, exactly. I wonder where Eve would live. I don’t dare to try to paint it. The image is too fragile.

The world is filled with laughter and joy.

My strokes are strong, bold, and confident. These are now my keepers, my vanguards of peace and rest that shield me from the sparkling sun. Maybe Eve would cover the sky with a few clouds, and she would share with me an apple plucked from this strong, handsome tree.

The sun is warm and loving, and its light doesn’t hurt my eyes.

It beams over immaculate pink and white houses, glistening on the lakes that cast an ethereal shimmer around this universe.

And I wonder if it looks anything like Seers Village.

Pressing a hand against the bark of the apple tree, I realize that I’ll never know. I’ll never know if this is how a tree really smells, if this is how grass really looks, or if this is how warm the sun really feels. I’ll never know outside. I’ll never know so much.

It all still feels like the white walls. And yet, those walls have no power here.

Don’t you dare, Canvas.

Crying will make the colors run.

So I resist the urge. And instead I sit in the shade of the tree I have made, and I don’t think of anything. Nothing at all. I am at peace, and I know in my heart that this is the first time.

“I’ll never know.” My voice sounds warm and familiar.

I think one last time of all the friends I know that I’ll never meet, of all the things I heard of that I’ll never see.

Then I look up at the branches of the tree. And I smile.

One is thicker than the rest. Mightier.

Yes.

I think I’ll look good there.

I pick up my brush.

//=The End

12-Apr-2012 08:21:29

Quick find code: 49-50-997-63681699 Back to Top