Forums

Touching RuneScape Poem

Quick find code: 49-50-667-65318861

Mote Plox
Oct Member 2023

Mote Plox

Posts: 155 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The backstory on the author:

If you were fortunate enough to be apart of RuneScape back in the olden days during 04 - 07, then you'll probably recognize the name N0valyfe. N0valyfe began playing RuneScape during July of 04, and retired from his adventure during November of 06. Through out his time playing for the short time that he did, he achieved all 99 skills, and eventually overtook the rank of the famous, and well-known, Zezima. His progress was truly admirable.

N0valyfe owned a website where he documented his RuneScape progress from the time he began, until the time he retired, and then some for when the holiday events occurred every year as they do. His website has been long-gone for years now, and all of his pictures and journal entries along with them. I religiously viewed his website all the time, not for the admiration I had of his rankings, but for his philosophies about life, friendship, and RuneScape. Below is a poem I managed to find in the rubble of his old, shut down website.

I read this poem years ago, and stumbled back onto it today. It still reminds me why I continue to play RuneScape (oldschool) today each time I read it. It is long, but the ending words are worth the read. I'm 20 years old today, and I began playing when I was 10. This game was a big part of my childhood, and growing up today is scary enough as it is, so it's nice to still have this one thing that reminds me that all of my childish things have still not withered away inside me.

The poem was orignally written in stanzas, but to be able to post it here, I had to put it all in paragraphs, thus unfortunately making it look more like a story. I apologize.

Continue to the next thread for the poem by N0valyfe, and the words he left us all with after retiring for good:

07-Mar-2014 21:48:06 - Last edited on 07-Mar-2014 23:35:22 by Mote Plox

Mote Plox
Oct Member 2023

Mote Plox

Runescape,
My Story So Far...

"...I awoke on Tutorial Island, in a place entirely new to me. Dazed, I walked around and started to explore. I came across islanders who asked my name. I replied, "N0valyfe," from a distant dream. They showed me the ways of Runescape. Parting the island, I met Dest9026 in Lumbridge. I knew him in a former life, he said. I patiently lent an ear as he showed me more. Tutorial Island was but a grain of sand! Giant cities and frightening creatures lay beyond. I set out to advance my skills. Friends came before and after me. I journeyed new lands with Finaltank, quested bravely and fought valiantly against demons and dragons. The Legends Guild welcomed me. I joined The Gladiatorz, fought their wars, and embraced them as my clan. I discovered many worlds out there, but found World 48 to be my home. Time passed quickly. I grew fond of fletching, and tired of mining. The friends I knew drifted, and sought their own paths and adventures. Dest9026 founded his own clan; Finaltank became a Gladiatorz officer; Monkpunk_24 left Runescape completely. The slayer skill came, and with it came riches. The masters spoke of wild beasts. Vast fortunes poured into my bank as I slayed for grand prizes. I sold items never before seen in this land. I used my new wealth to refine my crafts, In ways I have only dreamt about. I opened shops on the forums to establish my trade. Trades upon trades. The dates on the calendar flew by. I retired the market scene and pursued the arts of combat. Sword and shield grew heavy. I returned to the rural life of a farmer. My hands were stronger, my will more enduring. I met Runescapers older and wiser than I, who told captivating tales of the past. I listened intently and became a student once more, learning the art of Runecrafting from Scarfuncle, and getting a taste of publicity. I didn't neglect my travels as more of the world opened before me:

07-Mar-2014 21:48:34 - Last edited on 07-Mar-2014 22:01:23 by Mote Plox

Mote Plox
Oct Member 2023

Mote Plox

I journeyed to Juna's twilight-lit cavern, and recited tales of past adventures. I climbed high above Ice Mountain, to find the lone and dying ancient White Tree. I helped dwarves in need and played parts of deceit and deception. There was peace while fishing, and senseless death running agility courses. There was relief as I stumbled out of the desert, and finished mining under the hot desert sun. I seeked the wisdom of Duradel, and completed my training as a slayer of beasts. Friends and clansmen gathered around, as I proudly mastered my final skill. Freed from the shackles of training, I roamed Gielinor. I learned spells blessed by the Gods, visited the enchanting Mage Training Arena, found peaches as a new fruit source, and stood triumphant over a dead TzTok-Jad. I settled next to the quiet fire of the Rogue's Den to cook away sharks and time. Friends and faces passed like a blur at the Den, and bustling action soon replaced solitary silence. I stayed at the Den for many months, as chefs came for their skill mastery and left; Still I cooked. Breaking news arrived to stop my culinary ventures. "Runescape Housing is Here!" the posters proclaimed. Eager as always, I set forth to build chairs, tables, rooms, and soon a modest home. Standing among friends once again, I hammered away at my final Mahogany armchair, as guests celebrated another mastered craft. I traveled back to the Den, and cooked until I could cook no more. (200M exp) Hungry for action now, I traveled to the Champions Guild to seek my next challenge. Ten champions await, Larxus explained. I geared up to endure days of fighting. One by one, each champion lay defeated. With victory at my side, I began to fletch in Lumbridge basement. This I outgrew as time went on. But as I found friends with cooking, I now found loyalties through fletching. Business reaped profits slowly but surely.

07-Mar-2014 21:49:12 - Last edited on 07-Mar-2014 22:02:49 by Mote Plox

Mote Plox
Oct Member 2023

Mote Plox

I began to explore my wealth with rares and collectibles and joined in to fight for my clan in bloody wars and battles. A most glorious day came to pass when I celebrated my labors of fletching. The masters I once turned to for training rewarded me with distinguished capes. Though never imprisoned, I felt free to roam the world. My freedom took me to the pyramid of Sophanem where I plundered for treasure. The Pharaoh Scepter found, I continued to plunder for experience. soon I found myself at the very top, where hundreds of Runescapers welcomed my rank. I chose to step down and retired from experience forever, for the toughest battles have been fought, and victories already won. I spent my retirement hunting Chompy birds and protecting Void Knights. I made Gnome cuisines, Hunted metal dragons, and brewed rum. New friends were discovered at the Dagonnot* Kings, old ones found at the Kalphite Queen. Time trickled to an end as I made my goodbyes and drifted off into deep slumber at Lumbridge where I began so long ago..."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And, as mentioned above before the poem, here is N0valyfe's last documented words to us all:

" If I could give one parting piece of advice, let Runescape remind you that life must be lived as an adventure. Every gold piece you make, every ore you mine, every monster you slay, is ultimately towards your own heart's desires--why must anything you do elsewhere be different? When your time has come, keep not the weighted burdens of hardships and pains but the priceless gems of experiences, friendships, and passions imparted by the spirit of this game. Fellow Runescapers, may your best adventures lie ahead.

Thank you all.
N0valyfe,

July 1 2004 to November 3 2006"

07-Mar-2014 22:03:01 - Last edited on 07-Mar-2014 22:22:58 by Mote Plox

Mayberry

Mayberry

Posts: 5,530 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
That was quite difficult to read. I'm not sure I'd class it as a poem, but it was quite a nice story I guess.
"I pretend like no one else to try control myself"

@ElysianDust

07-Mar-2014 23:24:28 - Last edited on 07-Mar-2014 23:24:46 by Mayberry

Mote Plox
Oct Member 2023

Mote Plox

Original message details are unavailable.
That was quite difficult to read. I'm not sure I'd class it as a poem, but it was quite a nice story I guess.

Just imagine all of it organized in stanzas, as it originally was. Maybe that'd help! :) haha

Original message details are unavailable.
Wow that was a very good story. That last bit was pretty touching.

I'm glad we share the same opinion.
:)

07-Mar-2014 23:29:15 - Last edited on 07-Mar-2014 23:36:07 by Mote Plox

Quick find code: 49-50-667-65318861 Back to Top