Forums

Short Stories

Quick find code: 49-50-526-31637980

Anne Lauten

Anne Lauten

Posts: 3,830 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
A girl in one house. Age fourteen. It was she who had drawn his steps. Sick, dying of a lingering disease which she had not the will to fight. While the other children, asleep in their beds, had wished with their last wakeful thought for a doll, or a puzzle, or perhaps a puppy, she had wished for death, and she did not sleep.

Quickly his mind was made up. He walked though the red brick wall, into her room. The air was heavy with the smell of sickness, an abrupt change from the crisp air of the street. Perfume laced its way though the room, lavender and rose. Across the room, a bowl of fruit was depicted in muted colours, hushing the lively pink walls.

The girl saw him. Saw him as no other person that day had seen, with the partially clouded eyes of a creature whom life has abandoned. Truly.

Tattered black robes hid his figure, cascading onto the carpet like some dark stream. A rough stick clasped in one bony hand, ending in a great curving expanse of scythe. His hood was thrown back, revealing an empty skull from which crimson eyes shone. Bare bones rasped gently together as he moved, circling the room.

"Merry Christmas," she whispered, baiting him, her voice carrying an evil edge. He turned back to her, leaning forward. "Say something," she said, mocking. "Why are you so silent?"

He let her rant, feeling each word as they bounced roughly off his soul. His only weakness. Most dying people were frightened, some happy, some bitter. None had so spoken to him. None had concentrated so on wounding him. His only weakness.

He could not speak.

For a moment he considered leaving, denying her wish. Let her stay alone, in pain. Then he reached out, taking her hot hand in his own cold, bony, one. "Merry Christmas," she whispered spitefully, smiling.

14-Dec-2007 23:18:22

Anne Lauten

Anne Lauten

For a second, he felt that quick, vicious, joy that comes to a being who takes life and has no regrets, then it faded away and he was left empty, the heavy scent of rose blanketing him in sickly sweetness.

The church echoed slightly, amplifying soft footsteps. He sat alone, staring at the carving, at the stained glass. He wasnt sure exactly why he was there, perhaps to escape the clamouring street. It was quiet here.

Someone was coming up now behind him. "Are you all right now dearie?" a voice asked, anxiously. Peering down at him was the bespectacled face of an older women, not quite elderly, with her grey-white hair tucked into a neat bun. Worried at receiving no response, she seated herself carefully at his side. "Would you like a cup of tea? Come along now, dont sit here in the cold. Its Christmas! Come in now, and warm up."

She rose, looking inquiringly into his face. He stood. It wouldnt hurt to follow her, he thought. After all, her heart was weak . . .

He hadnt killed her. She had taken him into her home, a little place by the church, and given him tea, which he surreptitiously poured away. Since then she had been talking, happy to have found a listener. He, to his surprise, was having a good time.

She didnt seemed to notice his lack of speech. "My husband, though, he died only a few years back," she said, sadness creeping into her voice. "He fell from a ladder, putting up a birdbox."

Death winced. He remembered that day. The man had been in good health, happy, a loving husband and father . . .

"I do miss him," she continued. "Thats why I came to the church in fact, I couldnt sleep. Are you married?"

He shook his head.

"Such a pity, handsome young man like you. Just havent met that special someone?"

He shrugged.

14-Dec-2007 23:20:31

Anne Lauten

Anne Lauten

"I know the feeling, thought Id never find a man before I met Evard. But we just clicked right together, like wed been that way for years. Like finding my missing piece." She smiled encouragingly. "Youll have that someday, trust me." Seeing the clock, she started. "Dear me, its getting quite late, or early, shall I say?"

Looking up as well, he nodded.

"Well, if you ever feel lonely, do come by and talk to me. Ive not had such a good time in years. Youve made my Christmas special, you have."

He rose, gathering up his hat. For the first time in a long while, he did not feel unhappy. The kindness and warmth which the old woman had shown him, a complete stranger, was unexpected and . . . nice.

Right then, he wished with all he nonexistent heart to speak, to thank her. And his wish came true. "Thank you," he heard a voice say, realising it as his own, "Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas!" she called after him, turning back into the house. Such a kind young man . . .

Another person observed Deaths retreating figure with a smile. It was late, and he had much ground to cover, but he couldnt resist bringing happiness, even to the being whom most would argue didnt deserve it.

Watching the grim reaper, he laughed merrily, a hanging lanterns light revealing his identity. The man from the bar.

"An all shall show mercy," he murmured, "an their wish come then true." Santa smiled, turning away. "Merry Christmas."

14-Dec-2007 23:22:14

Quick find code: 49-50-526-31637980 Back to Top