Forums

Guild: The Broken Pencil

Quick find code: 49-50-346-63535376

VonDerThWood
Jan Member 2020

VonDerThWood

Posts: 2,195 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hello, and welcome to The Broken Pencil, one of the oldest guilds around. Applications are on the seventh post! But on to the history of the guild!
Oh, no, don’t pay attention to the post date. This guild lived and hibernated back in 2008, with 121snake121, now known as Silver Snake, as its head and leader.
However, Snake put the Pro in procrastinate. He let his guild perish.
Some time later, a year or so by my best guess, I decided to revive The Broken Pencil and completely revamp it. Originally, it was based upon word count and story length--quantity, not quality. Such was the curse of the pencils the stories were scribbled with.
The more they wrote, the shorter the pencil became. The longer the length, the shorter the life of the pencil…until one day, said pencil would snap from overuse.
What would that leave us with? A wooden stub, with lead just long enough to possibly scrawl out another letter or two, but we would have to move on to a newer pencil. Preferably number 2, mind you.
Such a loophole had to be fixed, and so I decided to tweak the foundations of the guild to fit the more commonly accepted guild--quality, not quantity.

With all of that boring and technical doo-dah, out of the way, welcome to my guild. I look to be a harsh and efficient guild master, though I cannot promise you that I’ll be timely.
Signatures will be given out to all who join!
Each story will be reviewed by two reviewers before the average score and decision upon rank is made. Please note that your review score does not always have something to do with your rank. The reviewers should discuss what to rank you after they both have reviewed.
Please note that we will review any story of yours, even if you're already a member. Your best work will decide your rank. If you have a grade-A story and one that should be trashed, your grade-A will decide your rank

27-Jan-2012 07:37:05 - Last edited on 30-Jan-2012 03:14:57 by VonDerThWood

VonDerThWood
Jan Member 2020

VonDerThWood

The Ranks:
New Pencil--This is the lowest rank, but do not get discouraged if you find yourself here. You can, and will, work yourself up in rank. I do not look forward to sticking people here, but if your story is too riddled with errors and plotholes, grammatical abortion, and overloaded with nonsense and the like, you will find yourself here.
Signature: ~I’ve just received my pencil~TBP New Pencil
Pencilitis--This is the rank right above New Pencil. This rank shouldn’t be difficult to achieve. Your story still needs work, needs error fixes and the like, but it is at the very least somewhat enjoyable. Perhaps you have too many errors to give your great plot a higher ranking, or maybe you’re just lacking that pizzazz that’d get you a much more respected ranking. Whatever it is, fix it!
Signature: ~I’ve contracted Pencilitis!~TBP Pencilitis
Chewed #2--This is an odd rank. Your story is enjoyable, has few errors, and has some pizzazz*but it’s lacking something vital. Maybe a character or two just seem so flat and thin that if you blew at your screen, they could fly away? Perhaps your style doesn’t appeal to your reviewer(s)? Whatever the reason, you should be proud nonetheless. This rank is a little harder to reach than the previous one. You’ve put a good bit of work into your story. Wear your signature proudly, but don’t quit here. Keep it up.
Signature: ~I’ve began to gnaw on my pencil!~TBP Chewed #2
Short Pencil--This is quite an achievement. If you’re here, you’re almost to the top. Yes, you’re nearly there--nearly a legend amongst us. A god amongst the authors. But you’re not. You’re just a short pencil. Why stop now? Just because you’ve earned quite a bit of respect? No, you have to earn it all…you shouldn’t stop here. Your story is excellent, your style is to die for and your mistakes are minimal…keep going man, you’re impressive.
Signature: ~My pencil has almost broken from overuse!~TBP Short Pencil

27-Jan-2012 07:37:52 - Last edited on 30-Jan-2012 03:17:00 by VonDerThWood

VonDerThWood
Jan Member 2020

VonDerThWood

Inksplatter--Welcome to the highest rank. You’re quite good at this. The number of mistakes you’ve made is so minimal that it’s scary. Your plot is incredible, your characters are life-like and you hooked our reviewers from the get-go. You’ve written so well that a mere pencil could not handle your awesomeness. As such, you upgraded to a pen…but, as your name implies, it has shattered, spewing its ink all over the walls.
Signature: !~I upgraded to a pen, but now there are Inksplatters everywhere!~!TBP Inksplatter
Reviewer--You're the heart and soul of our guild. Without you, this guild would surely perish.
Signature: ~My pencil has a quite large eraser...time to correct mistakes!~TBP Reviewer
Councilman--Oh how wonderful you are. Intelligent, logical, respectable...if you're in my council, I trust your judgement. I only want six council members at first, perhaps up to twelve, but no more than twelve...eleven, and myself.
Signature: ~I am one of the ultimate Pencil Pushers!~TBP Councilman

27-Jan-2012 07:38:05 - Last edited on 30-Jan-2012 03:19:07 by VonDerThWood

VonDerThWood
Jan Member 2020

VonDerThWood

Reviewers!
VonDerThWood--Guild Master Letters
Lebbeh--Councilman Leb--First Reviewer
Xanthian93--Councilman Mitch
Poller5--Poller
Darkwitchs86--Dark
Council Members! (3/12)
VonDerThWood--Guild Master Letters
Lebbeh--Councilman Leb--First Council member chosen
Xanthian93--Councilman Mitch

27-Jan-2012 07:38:37 - Last edited on 01-Feb-2012 21:23:19 by VonDerThWood

VonDerThWood
Jan Member 2020

VonDerThWood

~Endorsed Threads~ (ask for an endorsement)
The Word by Dreamweaver.
QFC: 49-50-828-63486323
The Word is the (un)official Friends Chat of the Stories Forum! Come on in in-game today!

27-Jan-2012 07:38:48 - Last edited on 30-Jan-2012 03:06:55 by VonDerThWood

VonDerThWood
Jan Member 2020

VonDerThWood

Applications:
=To join as a member=
Name of Story:
QFC:
Rank you expect:
Why do you want to join?:
Do you have any requests for the reviewer?:
Out of all of our reviewers, are there any two you'd prefer?:
=To join as a reviewer=
Who are you?:
Can you honestly review pieces of work without bias?:
Why should I let you help me run my guild?:
Will you contribute as much as possible? We do need real helpers here!:
=To join as a council member=
PM me in-game, or post your reasons here,preferably the former, but go ahead.:
What makes you so special?:
Why should I let you into my council?:
Are you intelligent enough to run this guild in case of my absence?:
Can you help review when needed?:
In the case that the council has to vote, will you place all bias aside?:

27-Jan-2012 07:39:08 - Last edited on 30-Jan-2012 03:02:57 by VonDerThWood

VonDerThWood
Jan Member 2020

VonDerThWood

Rating Scale for Reviews
Reviews are 200 points.
Grammar/Spelling--20 points. Self explanatory. If your grammar is horrid, your score will suffer.
Plot--40 points. Plotholes will NOT assist you. I can promise you that.
Character development--40 points. Characters are the very heart of every story. Don't under-develop them, but don't overdevelop them either.
The Hook--10 points. If you can't hook a reader, how do you expect to hook a reviewer?
Sensual Feeling--10 points. Our senses are what rage when we read. Can you create a sense of happiness? Sadness? Hatred? Paint us a pretty picture!
Overall enjoyment and miscellaneous things--60 points. Everything else falls here. If the story was a great read, you get some points, and so on.
Special Something--20 points. There is no real explanation. This is whatever gives your story that extra oomph. Really, bonus points. If your reviewer feels that your story deserves extra points, this is where s/he is free to do so.
TOTAL--X/200 points.
==This is also posted on the first post.:==
Each story will be reviewed by two reviewers before the average score and decision upon rank is made. Please note that your review score does not always have something to do with your rank. The reviewers should discuss what to rank you after they both have reviewed.

27-Jan-2012 07:39:21 - Last edited on 27-Jan-2012 07:54:50 by VonDerThWood

VonDerThWood
Jan Member 2020

VonDerThWood

The Waiting List (let's not fill this, shall we?):
Mitch--Untitled. QFC: 49-50-174-63252202 (Page 2, posts 4-7)
Mors Et Vita--Love, We Should Get You a Tailor for That Beauty QFC: 49-50-288-63175040 (Page 1 Posts 7-9)
Dreamweaver--Wino the Rhino QFC: 49-50-691-49415905 (Assorted Tales, page 2, post 6)

27-Jan-2012 07:39:40 - Last edited on 10-Feb-2012 22:46:15 by VonDerThWood

Quick find code: 49-50-346-63535376 Back to Top