Forums

Events & Comps FSR's

Quick find code: 42-43-386-65912728

Mod Kalaya

Mod Kalaya

Jagex Moderator Forum Profile Posts by user
Hey guys,

In line with the new rules trial we have reviewed all the forum FSR's and have updated those in need of changing.

Coming to the Events and Competitions FSR's, we made changes only a few month ago to combat the prevalence of fake giveaways and scams. I haven't changed those FSR's yet as I'd like the community's thoughts on whether those rules should stay - catch up on them here

The aim of the rule change is to minimise moderation and only take action when absolutely necessary for protection of the forums, which keeping these FSR's could possibly disrupt. However, neither do we want to allow fake threads and time-wasters back here.

Specifically, I am interested in whether the community thinks this section of the Events & Competitions FSR's should remain:

No giveaway-only threads are allowed here.

This means no drop parties, no in-game giveaways are to be advertised here.

You may advertise your event and give prizes away as part of that event, but you may not post solely about any prize giveaways, and you must make no mention of what prizes will be available.

Look forward to reading your thoughts - I'd like to make any changes by the end of next week if we can agree :)
Mod Kalaya |
Zarosian
Product Manager | @JagexKalaya

19-May-2017 11:52:07 - Last edited on 19-May-2017 12:09:31 by Mod Kalaya

Iceberg
Sep Member 2008

Iceberg

Posts: 20,587 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
To be honest there have been very few, if any, incidents in the last couple of years that I'm aware of involving people not turning up to their own give-away events. They aren't posted particularly often either.

I think at the very least low-prize events should be allowed to advertise (such as bonds, 10m gp, etc.)
… .
_|¯¯¯|_

… …
( '
v
' )
.……
I
C
E
B
E
R
G

>--
(
:
)
--<

19-May-2017 13:39:47

Miss Misty
Aug Member 2020

Miss Misty

Posts: 10,793 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I think that the ability to advertise an events and allow for the advertisement of potential prizes is a really good shout and am in agreement for giveaway events not being allowed if that is the sole content of the thread.

The giveaway threads leave it open to scamming, luring etc and take away the fun of a community event where prizes could or could not be there.

I think the "no-show" hosts line isn't really necessary, almost seems like a personal attacks on those that have missed it, and of course you can get no shows to both giveaway events and other community events like penguin tours etc. So I would personally take this out or put it as a more generalised comment.

Sorry to disagree Iceberg! :') And hey dude, long time no speak :D
`·.„¸¸,.¤
*°‘°•
}{
•°‘°*
¤.,¸¸„.·´
·.·:!¡ïÏï¡!:·.·
Miss Misty
·.·:!¡ïÏï¡!:·.·
Owner - Montys Crusaders

19-May-2017 15:02:09

Chief Elf
Apr Member 2017

Chief Elf

Posts: 5,115 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
How's it going, Kalaya?

About the portion "
post that prizes are being given away, but you can't state what they are
".. eons ago when I first read that, I questioned whether this applied to all types of events. If the stipulation only applies to giveaway threads, then please make it on the same paragraph as the giveaway rule and clarify that that is the case.

If this is not the case, I personally feel like it's challenging if competition hosts are not able to publicise what the prizes are. For example, I want to create a competition thread where participants have to come up with a witty caption for an image. The wittiest caption wins. In providing information about the competition, I would've preferred if I was able to disclose the prizes.

If people are aware of the prizes (for example three bonds), it becomes more enticing and attracts more participants. If the competition is held regularly such as on a monthly basis, gradually, the thread will increase in popularity as more players become aware of it and people start talking.
Mental Health
|
Sweaty Fingers
|
Mod Meadows

19-May-2017 15:37:16

Vera

Vera

Posts: 16,334 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Iceberg said :
I think at the very least low-prize events should be allowed to advertise (such as bonds, 10m gp, etc.)
Miss Misty said :
I think that the ability to advertise an events and allow for the advertisement of potential prizes is a really good shout and am in agreement for giveaway events not being allowed if that is the sole content of the thread.
Chief Elf said :
If this is not the case, I personally feel like it's challenging if competition hosts are not able to publicise what the prizes are...If people are aware of the prizes (for example three bonds), it becomes more enticing and attracts more participants.
Agreed with all of the above!

- No pure giveaways allowed, must involve some sort of competition activity
- Should be allowed to state what the prizes for a competition are
VIVLOVESVIX
(click mee)

Very Vera | Join Nomad ! | Inform Yourselves | Forum Help

19-May-2017 17:24:31

Erehk

Erehk

Posts: 15,453 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I think that it should be okay for threads to mention specifics about prizes that're associated with events/competitions, as long as those prizes are associated with an event/competition and not a giveaway-only type of thing.
@RS_Erehk

19-May-2017 22:10:51 - Last edited on 19-May-2017 22:27:53 by Erehk

Amygdala MD

Amygdala MD

Posts: 359 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'd say scrap these regulations. There's little reason to keep them in place, and they have a very much condescending feel to them, wherein Jagex decides for its customers what to trust and whatnot.

Although pure give-away items, not in the sense of a drop-party event or some form of event/competition in any other sense associated with it, I'd say could be considered as off-topic within the events and competitions subforum. I'd say it shouldn't be disallowed on the forums in general.

20-May-2017 08:01:27

Polly Pore

Polly Pore

Posts: 3 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I don't see any problem with giveaway threads. They exist on Reddit and Twitter already. Limiting the forums further isn't really doing much to make them safer and will only drive more of the already shrinking user base further away.

20-May-2017 16:27:22

Erehk

Erehk

Posts: 15,453 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Polly Pore said :
I don't see any problem with giveaway threads. They exist on Reddit and Twitter already. Limiting the forums further isn't really doing much to make them safer and will only drive more of the already shrinking user base further away.

Giveaway threads are and have already been against the rules on the RS subreddit, so it wouldn't be uniquely limiting that way, in comparison.

When I think of giveaway-only events, I think of those big follow trains that go through Varrock and the GE in the F2P trade worlds. And even then, those sorts of things often don't actually involve a giveaway in the end.

Something like "Join my FC and I'll give you clues, then the first person to find me gets 1M GP" includes a reward along with the event, but there's also some substance to it as opposed to simply being an advertisement for a might-or-might-not-be-legit handout. With something like the hide & seek example, there's still a chance that the event host won't follow through with any promised reward, but reward or no reward, I think the goal should be to encourage things that are actually events.
@RS_Erehk

20-May-2017 17:31:09

4A6F6B6B75

4A6F6B6B75

Posts: 35,046 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Iceberg said :
To be honest there have been very few, if any, incidents in the last couple of years that I'm aware of involving people not turning up to their own give-away events. They aren't posted particularly often either.

I agree with this. Of course there is a possibility that the host will not show up, but this is not a cool reason to ban such threads. If you don't trust them, then simply don't participate in the event? No reason to ruin the fun for others!

However, give-away threads that only direct people to some off-site could be banned in my opinion.

20-May-2017 19:53:34 - Last edited on 20-May-2017 19:53:55 by 4A6F6B6B75

Quick find code: 42-43-386-65912728 Back to Top