Forums

Account locked, 12+ yrs old!

Quick find code: 408-409-821-66276867

Sqwoushy

Sqwoushy

Posts: 4 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hi all,

Account username: Icey Jello

I recently relocated for work, and often travel to and from the country I created the account in. I believe this caused my account to be 'locked' for 'security purposes' as my login IP would have jumped countries and looked suspicious, which I understand.

I've now gone through 4 recovery attempts which have all been denied. The 'further information' requests have sort of changed each time, to which I have tried bolstering the information to see it be denied.

The Challenges:
Password: I'm pretty confident I am getting this right or almost correct, although I can't recall 100% what my first password would have been when I was 12 years old or so.

Email: The email is impossible to access, as it would have been a school/university email (which has been deactivated for many years).

Payment information: My mother wasn't too stoked to have her now adult son asking for banking history from 10+ years ago, despite this she attempted to find it, of course, banking history and email confirmations are very long gone.

Original address: Obviously I cannot log in from the original address, although I'm confident the details are accurate of where I first logged in.

Recovery questions: Pretty confident these are correct or very close to, but no avail.

I even got to the point of offering multiple government issued forms of ID to the support team, including those for my mum (as she would have been the first membership purchaser). This was ignored.

I reached out on Twitter, which offered little help. I've now been forced to send through a 'Privacy Data Request' in attempt to get ahold of the information required, but this can take up to 30+ days.

It's a shame that I have enough ID to gain access to my bank accounts, but not enough to unlock my RuneScape account!

Has anyone had success with Data Requests to gain the info required?
Has anyone had success using ID to unlock their account?

Thanks all, any help is appreciated

20-Mar-2023 01:19:55

Malua
May Member 2006

Malua

Posts: 43,113 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hi there
Sqwoushy

You need to recover from the country the account was created in. If you are in another country, wait until you return to the creation country.
If you are travelling with a RuneScape account you absolutely need to have a current email registered and a current Authenticator set up. This is because, if the account locks, you can unlock it quickly.

If the current registered email was deactivated years ago, it means you haven't had full management control of your account for years!
So, you do need to do a 'recovery' now - to set a new registered email, password and unlock the account.

Password: Do not submit your most recent password. If Jagex have locked the account, they will have removed the most recent password and it can no longer be used in account recovery. You will have to submit earlier passwords.

Payment History: You might not have any old transaction IDs but you will still know who paid, how they paid and the payers postcode and email . That is worth submitting.

Original address: locations only need to be town/country. If you created the account in USA, it needs to be town/state/country. If you can recover from that original town, that is very good proof.

Recovery Questions: These are not checked until the latter part of recovery. If you are getting a fast deny, they won't have been checked yet.

Government ID: Cannot be used. Because it isn't asked for at account creation, it isn't on your account record.

Privacy Data Request Information isn't very relevant to the recovery information. Jagex will supply your name and that old email address, both of which you already know. You might be able to glean the age of your account from the data.

You are right about changing countries. Back and forth between countries does look very suspicious and Jagex would lock an account for that reason.
Forum Community Helper -
Information about Moderators and Community Helpers

20-Mar-2023 06:54:32 - Last edited on 20-Mar-2023 06:55:32 by Malua

Sqwoushy

Sqwoushy

Thank you very much Malua!

While I'm still not 100% on the recovery going successful you've definitely provided more info than what I received when the request was denied.

Each request wasn't denied straight away, most taking 8-12 hours to be denied, so I guess some info is making it worth assessing!

I was hoping that if I had enough information to receive a Privacy Data Request linked to that account then I would definitely have enough info to recover the account. I'm sure my full name is linked to the account from day 1, plus my birthdate. I would think if I can show ID (passport) for instance, that has the same full name, DOB and similar address then surely that would be enough!

Another challenge is the info, while I believe I know things like my earliest password it could easily be any of 5 options from so long ago, but the info that can be provided is very limited in the submissions.

Thanks again.

20-Mar-2023 22:51:50

Malua
May Member 2006

Malua

Posts: 43,113 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
8-12 hours is a very encouraging sign! :)
It means you do have quite a bit of good information, you just need to work on it a bit and you will succeed.

At this point, work on the information you are putting into the "Other Comments" box.
Other Comments should be used to list:
* names of other accounts you own and play (so Jagex can crosscheck ownership links)
* address changes during the life of the account (as mentioned above after original address ). You could mention you travel between countries due to work.
* emails you have had linked to the account
* other payments you want to mention e.g. Bonds purchases
You don't get much space in Other Comments so use it wisely.

Take a note of the reasons you are being given for the deny and try to improve your next attempt based on those reasons.
Forum Community Helper -
Information about Moderators and Community Helpers

20-Mar-2023 23:07:46

Sqwoushy

Sqwoushy

Hi Malua,

I followed your tips and submitted another request, this time from the same address I played on the account over a year ago, as well as payment info from the very early days and it's most recent membership over a year ago. Despite this, denied. Interestingly it says 'password reset denied' although I'm 100% sure I am not submitting a password reset request.

I know for a fact the email I'm requesting be used for the account is already linked to the account through previous membership purchases. I am also confident that my personal info, including name would be linked to the account, so I am really struggling to understand why I cannot submit government issued ID to have my account returned to me.

I find it really weird that the email I'm requesting it be unlocked to has been attached to the account for a couple years through membership purchases, and that I'm not seeking a password reset because I know the password. Also I had access to it while travelling, yet did not drain it or commit any offences, very bad account scamming if you ask me!

All the information I've provided over the now 5 submissions is the most I can provide, if as the owner of the account for over 14 years I cannot recovery it, then I guess it's just lost?

Are you able to provide guidance on next steps that doesn't include 'keep trying the unlock request submission' because it's beyond me now.

Apologies if this sounds like I'm not grateful for your help, because I am, as you've been the only one to provide more info than "you need your earliest password" and "all dates you've moved and where to" over the last 14+ years! But definitely filled with confusion and anger at this stage. Seems pretty crazy, I'd love to ask all members of support at Jagex if they can recall all these details.

Thanks in advance!

21-Mar-2023 10:42:09

Asahel Frost
Dec Member 2007

Asahel Frost

Posts: 16,541 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Sqwoushy said :
Despite this, denied. Interestingly it says 'password reset denied' although I'm 100% sure I am not submitting a password reset request.

Hi Sqwoushy.

The password reset process is used for all forms of account recovery.

If the recovery request is successful, you will emailed a link to reset the password, and when you do, the registered email will be changed to the contact email you used for the recovery process.

If the reply to your most recent recovery request did not arrive immediately, then the jmod who reviewed your form will have put feedback in the reply saying what information needs to be improved, so be sure to read that (the 'More info' button in the email reply).
Glad to be of service :) (Powered by GPP™ - Share and Enjoy!)
Official Community Helper
( Info )
Discord: Asahel Frost
FC: SilverScaper

21-Mar-2023 11:23:39

Sqwoushy

Sqwoushy

Asahel Frost said :
Sqwoushy said :
Despite this, denied. Interestingly it says 'password reset denied' although I'm 100% sure I am not submitting a password reset request.

Hi Sqwoushy.

The password reset process is used for all forms of account recovery.

If the recovery request is successful, you will emailed a link to reset the password, and when you do, the registered email will be changed to the contact email you used for the recovery process.

If the reply to your most recent recovery request did not arrive immediately, then the jmod who reviewed your form will have put feedback in the reply saying what information needs to be improved, so be sure to read that (the 'More info' button in the email reply).

Thanks Frost,

The 'feedback' seems to be quite vague and cover off essentially all of the areas. Focusing on passwords and early account info. I'm just struggling to understand how I'm meant to recall creation date from over 14 years ago, all the locations moved to throughout school, university, travel, and my career.

Over the 5 attempts I've provided everything I can think of. The fields are also incredibly limiting, how is it possible to condense 14+ years of account and personal info into 3 password fields, 12 or so single response text fields and 120 word text box?

Are there really no options left?

21-Mar-2023 14:00:05

Asahel Frost
Dec Member 2007

Asahel Frost

Posts: 16,541 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
You don't need to provide the entire history of the account, just enough details to show that you created the account originally, so the older the information the better.

Put your best guess for the creation date. Think back to any special events you remember doing, and check the dates for those in the Wiki. That might help you narrow it down a bit.

Family members might be able to help with the ISP you used to create the account.

If you moved house while playing Runescape, list the towns, countries/states, and move dates.

If you have alts, list the display names.

There's more advice on filing in the form here:
Account recovery denied
Glad to be of service :) (Powered by GPP™ - Share and Enjoy!)
Official Community Helper
( Info )
Discord: Asahel Frost
FC: SilverScaper

21-Mar-2023 15:05:01

Quick find code: 408-409-821-66276867 Back to Top