Forums

Authenticator

Quick find code: 408-409-532-66284350

Tidus 319
May Member 2022

Tidus 319

Posts: 1,545 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
My wife has a runescape account but literally couldn't tell you the last time she played the game.

I was just playing and it popped up that she had logged out. She's not playing on there so she's tried to log in but there is an authenticator linked to the account but she doesn't recall whether or not she added this and if she did wouldn't know how to access it again as she doesn't have an authenticator app on her phone.

Could somebody have hacked the account and added an authenticator without needing to confirm via email or anything?

Thanks
Tidus 319.

29-Jul-2023 13:10:05

Tidus 319
May Member 2022

Tidus 319

Removed the authenticator through email, re-activated authenticator on current phone and changed the password.

When she's signed in it hasn't been signed in for ages so not sure why it said that the account had logged out in my private chat and not sure why it has a membership until the 8th of August?
Tidus 319.

29-Jul-2023 13:34:03

Tidus 319
May Member 2022

Tidus 319

Further crazy update...

Turns out it was old school runescape and whoever it is that hacked the account has just been playing on it.. they haven't taken anything but levelled it up quite a bit.

Im so confused...
Tidus 319.

29-Jul-2023 13:46:27

Mini JIT
Oct Member 2014

Mini JIT

Posts: 2,211 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Your wife is a secret OSRS player and did not want you to know so claimed she was hacked when you found out :)

Remember all the times she said she was going out with friends or to visit family? She lied and was really hiding in the attic playing the game.

29-Jul-2023 16:08:46

Tren
May
fmod Member

Tren

Forum Moderator Posts: 92,683 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
This thread has been moved to the Community Led Account Help Forum for best results.

The following resources should help with ensuring that both her computer and account are secure. Pay particular attention to the sections on 'Linked Accounts', as those are one of the most common ways hijackers get around needing access to your authenticator:
Security tips
Recovering from Hijack [Info]
~Tren

Forum issues? ---> See Forum Help
Account issues? ---> See Account Help

29-Jul-2023 16:13:55 - Last edited on 29-Jul-2023 16:15:47 by Tren

Tidus 319
May Member 2022

Tidus 319

Original message details are unavailable.
Your wife is a secret OSRS player and did not want you to know so claimed she was hacked when you found out :)

Remember all the times she said she was going out with friends or to visit family? She lied and was really hiding in the attic playing the game.

This is the only explanation because why else would someone hack an account just to improve it?! Haha!
Tidus 319.

29-Jul-2023 18:06:22

Malua
May Member 2006

Malua

Posts: 43,113 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
If a hijacker has been playing the account, you need to make absolutely sure they can't return.
They have membership on the account so they expect to be able to use it!

It sounds like the password was compromised.
Why do I think that?
Your wife tried to log in and was stopped by Authenticator, not by a different password.

I suspect she is using the same password on other web logins.
She needs to go through all her web logins and set different passwords and not use that old password ever again.
She should check her email address on the https://haveibeenpwned.com/ website.

The hijacker might try to cause some havoc when they can't get back in to the account.
If your wife finds the account has been frozen due to a debt, she will be able to get it sorted through messaging Billing Support.
Forum Community Helper -
Information about Moderators and Community Helpers

29-Jul-2023 23:37:32

Tidus 319
May Member 2022

Tidus 319

She’s changed the account to a Jagex account on a different email address and password and also changed actual email address password even through it was different to the RuneScape password.

Not sure what else she can do to secure it from there?

I’ll tell her to check that website too.

Thanks.
Tidus 319.

30-Jul-2023 13:48:00

Quick find code: 408-409-532-66284350 Back to Top