Forums

Please have patience....

Quick find code: 408-409-473-66282719

jodie
May Member 2018

jodie

Posts: 2,634 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Still trying to understand how to get authenticator set up on Jagex Account. At present I have my main account & 4 alternate characters (these alternates being f2p) connected to this one Jagex Account. What I understand is the following; so please correct where I'm wrong.

First of all these 5 characters are now jointly connected to the same login & password; and should I remove one of these characters, I've completely lost it forever as it cannot be put back & I no longer have a way of getting it into game. Correct?

Now the authenticator: (My situation is a non-functional cell phone that can connect to the internet via wifi, already has a google play store, the google authenticator and the QR Scanner downloaded onto it.)

Now the Setup: (I can only set it up on a "member" account/character. Correct?)
Go to Jagex website & login > account settings > a link to get authenticator codes. A popup screen shows up with large square on it called QR code. [Get phone & "open" authenticator on phone, center box & phone automatically generates a 6-digit code have to catch fast as it keeps changing.] Now type in this 6-digit code on the RS site.

After the 6-digit code is entered you get a popup screen on computer that has ten 8-digit codes on it. Right this down or copy it somewhere.
The next time you login to either the game or RS site you will need one of those codes. At such time you get the message you have used one of the codes. After using all 10 codes you will need to return to your account settings on RS and request 10 more codes. (This means using the phone again to scan the QR code..big white box..getting the 6-digit code that you type into computer screen to get 10 more authenticator codes.)

All above correct?

Please accept my apology for being so dense. I am so totally visually connected to my world and words have always been hard for me to put into picture form so I can understand what is said. I am thankful for any help given in here.
I am what I am! Acknowledging this is the beginning; and my growth is yet to end!
II Cor. 5:7 "We walk by faith! Not by sight!"

28-Jun-2023 14:51:49

Mrs Ana

Mrs Ana

Posts: 9,010 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hey, jodie.
Original message details are unavailable.
First of all these 5 characters are now jointly connected to the same login & password; and should I remove one of these characters, I've completely lost it forever as it cannot be put back & I no longer have a way of getting it into game. Correct?
It isn't possible to remove a character off of a Jagex account once it has been added. The process is currently irreversible. There has been rumours that, maybe, just maybe, they will add a feature in the future that may or may not allow you to "archive" characters that you no longer wish to utilize.
===
After the 6-digit code is entered you get a popup screen on computer that has ten 8-digit codes on it. Right this down or copy it somewhere.
\tThe next time you login to either the game or RS site you will need one of those codes. At such time you get the message you have used one of the codes. After using all 10 codes you will need to return to your account settings on RS and request 10 more codes. (This means using the phone again to scan the QR code..big white box..getting the 6-digit code that you type into computer screen to get 10 more authenticator codes.)
No, that is not correct. Those are backup codes -- See:
https://help.jagex.com/hc/en-gb/articles/5410794084497-Backup-codes
-- that Jagex provides you with when setting up two-step authentication via an authenticator app on your Jagex account. These are to be used when and if you lose access to the authenticator app that you just added to your Jagex account. Once you set up two-step authentication via an authenticator app, you ought to use the 6-digit code that is generated on that specific authenticator app to log in to your account whenever prompted.

This Support page is very useful too:

https://help.jagex.com/hc/en-gb/categories/4403516390801-Jagex-Accounts

28-Jun-2023 15:12:24

Mrs Ana

Mrs Ana

Please note that these backup codes are to be stored safely somewhere to be used when necessary. If you lose access to the authenticator on your Jagex account and don't have the available backup codes, Jagex will not and cannot help you at all with that specific process. You'll be required to create a new account . That's why it's paramount that you save those 10 backup codes that are provided on that screen.

I tried to do the process to show you.

First, I enter my email address and password. Then, I am presented with the screen below:

I clicked on "Use your authenticator app". Once that's done, it's asking for the 6-digit code. I went to my authenticator app to get the code and then entered the code above. It will now ask you to choose your character. I chose my character. The backup codes part is mainly there if you don't have access to the authenticator app -- for whatever reason(s) -- but can be used at any given time if you so choose to as well.

On your Jagex Account Management section, you are presented with the image below:

You can also enable getting codes via email if you so desire. You'll have the option to select that method when you are trying to log in. Furthermore, you are also able to replace your backup codes if you have ever used at least one before and would like to get new ones, just in case.

28-Jun-2023 15:24:29 - Last edited on 28-Jun-2023 15:27:29 by Mrs Ana

jodie
May Member 2018

jodie

Mrs Ana thank you for responding so quickly. Your information is very clear & I appreciate the extra steps you took in putting up images as that helps me so very much.

Only personal experience I've had with setting up authenticator is watching son set up his on his personal computer using his "non-functioning" cell phone which I spoke of above. After it was all done & he attempted to get into the game he was prompted to put in a code he said was one of the 10...not the 6-digit one. Did not see the screen he was using at the time so might have had the option of using one of his "backup codes" and chose that instead of the 6-digit of auth app. When he returns I'll talk with him about this. Also I want to see what options are now available on his "account management" to see if they are like the ones you showed me here, i.e.

security codes via auth app "enabled"
security codes via email ...option to "enable"
backup codes ... option to "replace"

I'm wondering if "enabling" the security codes via email would cause problems. With both the email option and the auth app option, seems it might be confusing. I did notice you did not have both of yours enabled. Why did you choose not to do so?

On your screen shot I also see at the bottom about managing "characters" (subscriptions, messages and other settings). I understand these characters cannot be taken off the account and, apparently, their passwords cannot be changed; so am wondering what this part is about and whether or not it is even helpful to those characters.

P.S. I did speak with my son & he stated he "did" use the "backup" instead of the "auth app" 6-digit when loging in; & the image you put of your "account management" is exactly what he now sees. :) )

Only possible problem I'm seeing now is in getting that initial 6-digit auth app code again to login with; isn't it located on the phone? So each login requires the use of phone again?
I am what I am! Acknowledging this is the beginning; and my growth is yet to end!

28-Jun-2023 21:38:24

jodie
May Member 2018

jodie

sorry duplicate

28-Jun-2023 21:39:39 - Last edited on 28-Jun-2023 21:40:36 by jodie

Mrs Ana

Mrs Ana

After it was all done & he attempted to get into the game he was prompted to put in a code he said was one of the 10...not the 6-digit one. Did not see the screen he was using at the time so might have had the option of using one of his "backup codes" and chose that instead of the 6-digit of auth app.
Most likely this is the case. I don't believe you'd be asked to enter a 10-digit backup code unless you specifically choose that from the available options. As far as I am aware, the authenticator app codes have always been 6-digits.
===
I'm wondering if "enabling" the security codes via email would cause problems. With both the email option and the auth app option, seems it might be confusing. I did notice you did not have both of yours enabled. Why did you choose not to do so?
No, it wouldn't cause a problem. On the contrary, now you'd have three options to get the code: the authenticator app; via email; and backup codes if the first two fail. I didn't have it enabled, but I went ahead to activate it just to show you.

Now, prior to enabling the code via email, you are warned to ensure that your email account is secure. This is to avoid having a hijacker have access to these login codes. If they have access to your email account and you have this option enabled, they'd be able to get the codes from there, if they also have the password, of course:

Since I have all three enabled, this is what I see under my Account Management at the moment:

28-Jun-2023 21:59:49

Mrs Ana

Mrs Ana

On your screen shot I also see at the bottom about managing "characters" (subscriptions, messages and other settings). I understand these characters cannot be taken off the account and, apparently, their passwords cannot be changed; so am wondering what this part is about and whether or not it is even helpful to those characters.
Once you click on this part, you are taken to another screen, which is shown below (I have removed the part where it reflects the number of characters that I have for privacy reasons):

You will then see a button that says "Manage" next to each individual character listed. If you click on it, it will take you back to previous account settings, which is shown below:

This is the former place where you'd go for anything related to your account. You can still access it, obviously, but for anything personal/security settings, those are now managed by your Jagex Account.

===
P.S. I did speak with my son & he stated he "did" use the "backup" instead of the "auth app" 6-digit when loging in; & the image you put of your "account management" is exactly what he now sees. :) )
I'm glad that this was cleared :) .
===
Only possible problem I'm seeing now is in getting that initial 6-digit auth app code again to login with; isn't it located on the phone? So each login requires the use of phone again?
From what I see, if I try to log into my Account Management settings through the website, I am asked to enter the code every single time; however, if I log into the game through the Jagex Launcher, the code isn't required and you are able to login directly all the time, unless something changes, i.e., you change a setting on your account, etc.

28-Jun-2023 21:59:54 - Last edited on 28-Jun-2023 22:02:38 by Mrs Ana

jodie
May Member 2018

jodie

Ok so if I understand you correctly, I can continue to log into game via Jagex Launcher without having to have access to my son's cell phone with the authenticator app on it. Correct?

However, when I want to post on these forums a code is required. And this code can be one of 3 options (authen app 6-digit...requiring phone to get, email, one of the 10 backups)? Correct?

If correct on all of this I am starting to think the way Jagex is handling our accounts is quite safe. (In times past changing my email and/or password periodically was a must for security; now however, it is not necessary???)

28-Jun-2023 23:52:58

Mrs Ana

Mrs Ana

Hey again, jodie!
Ok so if I understand you correctly, I can continue to log into game via Jagex Launcher without having to have access to my son's cell phone with the authenticator app on it. Correct?
The Jagex Launcher allows you to login directly to the game without having to enter the email and/or password. If you make a change to your account settings (like I did when I was showing you the email code above), it will give you an error and prompt you to login again since something on your account was updated/changed. This is awesome for security purposes.
===
However, when I want to post on these forums a code is required. And this code can be one of 3 options (authen app 6-digit...requiring phone to get, email, one of the 10 backups)? Correct?
That's correct. I'd leave the backup codes for emergency reasons, even though you are able to generate new ones on your Account Management section.

If you don't want to go through this process, do what I do: I log in through the Jagex Launcher and I click on my Message Centre through RuneScape. I then navigate to the main page and then the Forums. It doesn't require me to log in again; I don't have to enter my email and password ;) .
===
If correct on all of this I am starting to think the way Jagex is handling our accounts is quite safe. (In times past changing my email and/or password periodically was a must for security; now however, it is not necessary???)
To be honest, it's always recommended to update your password from time to time. This applies to any account really. I do change my passwords periodically just because :) .

30-Jun-2023 19:42:44

jodie
May Member 2018

jodie

Thank you so much for hanging in with me. I just now entered these forums the way you do, i.e. via inside game > messages > back to account > full website > forum. No login was necessary.

01-Jul-2023 10:26:47 - Last edited on 01-Jul-2023 10:30:00 by jodie

Quick find code: 408-409-473-66282719 Back to Top