Forums

Main Account Unaccessable

Quick find code: 408-409-404-66292739

Coop N Frank
Oct Member 2023

Coop N Frank

Posts: 4 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hello,

For the past year I've been focusing on using a Group Ironman account as I'm getting older and is a fun way of playing Runescape with a challenge with some friends. While logging in this evening I've noticed on my Friends List that my main account was logged in at the same time. My main account dates back to 2013 when Oldschool Runescape started, before that it was in the RS3 days and doesn't need an email to log in!

My main account was around 2190 Total. Always aimed to finish but then never been a fan of playing an alt and a main account at the same time. I'm confused to how I've never had an email from Jagex to detail an email change of correspondence and how I have set up a Multi-Factor Authentification on my phone which is still active with the Username and it's now completely unaccessible and has had an Account takeover. Not only this but it's now being accessed and there was a bank pin on this also?

Miraculously, from looking at the Highscores, the kill count on a boss is in the several thousands and clearly is being botted to farm. I'm conscious I've probably lost everything on the account and even the Account itself. I've contacted Jagex and attempted an Account Recovery but I'm answering questions from years ago and then only allowed to give 100 characters to try and explain myself.

My question is how can this happen through activating all security checks including MFA. But also how does it not get flagged up for suspicious activity hitting the top 50 in a kill count for a boss.

Apologies in Advance if this is in the wrong place - I'm trying to give more information to try and resolve the matter as I'm only allowed 100 characters and querying why these security measures simply do not work.

06-Jan-2024 18:17:01 - Last edited on 06-Jan-2024 19:41:36 by Coop N Frank

Malua
May Member 2006

Malua

Posts: 43,113 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hi there
Coop N Frank

When you say the account is completely inaccessible, what is blocking you?
Is your password wrong?
Is your password correct but you are getting stopped at Authenticator?
Are you being told the login is wrong?

All of these possibilities indicate a different issue:
If your password is wrong but you still can access the registered email try doing a password reset with access to the registered email
If your password is wrong but you have lost access to the registered email, do a recovery on the account (same support page as the one linked above but use the 'Legacy account recovery' instructions.

If your password is correct but you are getting stopped at Authenticator, it depends whether you still have access to the registered email or not.
If you still have access, just do a disable on Authenticator.
If you no longer have access to the registered email, you would need to do a recovery on the account to get Auth disabled and reset.

If you are being told the login is wrong, your hijacker may have upgraded the account into a Jagex Account (to block your access).
In this case, follow the instructions on the Unable to submit an account recovery support page.

When you recover access to the account you MUST check this:
Go into account management and look in the 'Linked Accounts' tab.
Unlink any accounts you see linked (including your own). Click on 'Manage Steam' to check for a linked Steam account.

If you feel you need some more advice or I haven't covered the possibilities sufficiently and there is still a problem, post back.
Forum Community Helper -
Information about Moderators and Community Helpers

07-Jan-2024 01:09:58

Coop N Frank
Oct Member 2023

Coop N Frank

Hello Malua,

Thank you for getting back to me.

The account is still currently logged in and being used I'm assuming to farm a boss as it's over 8000 Kill Count.

My registered email which was originally used before appears to now have been changed - I was not given any indication or any correspondence to detail that the primary email had been changed.

The password has of course been changed so I'm not able to access that - I'm unable to reset the password as mentioned before the primary email has been changed.

I've submitted an Account Recovery twice in the past few days and I'm still yet to receive a response of some kind and I'm still seeing the account online. As I said before I was only given 100 characters to try and clarify the situation which I don't think is enough to try and explain the situation and to prove the real identity of the account.

07-Jan-2024 10:00:57

Malua
May Member 2006

Malua

There is one thing for certain.
Your hijacker has access to your email. O_o

You need to secure your email right away.
Start by changing its password.
Did you have a 2-step verification set up on your email?
If not, you need to set one up.

Also, check in your email settings as I suspect the hijacker has tweaked the settings to make sure you don't receive any emails from Jagex.
A recovery is replied to within 24 hours - always!
If you have not received any replies it means the hijacker has made some changes in your email settings.

If the hijacker has access to your email, it is simple for them to delete the password reset/password change/email change confirmation emails.

If the hijacker changed the registered email, they would be getting notifications that you are trying to recover the account.

Secure your email and try account recovery again.
If you still don't get a reply, submit a different email to be the new registered email.

The really important information is the information asked for in the boxes on the form.
The 100 character free text box is less important.
Forum Community Helper -

07-Jan-2024 10:36:49

Coop N Frank
Oct Member 2023

Coop N Frank

Hello Malua,

Thank you for all of your help - I quickly acted upon your advice and noticed that this was indeed the case. The rules have been changed and my email is back to being secure. Any correspondence from Jagex was being redirected and moved and I managed to gain access to my main account on Sunday night.

Unfortunately late last night I noticed that the main was back online last night while on my Ironman and upon looking at the highscores noticed again it was being used to farm one of the DT2 Bosses. It's now ranked 40th in the world on it within a month.

I'm now under the illusion that the recovery questions have been changed and now I think some other information has also been changed to which I simply can't gain access. I've done several Account Recovery's and I'm being rejected every time on it and it's becoming increasingly frustrating. I've also launched a response from Jagex and yet to receive either.

This is becoming an increasingly frustrating situation and I'm losing all hope in retaining an account which is over 15 years old. On Sunday I was quite frustrated that the whole account had been cleaned of 500m which took a very long time to get from doing main things such as farming slayer etc. But now I can't even get access to the account and isn't making me want to play at all due to just seeing my main account online and being used for botting.

Is there any eligibility to speak directly to a Jagex support team to completely remove the hacker on the account and reset every single bit of account information including recovery questions? My concern is that my account is inevitably going to get banned as it's accumulated over 9k Kill count on a boss in less then a month and is top 40 on Highscores for the boss. If there's anyway of resetting this, removing Kill count and putting the account rolled back to a year ago, that'd be even better, but we have to be realistic I suppose lol.

09-Jan-2024 08:50:47

Malua
May Member 2006

Malua

Did you follow this instruction from my first reply?
Original message details are unavailable.
When you recover access to the account you MUST check this:
Go into account management and look in the 'Linked Accounts' tab.
Unlink any accounts you see linked (including your own). Click on 'Manage Steam' to check for a linked Steam account.
Either your hijacker has either set up a linked account giving them backdoor entry or else they have malware installed on your computer. :(
The most likely explanation is a linked account.

Recovery questions cannot be changed. And, it is extremely unlikely the hijacker regained access through the recovery system.
If they have a linked account, they can get straight in without your new password.

Did YOU need to recover your account or did you just use your email to do a password reset?
Are you only unable to log in because it is already logged in?
Or, has the password been changed? <- if this has happened, the hijacker still has access to your email.

If you still have access to the registered email, do another password reset then, the minute you have control again, upgrade your account into a Jagex Account.
Upgrading it into a Jagex Account will reset the login to a brand new one (set by you).
Sorry, you will lose the old username login but you need to take strong steps to secure your precious account.
Instructions: Upgrade your RuneScape character to Jagex account

If the password has been changed by the hijacker, you need to do a thorough scan of your computer for malware.
Forum Community Helper -

09-Jan-2024 10:48:06

Quick find code: 408-409-404-66292739 Back to Top