Forums

LOGGING OUT

Quick find code: 408-409-324-66282930

Yanarht
Jul Member 2012

Yanarht

Posts: 278 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
When I sign off of the game the new Jagex load screen pops up. If I click on my name in the upper right-hand corner I am given the option to log out. When I click on that a new screen pops up that asks me if I am sure I want to log out.

My question is, if I choose not to fully log out does that add a layer of protection against account hijackers? In other words, if I stay logged in, is it more difficult for someone to hijack my account? And if I do actually log out does that make it easier for hijackers to have their way with my account?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

01-Jul-2023 21:55:56

YtHaar-Mej
Dec Member 2005

YtHaar-Mej

Posts: 25,052 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The launcher is designed to remember your login token and stay logged in so you can easily load a game and get playing. we're really not supposed to log out every time from it.

Using the new OAuth2 protocols and such, the account is safer against hijackers, which is how they allow you to stay signed in on it...just need to be sure your computer and login credentials and authentication points are secured to be ultimately safe. Even better if one has migrated to a Jagex Account for the extra security benefits.

And if at any point you feel something might be off, you can load your account settings page and hit the kill all sessions button and it'll render all launcher and mobile logins useless and require a re-sign in. Or if needed, change the password or even login email.
Can I turn in a paper without citing all sources?
"No."[1]
1. William Shakespeare, Hamlet , Act III, Scene 1, line 96.

01-Jul-2023 22:06:09 - Last edited on 01-Jul-2023 22:07:06 by YtHaar-Mej

Wassep
Jul Member 2022

Wassep

Posts: 411 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Original message details are unavailable.
When I sign off of the game the new Jagex load screen pops up. If I click on my name in the upper right-hand corner I am given the option to log out. When I click on that a new screen pops up that asks me if I am sure I want to log out.

My question is, if I choose not to fully log out does that add a layer of protection against account hijackers? In other words, if I stay logged in, is it more difficult for someone to hijack my account? And if I do actually log out does that make it easier for hijackers to have their way with my account?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Before Jagex Accounts, being in the lobby would prevent others from being able to log in since you have an active session, however nowadays you can do as Mej said, so there really isn't a need to, or rather, there's not a huge gain in security with doing that.
Here to help <3
Still confused?Heres some great resources:
Runescape Support | Game Suggestions

02-Jul-2023 02:28:42

Yanarht
Jul Member 2012

Yanarht

Posts: 278 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Just to reassure myself, it sounds like it is best, and the new launcher is designed for me, not to fully log out every time.

Am I understanding this correctly? I really just want to be as safe as I can. I am coming off a devastating hijack (5B+). If I stay logged in using my authenticator app, nobody else should be able to log into my account using the email code or authenticator, is that right?

Just looking for some experienced and knowledgeable advice on the subject,

I appreciate it.

02-Jul-2023 03:14:13

Quick find code: 408-409-324-66282930 Back to Top