Forums

Protect Your Account - CSM23

Quick find code: 380-381-894-66289359

Lewis Shoot
Oct Member 2005

Lewis Shoot

Posts: 3,825 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Myself and a few friends all are uncertain about updating to jagex accounts because it changes username based log ins to email, which are more cumbersome to write and not drilled into our muscle memory quite the same.

I think updating the stronghold of security and providing additional bank space is a reasonable approach, however the warnings in the bank screen are overly obtrusive and additional random events that reward players just for updating are over the top.

I understand not many people have updated and you want to incentivise that, but this doesn't sit well with me. It would be better if you addressed players concerns, like the aforementioned username log ins, before trying to overload the game with unnecessary incentives.

Personally I would love to update for the additional security when I know the jagex account suits my needs.
RIP Forums :(
Finally we have signatures in the surprise forum update. I'm Lewis, I play Old School & I've been playing since 2005.

27-Oct-2023 16:47:25

Disloyal
Nov Member 2018

Disloyal

Posts: 113 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Original message details are unavailable.
I absolutely will not be getting a Jagex account. Period.

As a 15+ going 20-year veteran player of a game that taught me so much, neither will I.

There is nothing wrong with a RuneScape username and password.

Why is there a sudden and blatantly desperate attempt to fix what is not broken?

Because Jagex's shareholders have to bring in their agenda into our psyche.

What's not to love about micro-transactions, Solomon's Store, the Hero Pass, a Grand Exchange tax, the removal of the Duel Arena, the rewriting of the game's medieval history with gender dialogue updates, the introduction of annual LGBT+ pride events, and fear-mongering about cyber security in the lead up to the great reset?

Wouldn't we all just love for western civilization to collapse on itself already, so we can remain slaves to our screens, buy up all the centralized, programmable digital currencies we could ever dream of, and suffer a premeditated false flag blackout resulting in yet another global crisis and the implementation of a digital identity required to access the Internet so we can play a video game character.

Civil disobedience was never needed more than it was during COVID-19.

And it is never needed more than now, to resist the Jagex Launcher.

Let these people control your every move in life, and see what happens.

Resist tyranny at the cost of anything but life and liberty, no matter its form.

06-Jan-2024 05:42:48

Applejuiceaj
Nov
fmod Member

Applejuiceaj

Forum Moderator Posts: 45,000 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I absolutely will not be getting a Jagex account. Period.

As a 15+ going 20-year veteran player of a game that taught me so much, neither will I.

There is nothing wrong with a RuneScape username and password.

Why is there a sudden and blatantly desperate attempt to fix what is not broken?

Because it is broken. Jagex said that themselves when they announced Jagex Accounts - Account security is a major concern for players and a core focus for us. The current system has reached the end of the road as our security solution . The new Jagex Account system will let us provide you with increased security, stability, and sustainability using modern, industry-standard technology.

Some of the flaws include, but are not limited to:

- No support for more complex passwords - given this hadn't been changed sooner, it is safe to assume there is some kind of technical limitation as to why they couldn't (which in itself shows the system as is had flaws).

- Manual recovery is a thing - people have gamed that system over the years to get into accounts that aren't theirs, and that isn't a good thing.

- 2 Factor Auth can be bypassed if a hijacker gets access to the email address registered to the account. They can recover the account through the email, and then receive an email to disable the RuneScape Authenticator. That's a huge security loophole.

RuneScape accounts are a 20 year old system created at a time when online accounts weren't too common and that's had its fair share of band aid fixes over the years. Jagex Accounts are the future, a clean slate for Jagex's account systems that patch the numerous issues that could never be fixed with the old system and brings in industry standard technology upgrades.

While appreciated that it is a large change, its a necessary change. There's more to everything here than just a username and password.

07-Jan-2024 05:23:38

Jared
Jul Member 2021

Jared

Posts: 4,998 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Myself and a few friends all are uncertain about updating to jagex accounts because it changes username based log ins to email, which are more cumbersome to write and not drilled into our muscle memory quite the same.

They've already addressed this concern, and in and of itself this isn't a valid reason to avoid switching to a Jagex account. With a Jagex account you don't have to type in your password every time you login. You just hit Play and you're good to go. Since Mobile already works this way, you won't have to enter your login information very often no matter where you play.

Indisputably and verifiably the ONLY valid reason to avoid the switch is if you EXCLUSIVELY play on Linux. The Jagex Launcher has zero Linux support still.

08-Jan-2024 17:27:47

Quick find code: 380-381-894-66289359 Back to Top