Forums

Christmas 2020

Quick find code: 380-381-681-66192694

Gronstalker
Mar Member 2020

Gronstalker

Posts: 323 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Just wanted to say that I really liked the Christmas event! I've been waiting forever for a Christmassy themed POH - and now it's here. Nobody seems to be talking about the POH reward and only the Goblin boulder so I was pleasantly surprised when I completed the event, my new POH with it's little seasonal touches are very much getting me in the spirit of Christmas as much as my house irl :-)

21-Dec-2020 22:17:53 - Last edited on 21-Dec-2020 22:22:56 by Gronstalker

Papa Loydd
Dec Member 2023

Papa Loydd

Posts: 2 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The christmas event was simply wondeful and fun !

The new interfaces is much more friendly user. Good update i love it.

seriously good job ! merry christmas to everyone and be safe.
Papa Loydd
Proud Player Of Runescape

21-Dec-2020 22:58:57 - Last edited on 21-Dec-2020 23:00:49 by Papa Loydd

Draco Burnz
Dec Member 2011

Draco Burnz

Posts: 79,296 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Leta said :
Really looking forward to the Christmas event.

But only certain players able to test out Soul Wars? That's disappointing. I'd have thought an open beta would work just as well while not leaving anyone out?

Agreed.

Proves that even in osrs, they can add MTX as long as they disguise it as something else.
Draco Burnz
Anime Fanatic
Defender of the logical

27-Dec-2020 07:54:28

xThargor

xThargor

Posts: 57 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
So I have frequently been playing Soul Wars back in RS2, acquiring all three types of Hybrid armour at the time and now got the opportunity of playing the semi-closed Beta in osrs. Here is what I think about it:

Anti-Botting and Lvl cap

You actually did a really good job on that, especially the improved activity bar. It is no longer possible to just afk-burry bones to stay in game, however, taking in graveyards & the obelisk should have a higher impact on the bar. I got kicked out multiple times after taking back empty graveyards (without fighting opponents). The combat- and total lvl entry restriction is indeed necessary.

Lobby & Joining

While I don’t know if you are going to implement the current lobby system, I’m having a hard time getting my head around it:

Having everything instanced and therefore multiple games with as few people as possible seems like a bit of an overkill to me. If multiple players get inactive and kicked, one team will be at a permanent disadvantage because of it having less teammates. Players – in the beta – are leaving the game to re-join another one. They literally get rewarded for skipping a losing game. Those teammates cannot be replaced because, you know, the people who would very much like to fill the gap are already in another instance. If the opposing Team has a massive Cb advantage, there is little to nothing you can do about it. At least the possibility of having stronger players joining after the game has started would make a huge difference.

Imo you worry too much about it being a balanced minigame. This one drives on it being a little chaotic and having oversized Teams you can join after. Again, I personally really do not like the idea of it running multiple games simultaneously without any chance of turning the tables once a team is formed.
Soul Wars prototype for OldschoolRunescape
4+3 year Veteran

29-Dec-2020 00:15:52 - Last edited on 29-Dec-2020 00:51:26 by xThargor

xThargor

xThargor

Playtime

I really wouldn’t mind spending 20 Minutes per game, like it was back in the old days. If someone doesn’t have those extra 5 Minutes, just pick a faster Minigame. We truly have those out there.

Items

I do enjoy having items right inside the spawn area. The concept of free super combat potions and having extra run energy with every heal is great. However, using bandages feels way too slow to cancel out multiple players attacking you. I understand having a colour code on the equipment tables, so opposing players won’t camp them. Being able to only carry one barricade at a time plus the inability to place them directly on the avatar entrance feels unnecessary and prevents thinking of tactics. The activity bar will strike you if wasting too much time with barricades anyways.

Rewards

The reward system cannot be tested right now, however, the sheer difference in getting a mere 10% more or less isn’t really that much of a motivation to contribute. To be clear, the great gap between winning and loosing was a driving factor to push both Teams to new hights. You want to feel like actually winning something when doing great and to be happy about it. If there is so little difference in being victorious or getting stomped, why even bother?

Again, I do understand you want to keep it as balanced as possible, but I don’t think it’s optimal yet.
4+3 year Veteran

29-Dec-2020 00:17:06 - Last edited on 29-Dec-2020 00:54:14 by xThargor

xThargor

xThargor

While I do understand the reasoning behind setting a “avatar strength” lvl instead of a slayer requirement on a test world - where everyone has 99 Slayer anyways – I wouldn’t recommend it for the real game. You want to have people who barely scratch the minimum requirements to be ably to experience the whole minigame and that’s fair. But it’s kind of missing out on the motivation to get better and reach higher, especially in grinding slayer. Back in the day people with a high slayer lvl were essential to winning the game and you would have to build a strategy around that.

Now, it feels like being way to simple. The monsters don’t have a slayer requirement, you get an increased amount of fragment drops per kill and are even able to offer them when the obelisk is not in your teams’ possession.
On top of that, the Avatar feels like paper. His damage can simply be cancelled out with protection prayers and with not even loosing half of his ‘avatar strength’ he can be soloed in no-time. Having it reduced to zero, the almighty 525 monster is like a goblin in lumbridge.

Player mentality

Soul wars should be split from the utterly toxic player base from Lms. To avoid it being basically the same minigame, restricting the amount of additional weapons / armour in the inventory or allowing just one combat-style per player could be helpful.
Causal players are avoiding the current beta partially because of players being vulgar and unnecessarily fast at gear switching. That’s simply not the right minigame for that, it should be all about teamplay.

Other

- Really enjoy having multiple entries on the graveyards
- I’m missing the animation when offering fragments to the obelisk
4+3 year Veteran

29-Dec-2020 00:18:37 - Last edited on 29-Dec-2020 00:23:21 by xThargor

xThargor

xThargor

I do understand the reasoning behind some of the changes and I really am thankful for getting it back, but some parts of it need to be reconsidered. Until November 2012 it has been doing just fine as it was, so many of us simply wanted it back without having that many modifications coming with it.

We were told, there would’t be a migration of it for many years and fought for it anyways until it got polled. Changing it up too much will risk it to be dead contend, because the expectations were set on a memory of the old minigame.

** There you have it, this is my Personal opinion, I REALLY just want to contribute making it the best it can be – aaand thanks for reading this far, you really got stamina ^_^ **
4+3 year Veteran

29-Dec-2020 00:20:17

Quick find code: 380-381-681-66192694 Back to Top