Forums

Jagex face legal challenges?

Quick find code: 366-367-342-66273797

ELITE STACK
Mar Member 2014

ELITE STACK

Posts: 8,082 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
According to a newspost it was reported that the rainbow title scroll and rainbow glasses would be on treasure hunter however it is not in probabilities. This is misleading to players who bought keys to get those items as they are spending keys to get items they were told that would be on th. Can players who happen to see this sue Jagex? I need my blue charms back.

02-Feb-2023 11:18:19

Rooh
Jan
fmod Member

Rooh

Forum Moderator Posts: 40,607 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It says "... As the reward track progresses, you might be lucky enough to find a bonus that rewards 250 Rainbow Dust...

Maybe it hasn't progressed yet, it's only the first day of the promotion.

Probably a bit early to be mentioning legal action.
Also, you should probably read the T&Cs: https://www.jagex.com/en-GB/terms

One section is posted in caps on that page, this is a cut and paste:

"WE MAY AT ANY TIME IN OUR SOLE DISCRETION CHANGE OR REMOVE ANY ITEM WHICH CAN BE ACQUIRED USING VIRTUAL CURRENCY OR MICRO-GAME CREDITS, AS WELL AS CHANGE THE AMOUNT OF VIRTUAL CURRENCY OR MICRO-GAME CREDITS NEEDED TO ACQUIRE A PARTICULAR ITEM"

I'm no legal expert but it looks like that might cover it.
Who's the cat that won't cop out when there's danger all about?

02-Feb-2023 11:50:12 - Last edited on 02-Feb-2023 12:53:09 by Rooh

Tranq
Nov Member 2007

Tranq

Posts: 61,819 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Original message details are unavailable.
It says "... As the reward track progresses, you might be lucky enough to find a bonus that rewards 250 Rainbow Dust...

I hit that in the 2 free keys. No idea what the dust was for though. Guess new items in the treasure hunter cosmetic shop.

Edit: nevermind dust alters the bonus multiplier. I've got no need for that...
When the day becomes the night and the sky becomes the sea, when the clock strikes heavy and there’s no time for tea; and in our darkest hour, before my final rhyme, she will come back home to Wonderland and turn back the hands of time.

02-Feb-2023 13:29:45 - Last edited on 02-Feb-2023 13:31:33 by Tranq

ELITE STACK
Mar Member 2014

ELITE STACK

It clearly stated in the newspost that rainbow title and rainbow glasses would be in this th promo. However in the probabilities section it shows no cosmetics there. This is misleading players into buying keys for items that aren't there. I need my blue charms back.

02-Feb-2023 16:01:30

ELITE STACK
Mar Member 2014

ELITE STACK

Original message details are unavailable.

Maybe it hasn't progressed yet, it's only the first day of the promotion.

Probably a bit early to be mentioning legal action.
Also, you should probably read the T&Cs: https://www.jagex.com/en-GB/terms

One section is posted in caps on that page, this is a cut and paste:

"WE MAY AT ANY TIME IN OUR SOLE DISCRETION CHANGE OR REMOVE ANY ITEM WHICH CAN BE ACQUIRED USING VIRTUAL CURRENCY OR MICRO-GAME CREDITS, AS WELL AS CHANGE THE AMOUNT OF VIRTUAL CURRENCY OR MICRO-GAME CREDITS NEEDED TO ACQUIRE A PARTICULAR ITEM"

I'm no legal expert but it looks like that might cover it.

It said in a recent newspost that rainbow title + glasses would be in the promo.
I need my blue charms back.

02-Feb-2023 16:02:12

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,176 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
First, when someone wants to sue an entity over a promotion, they will have to precisely present the source of the promotion. They can't just go to a Court and say Your Honor, according to a "news post" I want to file a lawsuit...". Let's not forget you have to tell the Court what law, real life law, are you suing Jagex under.

Second, according to OP (citation still needed), the "news post" doesn't say when will we get specific items. It also doesn't guarantee we will always get them. For instance, it is perfectly OK for a business to say "You can get Event Trophies" and "Dwarven Multicannon Ornament Kit" in this promotion, but they never said you can get them any time in the promotion.

Third, when something doesn't show up on the odds, it may mean the prize is not available at the moment you are looking at it.

Fourth, the said prizes have no real money values, and 100% belong to Jagex. There is not even a merit for any legal actions. All such attempts over virtual items have been thrown out in real life Court in a nano second. Otherwise anybody would file frivolous lawsuits like "I bought bonds to get membership and geared up to play Phamtom Muspah but Jagex didn't tell me the odds at the first day of its release. I sue!!!!!"

Fifth, the is no real world government regulations demanding odds of any virtual items with no real world values to be disclosed at the time of its release, or even released at any point if the game at all. If Jagex stated we could win Runescape Membership in an in game Raffle which has definitive real life monetary value, then it would be regulated under real world government laws such as the UK Gambling Act. However, it is 100% obvious TH doesn't fall into this categorg.

02-Feb-2023 17:15:35 - Last edited on 02-Feb-2023 18:01:34 by Dilbert2001

Quick find code: 366-367-342-66273797 Back to Top