Forums

Oddments Store [Against cap]

Quick find code: 366-367-14-66178688

Sebivine
Dec Member 2020

Sebivine

Posts: 314 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
NOTE: This thread is only relevant if Jagex is thinking of putting a cap not only on TH keys but on all rewards.

Tl;dr is at the bottom of the next post

Dear reader

I'm writing this forum post to argue the case of not making changes to non-key related items.

Situation :
• Due to the 'abuse' of people buying TH keys with oddments, using them and then getting enough oddments back to repeat it, Jagex has said they have temporarily disabled discounts on TH keys and are thinking of putting daily caps on buying items on the oddment store. (read: Home -> news -> Update, Discounted Treasure Hunter key and Oddments exploit, 1st September)

My argument :
This (Putting a cap on Oddments store items) was done before in hidden updates.
As per Runescape wiki:
7 May 2020: The Oddments Store has been updated so that players can only buy lamps or stars ten times during one day. Both items have separate counters.
11 May 2020: The Oddments Store has been updated removing the daily ten stars and lamps limit.

I am not someone who is active on the forums or Reddit, but I assume Jagex has reverted this change after only 4 days due to backlash (or perhaps they just wanted to test it for a few days).

I am personally against activating a daily cap again because I, as well as a lot of other players, only buy lamps or stars when they are heavily discounted. I also often sell my TH rewards in exchange for oddments so that I don't get BXP/XP in skills where I don't need it. So sometimes I end up with a lot of oddments in between -75% discounts as those are not very often and I may sometimes miss it.

It's also bad for people who get tons of oddments through buying bonds from the grand exchange for TH keys or by using real money for TH keys.

In my case, I'm sitting on over 100k oddments because I bought 1x 450 keys at the start of the loot duels (major reason was the oddments) and because of not spending any oddments before/after for a while.

1/2 post
Active RS player untill 2012, then a 4 year break, few months active, 9 months break and now back again!Nobody quits this game... For game related questions PM me ingame only.

02-Sep-2020 23:26:45

Sebivine
Dec Member 2020

Sebivine

Posts: 314 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
If there is yet again a daily limit of 10 buys. It means players can spend maximum 14k oddments during a -75% star promo (28 inventory spaces x 10 (daily cap) x 50 (cost of star at -75%) = 14.000 oddments) so in my use case I will have to wait around 10 times for the promo to get rid of my oddments. I’m certain that there are other players who have more or around the same oddments as I do, especially players who spend a lot of money. For players who don’t have many oddments, which I assume is the majority of the player base, this daily cap isn’t relevant, but they don’t benefit from it either.

And what is the reason of the extra possible limitations on all (mainly if spending irl money) players? Because 61 people heavily abused this exploit.

Note: I don’t include the 835, because if I had spent all my oddments on keys during the -50% TH key discount (even without the intention or knowledge of the exploit) it would have been 836 banned players .

I don’t think all the players with over 15k oddments should be ‘sentenced’ to having to wait for weeks or months (if over 100k) to spend their oddments wisely because of some players abusing the system.

Fixes :
If you, Jagex, are determined to put a cap on non-key items: I suggest that you announce & put stars/lamps on the oddments store for the highest discount (-75%) for a certain period so players who are currently sitting on a lot of Oddments can spend them.
After this 1 or 2 weeks we will know that in the future, we may have to wait a long time to spend their oddments in the most efficient way (-75%) if they do decide to buy TH keys with oddments on their mind.

Summary :
- Don't put a limit on non-key items because it means a lot of extra time waiting (especially for people supporting the game with real money);
- Don't punish 1000’s of players for 61 players' exploit;
- If you do put a cap on stars/lamps, put them on -75% without a cap for 1 or 2 weeks so players can spend their current oddment
Active RS player untill 2012, then a 4 year break, few months active, 9 months break and now back again!Nobody quits this game... For game related questions PM me ingame only.

02-Sep-2020 23:27:27

Quick find code: 366-367-14-66178688 Back to Top