Forums

River of Blood

Quick find code: 341-342-864-65784233

Mathus
Nov Member 2023

Mathus

Posts: 479 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I felt a great disturbance on the Forums, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened; River of Blood.
Mathus M
| Seeker of Lore | Roleplayer |
Burn them all!

Hail Xau-Tak.

26-Apr-2016 03:10:10

Startraphell

Startraphell

Posts: 536 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
And so, ends the Spoopyness of Morytania. How the mighty have fallen. Thou shalt be missed. "I am true divinity! I am the father of nations and peoples! I am the thing you merely pretend to be! I am God, and I am King, and you can never defeat me!" ~Galath, Infinity Blade

26-Apr-2016 03:11:43

Sepulchre
Dec Member 2020

Sepulchre

Posts: 3,525 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mathus said :
I felt a great disturbance on the Forums, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened; River of Blood.

This is not the quest your looking for. *waves hand*
A
World Guardian
must learn to find
Balance
in themselves.
Only then can they
Control
themselves and forge their own
Fate .

26-Apr-2016 05:08:44

Sepulchre
Dec Member 2020

Sepulchre

Posts: 3,525 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Despite what people think, this is a fitting conclusion...
to the Myreque series.
The threat of the Vampyres ruling over Morytania with an iron fist and of crossing the River Salve to "invade" the human lands is ended. Now there comes a new story. How do we get everybody to live in peace? Werewolf, Vampyre, Human, and Icyene.. I feel like there are more quests in the Morytanian lands to come, this is only the beginning...
A
World Guardian
must learn to find
Balance
in themselves.
Only then can they
Control
themselves and forge their own
Fate .

26-Apr-2016 05:11:15

Gilvain

Gilvain

Posts: 70 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
So I wasn't the only one who thought the quest was bad. Seriously, it needs a heavy rework because nothing interesting happened on it. And it being only the end of the Myreque series is no excuse at all. Here is an outline of how I'd have done things. Feel free to give some feedback:
1) As an additional preparation task, make a blisterwood tree grow to the other side of the river Salve to provide the Varrock army with weapons.
2) Make the skirmish happen: Vanescula's forces attack and you participate in the skirmish for some time until you find yourself overwhelmed by the sheer numbers and are forced to retreat along Ivan Strom to restore the barrier on the river. At this point Screwte could appear as well, either to assist you in the process as a guide and to make a final sacrifice while fighting the vampyres.
3) Make the quest go along as normal while you search for the Extreme Guthix Balance.
4) How about having to kill Safalaan? Make it so the Wyrd transformation drove him FUBAR and so your only option is to kill him.
5) Making it not so easy to add the Extreme Guthix Balance to the well. Have some vyrelords/ladies and werewolves infiltrate the church and you to fight them. A hold the line mission while Ivan Strom makes the ritual for adding the potion to the well.
6) A cutscene that shows how the Varrockian army is saved in the nick of time from being obliterated by the vampyres, turning all who had crossed the river into humans and surrendering to the Varrock army while the werewolves are slaughtered.
7) The ending could go as it did with the quest. And this time the werewolves rebel and go because they saw they don't stand a chance and aren't willing to make a suicide attack on the Varrock army.

20-Sep-2016 07:11:31 - Last edited on 20-Sep-2016 07:14:05 by Gilvain

Ancient Drew

Ancient Drew

Posts: 5,732 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
There should have been the choice side of things as well. Whether to side with the Myreque, Vanescula or to complete Drakan's work. That choice was there are LoV when you spoke with Vanescula afterwards, but River of Blood denied us that choice. Prepare for hell on RuneScape in Naval Cataclysm!

Pokemon battle? Friend Code: 4614-0426-2439

20-Sep-2016 07:14:28

Rondstat

Rondstat

Posts: 2,770 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I truly believe River of Blood was released unfinished .

There's a huge amount of setup in the first act, revolving around the splinter group and Ivandis Seergaze, all for a payoff that never arrives. There's also the weird disconnect of the big, climactic visual (the assembled army) showing up near the beginning of the quest, then just disappearing until the end. Given the quest's strange structure, and Stu and Rowley's accomplishments as storytellers, I believe it was written with a final standoff against an assembled force of Splinter Group separatists, but then resources dried up and they had to rework and rearrange what they'd done. The entire 3rd Act was axed.

I don't think the lack of a final battle is necessarily a bad thing. Rowley claimed that the quest was themed around cooperation, reaching common ground and mutual understanding. And I think they could have written a quest that demonstrated our common cause with the vyres. But they didn't.

The adventurer's path is the triumph of dogma over reason. Confronted with suggestions of vyre humanity, we treat vampyrism as a disease, pursue a scheme akin to genocide, and ultimately reach resolution not via cooperation, but by backing Vanescula, the most dangerous vyre in history, into a corner. These are remnants of the quest that wasn't created.

Now, there are a lot of very strong elements in RoB. But they aren't well-put together, and I would love to see an outline of the original story.

20-Sep-2016 11:33:12

Quick find code: 341-342-864-65784233 Back to Top