Forums

-=The Lorum initiative=- Thread is locked

Quick find code: 341-342-529-65856117

HeroicSnorro

HeroicSnorro

Posts: 2,081 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
TLDR: Would the Lore forumers be interested in writing short stories, deepening out certain parts of RS lore, with the intention of getting these ingame as books found on bookshelves and such?

Hello Lorehounds!

I personally found it quite disappointing when searching a bookshelf to find 'nothing of particular interest', even when it was clearly stuffed to the brim with books. Now, after mostly lurking around these forums I have seen that you lot are definitely capable of writing awesome stories set in the RS narrative and I personally think it is quite a shame to see all of this getting wasted.

It got me thinking. Introducing a new book as an ingame item surely cannot be such a huge effort, especially if the writing is already done. However, there are three things which need to be considered if we're going to go through with this.

1. Are there people around here interested in doing something like this?
2. Are Jagex open to this idea?
3. Will the books actually get read ingame?

I think it's a fantastic idea to get more developer/player interaction going on, especially when it's about something most of us around here are quite passionate about.

Right now I made this thread because I wanted to see what the rest of the lore community thinks about this and maybe start a preliminary database if it's well received.

Interested? Comments? Criticism? Please share your thoughts!

-=HeroicSnorro=-
Sometimes, less is more.

01-Dec-2016 04:59:26

Wahisietel
Oct Member 2005

Wahisietel

Posts: 3,426 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Such a thing has been done before. Ultimately, it did not go very well.

If something like it is to happen again, ultimately the books need to be short and relatively insignificant in terms of changing the game canon. Stuff like fictional stories, journals showing a character's view on established events, encyclopedias and stuff showing the knowledge of a "common" citizen, and so on. The type of lore we used to get from postbags, basically.

But I think the main focus should be on having fun writing, not attempting to get anything in-game.
You never were our brightest star, Khazard. 'Vermin slaughtered like lambs'? What does that even mean?

01-Dec-2016 18:20:59

A Mad Hatter
Dec
fmod Member

A Mad Hatter

Forum Moderator Posts: 9,861 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I personally don't mind the idea myself, but if you're going to go through with this either one of two things needs to happen to avoid having a roaming mod potentially locking or moving the thread and causing all sorts of problems:

1) Some discussion about the entries and their contents needs to happen, or...

2) You use a main thread as a discussion/database/list/whatever thread in here and you have another in the Stories/Roleplay forum for the actual entries themselves for people to post on.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything by bringing this up, but I'd rather avoid dealing with issues coming out of completely preventable things like that if I could avoid it >.<

Wahisietel said :

I can barely recall this sort of thing happening before. What happened the last time? O_o
^+^ Antediluvian of the Draculesti Bloodline ^+^

^+^ If the Gods see fit to curse us with the Blood, then we shall raise ourselves above them ^+^

01-Dec-2016 21:26:09

Zulkir

Zulkir

Posts: 7,343 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Wahisietel said :
Such a thing has been done before. Ultimately, it did not go very well..

Pretty much this.

It was a nice thought, but sadly it's been ruined for us already by a certain group.
Zarosian Lorehound

Master Questcape Owner

Inconsistent Completionist

01-Dec-2016 21:45:06 - Last edited on 01-Dec-2016 21:45:34 by Zulkir

HeroicSnorro

HeroicSnorro

Posts: 2,081 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Did not expect this much response already for the first day. Thanks for all the pointers everyone, the feedback is much appreciated.

Wahisietel said :

If something like it is to happen again, ultimately the books need to be short and relatively insignificant in terms of changing the game canon. Stuff like fictional stories, journals showing a character's view on established events, encyclopedias and stuff showing the knowledge of a "common" citizen, and so on. The type of lore we used to get from postbags, basically.

But I think the main focus should be on having fun writing, not attempting to get anything in-game.

I was not aware of this either, but if it is the case then I am not sure if this can actually become a thing. Moreover, if we are going to focus more on the writing itself we would be turning this thread into a ~Headcanon Haven V2~, but now with more serious-sauce.

And A Mad Hatter, thanks for the tips. I was not aware of such a thing already existing to some extent in the RP forums. I will take a look over there to see if it is possible to keep this thread in the air in a slightly different version.

Zulkir said :
Wahisietel said :
Such a thing has been done before. Ultimately, it did not go very well..

Pretty much this.

It was a nice thought, but sadly it's been ruined for us already by a certain group.

Could you please elaborate on this? What exactly transpired for it to flop as much as it did? If I am going to try to keep this thread alive to an extent it could be useful for me to learn from past mistakes.

Again, thanks for the pointers everyone. If this all turns out to be impossible/impractical I will make sure to request the lock myself.

-=HeroicSnorro=-
Sometimes, less is more.

02-Dec-2016 04:00:13

Quick find code: 341-342-529-65856117 Back to Top