Forums

CoM - Various Implications

Quick find code: 341-342-50-65853141

Zaxil Nox

Zaxil Nox

Posts: 102 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Salutations,

Like many of you, I had the pleasure of playing through Children of Mah today. While I found it to be more of a World Guardian vs. Nightmares and Lava battle than a Zaros vs. Zamorak one, I was nonetheless quite pleased.
I'm going to use this thread to ramble on about some things I noticed while playing through the quest, so that all of you may do the same.

Enjoy!

The Assassin of Mah

What I thought to be the most interesting reveal is as follows:
Near the end of the whole ordeal, just before Seren euthanises Mah, we find out that Mah's core has been corrupted, and we discuss it with Seren. It appears that something has intentionally damaged Mah by infecting her core with some kind of icy blue... stuff.
It should be clear that one of the other Elder Gods had meant to incapacitate and/or kill Mah. At first I thought it might have been the formless Elder God, but judging from the fact that the blemish is described as icy, I conclude that it has to have been Wen.
Wen crippled Mah. Since Mah was responsible for suppressing the emergence of conscious life, it might well be possible that Wen actually intended for intelligent life to come into existence. Why? Does it have anything to do with Wen currently appearing to be split? Perhaps it has nothing to do with intelligent life at all, and Wen intended to replace the weakest Elder with a new Elder, split off from herself, for another, unknown reason.

21-Nov-2016 17:49:14 - Last edited on 21-Nov-2016 17:50:46 by Zaxil Nox

Zaxil Nox

Zaxil Nox

Azzanadra's Future

After receiving Mah's final superbuff, Azzanadra mentions no longer feeling any constraints upon his potential level of power. Apparently, it scares him a little.
It's possible that Azzanadra may also become a god now. I personally find that 1. a little pointless, and 2. a little far-fetched. Assuming that the mortal Zamorak was about as powerful as Azzanadra is today, he still required prolonged exposure to the Catalyst (and the Siphon), in addition to directly stealing a great deal of Zaros' powers. Azzanadra has neither of these.

I guess we'll have to wait for the PQD to be released to find out more about this.

Elder Mortality

If I'm not mistaken, it was stated by Jagex quite a while back that an Elder God may not "be killed". Implying that they can die through anima deprivation. Nevertheless, Seren is able to put Mah out of her misery at the end of the quest. Does this mean this characteristic of the Elders has been retconned? Or was Seren only able to kill her because she was so severely weakened?

Mahjarrat Procreation

Now that the Mahjarrat have been permanently freed from their rituals, does this mean Zemouregal may finally succeed in his goal of siring an heir by Enakhra?
I never really got Mahjarrat procreation anyway. As far as I undestand it, they were required to drain some of Mah's power in order to give life to a new Mahjarrat with it. Back on Gielinor, this power had to have come from themselves, as Palkeera's example illustrates. But now that they have been "permanently" buffed, is this still required? And if so, would it make much of a difference for them?

21-Nov-2016 17:49:32 - Last edited on 21-Nov-2016 18:12:09 by Zaxil Nox

Zaxil Nox

Zaxil Nox

Some final remarks:
1. Khazard is Zamorak's son. Shocker.
2. Zemouregal is... his own son? Intriguing.
3. Wahisietel is Zaros' and Marimbo's love child. Nah, that's not true. Neither has it been confirmed not to be true...
4. Apparently, "mahjarrat" is no longer capitalised. (Well, it still is in some of the character examines, but I expect those to be updated soon.) Does this (once again) make "mahjarrat" the species' name? I do hope so. I've always found "Dream of Mah" to be a tad... anticlimactic. And inaccurate on top of that, since the muspah are also dreams of Mah.

21-Nov-2016 17:49:47 - Last edited on 21-Nov-2016 18:14:52 by Zaxil Nox

Nature Rosa
Nov Member 2010

Nature Rosa

Posts: 119 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
tbh, I kinda think it would interesting if Azzanadra became a god. Since he is undying loyal to Zaros, it may give him complicated feelings (not the good kind). Interesting after BILRACH called him mad :o . Roses are pink
Violets are violet
The WG is a dangerous sociopath with a long history of violence.

21-Nov-2016 18:41:44

Zulkir

Zulkir

Posts: 7,343 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Zaxil Nox said :
Azzanadra's Future

After receiving Mah's final superbuff, Azzanadra mentions no longer feeling any constraints upon his potential level of power. Apparently, it scares him a little.
It's possible that Azzanadra may also become a god now. I personally find that 1. a little pointless, and 2. a little far-fetched. Assuming that the mortal Zamorak was about as powerful as Azzanadra is today, he still required prolonged exposure to the Catalyst (and the Siphon), in addition to directly stealing a great deal of Zaros' powers. Azzanadra has neither of these.

I find this the most fascinating of all.

You forget, the power Zamorak gained from Zaros he specifically said if he was to die, he'd give it to the Mahjarrat, which is exactly what went into Azzanadra who was already the most powerful Mahjarrat present.

Also, Zamorak was on Sliske levels back then with the siphon, with Azzanadra one tier bellow, if he can no longer feel constraints, we can assume he is now on the cusp too, on equal footing with Sliske also. So swap that round, Azzanadra is now at the strength of Zamorak with the siphon and exposure to the catalyst.

This has very very interesting implications. Perhaps we will see a new god rise? Zaros has always said he'd welcome gods into his service..
Zarosian Lorehound

Master Questcape Owner

Inconsistent Completionist

21-Nov-2016 19:00:59 - Last edited on 21-Nov-2016 19:03:01 by Zulkir

Half Centaur
Jun Member 2010

Half Centaur

Posts: 6,959 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'm hoping somebody starts looking into Moia's creation now.

The race doesn't *have* to die out. Yeahhh.... Now figure out how to resurrect it already.

Also, Kharshai alluded to leaving Gielinor for the Ilujanka homeworld. Sounds like he's going on a quest to save as many species he can. I like this idea and hope we get to see more of the Ilujanka, Hannibal and Kharshai.
"We call it being a hero"
"That's interesting, we call it utter stupidity"

21-Nov-2016 20:52:35

Deltaslug

Deltaslug

Posts: 32,671 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Regarding Elder Gods
You have to keep in mind that Mah had been running on fumes since this whole universe's creation.
Then Zaros, Zam, and the remaining Mahjarrat come in and empty the tank.

They make this whole deal about Mah waking up and being the whole "destroyer of anything and everything"

WATCH OUT UNIVERSE!!! MAH IS COMING FOR US ALL!!! AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO!!!

And if you think you're hosed when it comes to Mah, think about how bad her sisters will be, especially since they're stronger.

then ... they do this.

It's clear that the developers have overhyped it.
Yes, an Elder God IS hard to kill.
Yes, an Elder God IS insanely powerful.

They made a storybreaker power, where we're supposed to sweep in and do something about, and they lored themselves into a corner.

So how do they get around? They invert something already established in lore.
It is logical.
It is plausible.
They are literally children of Mah, so what they did made sense.

But the odds of it working with the Elder Gods is next to 0.
Let alone the odds of the other Elders even letting them get close enough to pull it off.

Zaros got his buff.
Zaros got what he wanted to further his plans on multiple levels.
Zaros has now proven he can do at least once what he swore he could do.
And he got a measure of revenge on Zamorak.

Sueros indeed.

21-Nov-2016 21:27:57

Deltaslug

Deltaslug

Posts: 32,671 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The interpretation now from the devs is that either they changed their minds or they were misleading us.

That or the interpretation is that the player char can't do squat, but other characters in game CAN. You're just a cog in teh machine in their plans.

So it's not that an Elder God can't be killed. It's just most puny mortals don't have a way of doing it.

21-Nov-2016 21:30:47

Quick find code: 341-342-50-65853141 Back to Top