Forums

Best God to follow?

Quick find code: 341-342-463-66122060

Deltaslug

Deltaslug

Posts: 32,671 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Simply put: it doesn't matter.

Unlike most games, there actually isn't a "right" or "wrong" choice in this.
It literally does nothing to the narrative besides a few rather minor dialogue changes. In the final race, it might impact which NPC you end up racing against. But all of the NPCs end the exact same way.

Runescape was create back in 2001. That was 15 years of game dev before Sliske's Endgame came along. They can't just retcon stuff or do certain things like bioware did when game dev was created around all of the options.

So whatever you do is a little bit of fluff to your own particular in game storyline, but it doesn't have "drastic world changing effects" (ie: locking you out of dungeons or limiting shops you interact with or very specific gear etc)

22-Sep-2019 21:11:13

O Teragard
Jun Member 2023

O Teragard

Posts: 4,181 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Like deltaslug said above me, in practical terms it means nothing. But I'm assuming your question was more in a personal way like which god do we think is better.

I'm inclined to say that Armadyl is the most morally upstanding god, but he's also one of the more mysterious because we still haven't gotten Rite of Passage to really explore his backstory. I'm a lot more comfortable with Seren myself in part because the tragic origin and existential situation she has and also because she means well in spite of everything. She, of course, has some grave misdeeds behind her specifically with what she ended up putting the elves on Tarddiad through.

I would follow the godless myself, but they truly have little power, even with the world guardian in their ranks. So I follow Seren.
Click here for ideas on exploring other worlds, specifically the human homeworld Teragard. This one's me baby

23-Sep-2019 02:00:56

Moecazgoe
Sep Member 2023

Moecazgoe

Posts: 8 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Zamorak's philosophy is pretty edgy and cool, also he's interesting because he's not a dogmatic kind of dude, 'you get the job done you're good with me' kind of guy. Iirc he was the only guy to be accepting of humans so since you're a human I'd say join him

24-Sep-2019 03:36:01

Alktenalfh

Alktenalfh

Posts: 341 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
ZAMORAK.
Zamorak's philosophy is the best. He has a bad rep because his philosophy is easily misunderstood and a lot of bad people hop onto the Zamorak band wagon just to increase their own power. But in spite of the moral question-ability of his followers (many of whom have proven to actually not be loyal to him, including the vampyres, Zemouregal, and the Black Knights), he is really well-intentioned. Zamorak is the incarnation of freedom. He is an anarchist. He believes that order is subjugation. His purpose in life is to "liberate this world from the other gods," (that's a direct quote from him). He is in direct opposition to tyrants like Zaros and Saradomin. His philosophy embodies freedom; no one should stand above anyone else because of who they are or by virtue of birthright. The only thing that matters is your own strength, both physically and morally. Plus, he was the only one who lifted a finger against Sliske directly (in Dishonour) rather than simply joining the band wagon and jumping on the chance to slay other gods to win the Stone of Jas.
Zamorak rocks.

24-Sep-2019 15:59:39

Moecazgoe
Sep Member 2023

Moecazgoe

Posts: 8 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
What do you mean by: "But in spite of the moral question-ability of his followers (many of whom have proven to actually not be loyal to him, including the vampyres, Zemouregal, and the Black Knights"

How are they morally questionable and how are they not truly loyal to Zamorak?

24-Sep-2019 21:15:55

DarthChosen
Apr Member 2017

DarthChosen

Posts: 632 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
zaros is an awesome god to follow and i personally believe him to be the right choice.
all the gods have done wrong at some point but you cant fault them all for it. the ones that were born gods have absolutely no idea what it is like to be mortal.
pssst....we know who you are. Hail Sithis!

26-Sep-2019 02:23:47

Jaekob Caed
Apr Member 2011

Jaekob Caed

Posts: 7,173 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Seren is my choice. I disagreed with her hands-off approach after the return of the gods but what she stands for is marvelous (serenity, goodness, harmony, etc.). Since Desperate Times, however, she seems to have understood the necessity of the gods' aid. Maybe none of them are worthy to rule, since they're all just finite beings (a true God should be infinite, good and righteous) but their power can help the mortals do incredible things.

Overall, it doesn't matter nearly as much as I'd like it to BUT my vote is for Seren. I used to be cool with Saradomin and Armadyl but Saradomin still thinks he has a right to rule and Armadyl.. well, quite frankly, he doesn't seem to be too smart. I like what he stands for but otherwise, he seems like he's quite naive and has a one-track mind.
~
Jaekob Caed
: Scribe, Scholar and Prince of the Kingdom of Heaven ~
The Jagex I once loved is dead... A THREAD

15-Oct-2019 19:29:24

Ashlin107

Ashlin107

Posts: 4,670 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Depends what you want in your god. But here's a brief run down of what they are like.

Zaros
is cold and calculative driven solely by logic. He is also a master of manipulation and is constantly think many steps ahead. He also seeks to become an elder god and believes that there needs to be control in society.

Seren
is the opposite of Zaros and is driven by impulse and emotion often not thinking of the consequences of her actions such as when she forced the elves to follow her to Gilenor but unintentionally subjecting those who didn't follow her to torment and agony. She does however try to be more wise as shown in her interactions with other gods such as Armadyl.

Saradomin
is very much an ends justify the means type leader. As shown with how brutally he treated Garlandia when she refused to fight in his army he ripped off her wings and used this to motivate others to join his army.

Zamorak
believes in "strength through chaos". As he believes when when people face hardship it makes them stronger and therefore he believes people should tackle problems head on instead of trying to avoid them.

Armadyl
is a strong believer in justice but he is also shown to be impulsive and naive. He is very much your overly eager hero who wants justice but this often makes him hypocritical when he does things like blasted Bandos because he suspected he was going to on a war path.

Of course if none of these appeal to you you could always follow one of the dead gods or the godless.
The statement below is false.
The statement above is true.

21-Oct-2019 13:14:48

woollyo

woollyo

Posts: 6 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ashlin107's run down of the different gods personalities is great. I know this is about the lore, but sometimes it's nice just to make a decision on who you personally like best! I've always favoured Zaros and Armadyl because of their fighting ability...

Zaros is of course the god of ancient magicks, and getting the ancient magicks spellbook was a great triumph for me when I first acquired it (and then went on to kick ass in castle wars using Ice barrage!)

Armadyl is the god which uses range, and range is my favourite attack style, so I've always like Armadyl for this reason.

So as well as the lore, you could also pick the god depending on your personal preference. As Deltaslug points out, it doesn't have a great impact on the story narrative so the choice is yours!
I... am a sheep

„›•*”ˆ”*•‹„ Member of OSRS Advice CC since 25/10/2019- QFC: 320-321-156-66125623 - Google Us! „›•*”ˆ”*•‹„

23-Oct-2019 13:12:00 - Last edited on 23-Oct-2019 20:33:29 by woollyo

Quick find code: 341-342-463-66122060 Back to Top