Forums

'Black Stone' and Necromancy

Quick find code: 341-342-438-66198431

RoninOctopus

RoninOctopus

Posts: 55 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
[1] Hello follks!

While exploring the lore behind various quests I have encountered an interesting connection between black stone and necromancy.

The most obvious example is the Pirate Quest Series where Rabid Jack, under the sway of Xau-Tak, is using black stone to create an army of undead pirates. However, this connection has also cropped up in places far outside the Eastern Sea. I'll list some notable examples below:

Zogre Flesh Eaters:
During the quest you investigate the undead infestation at the 'JigJig', a collective burial ground used by the Ogres. In the course of your search you find a 'black prism'.

According to the representative of the Magic Guild, Zavistic Rarve:

"...On it's own it's useless, but with certain necromantic spells it can be very powerful."

Ritual of the MahJarrat:

During the quest we discover that Zemouregal is using a mysterious black stone to maintain his control over the undead Arrav. Once smashed, the fallen hero is able to rebel against his Mahjarrat master.

Apparently the item was made of 'obsidian' which was gathered around Karamja's volcano, i.e. ThZaar City. This raises yet another curious point which I will discuss further ahead. . . .

Interestingly enough, the stone made a recent reappearance when it is added to the 'Mysterious Monolith'. . . .

ThZaar Quest Series:

In The Elder Kiln is is discovered that Tokkul contains the souls of dead ThZaar, trapped in a state of endless torment.

When examined, Tokkul is described as being made of obsidian. Although this is not directly connected to necromancy, per se, the fact that obsidian is known to carry 'tormented souls' does raise some very interesting questions.
Your friendly, neighborhood anthropologist

15-Jan-2021 20:46:43

RoninOctopus

RoninOctopus

Posts: 55 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
[2]

We know that Xau-Tak, a deity associated with undeath, is heavily tied to black stones as demonstrated in the Pirate Quest series and Elite Dungeons.

However, black stone is also utilized by necromancers who seem oblivious of this deity. For example Sithik Ints, the necromancer behind the JigJig inciddent, doesn't seem to be wimpering in constant fear or else blathering the insensible nonsense about 'Do you really think you can save them?' that we get with most people who have dealt with the ol' Black Hand of Death.

Zemouregal might be aware of Xau-Tak, but makes no mention of the entity in any of his journals or conversations.

In closing, here is the biggest questions being raised from this investigation:

Is it possible that those who practice necromancy are perhaps unknowingly drawing upon the power of Xau-Tak when they raise the dead?

Are the black stones associated with Xau-Tak similar to Tokkul in that they contain souls trapped in torment?
Your friendly, neighborhood anthropologist

15-Jan-2021 20:57:40

Alktenalfh

Alktenalfh

Posts: 341 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Very cool idea.
If you've done Azzanadra's Quest, the black prism that Zemouregal used gets a mention. Azzanadra mentions that the black stuff that corrupted Mah's egg has a similar energy symbol to the prism used by Zemouregal.
In this light . . . I am now drawing all sorts of weird connect-the-dot lines. Mah's corruption, necromancy, Zemouregal, the Curse of the Black Stone . . . they all lead back to XAU-TAK.

23-Feb-2021 20:25:28

TheSARra
Feb Member 2019

TheSARra

Posts: 18 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Also, during Azzy's quest, you can ask about the afterlife while traveling Freneskae, and he tells you about Erebus, which essentially is THE afterlife. You know who else has recently mentioned Erebus? Raksha. I definitely believe Xau Tak is involved in all this somehow, and it's my theory Xau Tak and Erebus have a connection. Perhaps the black stones allow some sort of connection to Erebus? Or perhaps Xau Tak resides in Erebus? We'll have to wait and see.

24-Feb-2021 15:17:02

Alktenalfh

Alktenalfh

Posts: 341 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
There's also the fact that Raksha gave Kranon a vision that was the "spark" of his "religious devotion."
After that revelation, I think it's safe to say that Xau-Tak is deeply connected to shadow anima, perhaps that shadow anima even comes from Xau-Tak.

26-Feb-2021 01:05:47

Hguoh

Hguoh

Posts: 7,581 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Alktenalfh said :
Very cool idea.
If you've done Azzanadra's Quest, the black prism that Zemouregal used gets a mention. Azzanadra mentions that the black stuff that corrupted Mah's egg has a similar energy symbol to the prism used by Zemouregal.
In this light . . . I am now drawing all sorts of weird connect-the-dot lines. Mah's corruption, necromancy, Zemouregal, the Curse of the Black Stone . . . they all lead back to XAU-TAK.

Keep in mind that while inside Mah, her corruption is described as icy and blue (which was definitely meant to point us toward Wen).

Azzanadra also speculated that Wen is either incredibly, impossibly big or split in 2 due to the notable discrepancy between the location of her kra and her chronicle.

Makes me think the latter is true and Xau-Tak is a split portion/aspect of Wen (allowing it to be both divine and active on Gielinor while the Edicts were active).

26-Feb-2021 04:37:18

Lord Drakan
Sep Member 2010

Lord Drakan

Posts: 7,043 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I hadn't even thought of the black prism used by Sithik and Brentle, good catch! I wonder if these black crystals are the same as the black stone that is related to Xau-Tak. And the ones mentioned in Nadir as being smuggled into Daemonheim (as part of the ritual stone?). Certainly could be, but then the connection to Karamja begs explanation.

Note that Azzanadra remarked that Zemouregal's stone is in fact not made of obsidian. Hm.

What is this connection to the archaeology monolith? I seem to have missed that.
Bizarre Boron Fusswell, scryer extraordinaire. OSRS: POH ideas & RS3 minigames & achievement ideas !

Perhaps you're half right; perhaps we can't win. But we can fight.
— Zanik

01-Mar-2021 09:56:40 - Last edited on 01-Mar-2021 09:57:03 by Lord Drakan

Quick find code: 341-342-438-66198431 Back to Top