Forums

Jagex, I'm upset

Quick find code: 341-342-340-66255111

DaddyVx
Nov Member 2010

DaddyVx

Posts: 140 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I hate the lore in the Twilights of the Gods. When the battle is over I want to continue to be who I am.

I do not want to lose my World Guardian Powers.

Who ever though this up should be fired. Find someone else to write the next few quests.

10-Jun-2022 01:36:21 - Last edited on 10-Jun-2022 12:43:29 by DaddyVx

Jaekob Caed
Apr Member 2011

Jaekob Caed

Posts: 7,173 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Agreed entirely. This quest was an absolute mistake. It wasn't a terrible quest at its core but what it did to the lore angers me so much. It absolutely erases every bit of storytelling and worldbuilding that we've seen (and contributed toward) since the launch of RS3. Completely ticked at what Jagex did to the story of this game. ~
Jaekob Caed
: Scribe, Scholar and Prince of the Kingdom of Heaven ~
The Jagex I once loved is dead... A THREAD

04-Aug-2022 03:36:12

Sarvrey
Jul Member 2012

Sarvrey

Posts: 1,456 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Jaekob Caed said :
Agreed entirely. This quest was an absolute mistake. It wasn't a terrible quest at its core but what it did to the lore angers me so much. It absolutely erases every bit of storytelling and worldbuilding that we've seen (and contributed toward) since the launch of RS3. Completely ticked at what Jagex did to the story of this game.

Yeah, whole lot of build up for nothing. Direction of lore for a while has made me quite unmotivated. Lots of missed opportunities.
The Empty

10-Aug-2022 22:37:56

Elyan Sairys
Feb Member 2023

Elyan Sairys

Posts: 2 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
This was a gift and a curse at the same time. No more limit for the potential of the player. Who knows what will bring Jagex in the future for the lore ? :P One exemple is what Azzanadra says in the following miniquest... I was surprised too by this big change. But I have hope for the future of the lore.

Maybe this is just the true end of any Guthixian influence ? Maybe not... haha.

13-Aug-2022 00:46:11

Jaekob Caed
Apr Member 2011

Jaekob Caed

Sarvrey said :
Jaekob Caed said :
Agreed entirely. This quest was an absolute mistake. It wasn't a terrible quest at its core but what it did to the lore angers me so much. It absolutely erases every bit of storytelling and worldbuilding that we've seen (and contributed toward) since the launch of RS3. Completely ticked at what Jagex did to the story of this game.

Yeah, whole lot of build up for nothing. Direction of lore for a while has made me quite unmotivated. Lots of missed opportunities.

Nailed it. While the "random adventurer does everything" approach worked back in the day because the lore wasn't so grandiose and bombastic, that just does not work for a game world where we've experienced literal apocalypse scenarios on at least three separate occasions. Even worse is the fact that Jagex has taken the game's signature humor to mean "protagonist is an airhead" in recent years. I realize that it's extra work for little payoff but there were a few quests where Jagex offered the player multiple ways to approach the dialogue. That added customization was fantastic because it gave us the opportunity to truly roleplay our own version of the World Guardian. Shoot, even The World Wakes gave us this opportunity: when Guthix asked us what we'd do with our newfound powers, we had three (if I'm recalling correctly) options. We could say we'll honor his wishes and pursue balance and casting out the gods. We could say we'd use it to achieve godhood ourselves.

That sort of freedom only further adds to the RPG side of the MMORPG acronym but Jagex has absolutely lost the script of what makes a great MMORPG in the past few years, leaning too hard into one extreme or the other (usually the MMO grind side of things). I really never imagined I'd become a nostalgia whiner (as I used to call 'em) but man, I miss the days when Jagex was focused on creating a massively multiplayer online roleplaying game .
~
Jaekob Caed

13-Aug-2022 23:01:21

Jaekob Caed
Apr Member 2011

Jaekob Caed

Elyan Sairys said :
This was a gift and a curse at the same time. No more limit for the potential of the player. Who knows what will bring Jagex in the future for the lore ? :P One exemple is what Azzanadra says in the following miniquest... I was surprised too by this big change. But I have hope for the future of the lore.

Maybe this is just the true end of any Guthixian influence ? Maybe not... haha.

How did the World Guardian's abilities limit their potential? If anything, it enabled us to have more potential than ANY character in the lore. We could not achieve godhood ourselves, but we could still grow in power and harness not only the elder artifacts but ALSO things that even the elder gods themselves could not even touch. We were literally infused with the antithesis of their power.

This meant that, theoretically, the World Guardian had the most potential of all characters: able to grow in power like the gods, potentially even more powerful than them as we are able to utilize elements that they -- especially the elders -- cannot. Meanwhile, we are not required to sacrifice our right to an afterlife and we have the unique ability to be the only mediator on Gielinor. We literally have the ability to shape the world as we see fit because the gods can't touch us, most mortals respect us and the few that don't are so weak by comparison to the World Guardian in the Sixth Age that they really don't stand a chance.

Even so, Jagex had done a really good job creating limitations to our power to ensure great storytelling. We were infused with Anathema (shadow anima), meaning we were quite literally creatures of darkness. We are not entirely immune to divine power but we're resistant enough to be able to stand against the gods. We still have a limited mortal mind and our abilities are sided more toward the gods rather than mortal threats. The list goes on.

It's not a blessing at all, it's just a curse. One that I hope they retcon HARD.
~
Jaekob Caed

13-Aug-2022 23:12:40

Quick find code: 341-342-340-66255111 Back to Top