Forums

Male and Female Mahjarrat

Quick find code: 341-342-278-65856695

Niadgan

Niadgan

Posts: 731 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Seren indicated that Mah lost a portion of her power for each thing she created. Perhaps there was no creating and only the shaping of what already was. Mah's existence was torturous, and her home was inhospitable. It may be that Mah made from what already was something as far from herself and her home as possible- both out of a loathing for these things and curiosity. Mah is regarded as female. As such, she may have indeed preferred Zaros and her male creations in general for the fact that they were distinct from her. And that's maybe whycome there's more male than female mahjarrat. Because my answer is way better than that judgemental mahjarrat jerk's >.> I reserve the right to relentlessly edit this post many, many times over.

03-Dec-2016 04:29:43

HeroicSnorro

HeroicSnorro

Posts: 2,081 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Well, the 'judgemental Mahjarrat jerk' comment did confirm that the population has always been this way to a certain degree since the beginning and that there had likely not been a preference to sacrifice female Mahjarrat (or perhaps both happened).

Either way even though the Elder Gods are referred to as female they are genderless in practice , so basically even the concept of thinking up a gender is already quite far away from something that she is herself.

To cut a long story short, during her dreams she mostly dreamt of male Mahjarrat for some reason. It might somehow be a consequence of Wen's corruption that her dreams weren't in balance.

-=HeroicSnorro=-
Sometimes, less is more.

03-Dec-2016 04:58:09

Hazeel

Hazeel

Posts: 6,735 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I think it's obvious that Mah prefered Zaros, but it's also possible that she mostly dreamt them after him since he was the one who she was pining for, not Seren. Runescape doesn't need a hero...it needs a villain. An all encompassing force of evil that will remain ever-threatening and use chaos to make the peoples of Gielinor tolerate each other, grow strong together, and fight side by side against this evil. I am that villain.

03-Dec-2016 05:02:02

Niadgan

Niadgan

Hazeel said :
I think it's obvious that Mah prefered Zaros, but it's also possible that she mostly dreamt them after him since he was the one who she was pining for, not Seren.
Clever observation. In a way, she might have been filling the void (although it doesn't seem Mah was lucid enough to show that kind of psychology).

HeroicSnorro said :
Well, the 'judgemental Mahjarrat jerk' comment did confirm that the population has always been this way to a certain degree since the beginning and that there had likely not been a preference to sacrifice female Mahjarrat (or perhaps both happened).
That's an interesting theory. If that were the case, it's likely the other Mahjarrat would show overt contempt towards Enakhra, however. Maybe that faded from their culture with time, but you'd think there'd be some mention of it somewhere. That all being said, it would explain why she gets so combative when the subject comes to her gender.
I reserve the right to relentlessly edit this post many, many times over.

03-Dec-2016 05:16:29

Wahisietel
Oct Member 2005

Wahisietel

Posts: 3,426 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The thing is, like Mah, Zaros and Seren aren't biologically male and female either, and probably wouldn't have started identifying as such until after they left Freneskae and obtained a mortal following. So Mah creating more males because she favoured Zaros wouldn't really make much sense, since she wouldn't have viewed Zaros as such.

Honestly I'm inclined to just ignore what Enakhra said entirely since it really doesn't make much sense. It's already implied elsewhere that female Mahjarrat are weakened significantly by pregnancy, making them good targets for rituals, which is a good enough explanation for me.

Or maybe it's just that Azzanadra is sexist and prioritised saving males over saving females when he was protecting Mahjarrat from Tumeken's blast. #BlameAzzanadra2016
You never were our brightest star, Khazard. 'Vermin slaughtered like lambs'? What does that even mean?

03-Dec-2016 15:06:52

Hguoh

Hguoh

Posts: 7,581 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Wahisietel said :
The thing is, like Mah, Zaros and Seren aren't biologically male and female either, and probably wouldn't have started identifying as such until after they left Freneskae and obtained a mortal following. So Mah creating more males because she favoured Zaros wouldn't really make much sense, since she wouldn't have viewed Zaros as such.

The elders were responsible for creating at least the first forms of life in the RS universe. Is it truly so much of a stretch that they may instinctually understand and create some sexually reproducing and even sexually dimorphic organisms even though they personally are genderless?

03-Dec-2016 17:52:56

Niadgan

Niadgan

Wahisietel said :
Honestly I'm inclined to just ignore what Enakhra said entirely since it really doesn't make much sense.
Well, that's part of the fun. As the final lines in my post suggest (being written with poor grammar and suggesting I was moreso writing this thread as payback for Enakhra lashing out at me for a completely innocent question), I'm just having fun reading way too far into what was probably just a continuation of the joking reference to Enakhra's retconned crush on Zamorak at the end of Dishonor Among Thieves.

Still, though, it IS fun to see just how much could be made of what Enakhra made such a point of writing off. HeroicSnorro suggested Mahjarrat culture might have been sexist, which would be supported by your pointing out that female Mahjarrat are weakened in the process of reproduction and Enakhra's irritability whenever the subject is brought up. Hazeel pointed out that the disproportion might be a result of Zaros being the one who left and Mah wanted back, whereas Seren- regardless of being genderless or not- has a decidedly feminine appearance, which may have driven Mah to create more male than female Mahjarrat (who ARE one gender or another).

On the subject of whether or not the elder gods, Seren, and Zaros are genderless, that may moreso refer to reproductive anatomy than the concepts of masculinity and femininity. As far as Seren and Zaros, I'm pretty sure there's nothing official that states they aren't feminine and masculine (respectively). Additionally, Hguoh has a point: although the elder gods themselves may be genderless, their creations aren't always- consider the ones we're talking about, for example (the Mahjarrat).
I reserve the right to relentlessly edit this post many, many times over.

03-Dec-2016 20:26:59

Wahisietel
Oct Member 2005

Wahisietel

Posts: 3,426 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hguoh said :
Wahisietel said :

The elders were responsible for creating at least the first forms of life in the RS universe. Is it truly so much of a stretch that they may instinctually understand and create some sexually reproducing and even sexually dimorphic organisms even though they personally are genderless?

No, it's not a stretch, and we've seen that's what happened with the Mahjarrat. But we know that Zaros and Seren are both incapable of reproduction and probably not sexually dimorphic. Seren presumably only took on feminine traits after meeting the Elves and reshaping herself in their image.
You never were our brightest star, Khazard. 'Vermin slaughtered like lambs'? What does that even mean?

03-Dec-2016 20:36:45 - Last edited on 03-Dec-2016 20:39:19 by Wahisietel

Hazeel

Hazeel

Posts: 6,735 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hguoh said :
Wahisietel said :

They only created basic plants, nothing that could actually think and be deemed sentient like animals, humans, vyres, etc. So it is possible they had no concept of gender.
Runescape doesn't need a hero...it needs a villain. An all encompassing force of evil that will remain ever-threatening and use chaos to make the peoples of Gielinor tolerate each other, grow strong together, and fight side by side against this evil. I am that villain.

03-Dec-2016 22:10:50

Quick find code: 341-342-278-65856695 Back to Top