Forums

Makeover Mage, a shapeshifter?

Quick find code: 341-342-237-65783139

Solanumtinkr

Solanumtinkr

Posts: 22,240 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
There is talk about an Elite skill, Shapeshifting. And just recently this got me thinking. Would the Makeover Mage be consider a dabbler or Master of shapeshifting?

Is there anyone or anything else that would fit the bill?

Do you think he would be classed as a shapeshifted or just a weed chewing Muppet having an identity crisis?

Where did he/she/it come from?

Where did they learn their trade?

Are they some sort of demon in disguise?
The purpose of adventure is to shine light into dark places,
Poke monsters with a sharp stick, Then steal anything that isn't nailed down!
To the Manor Born QFC 185-186-367-65788716

23-Apr-2016 18:34:46 - Last edited on 23-Apr-2016 18:54:46 by Solanumtinkr

Cthris
Dec Member 2023

Cthris

Posts: 5,206 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Double post

But I'll answer a different question. The makeover Mage got their power from a special amulet, and if memory serves right it came from some best of an extinct bird. They've now memorized the spell and will give out an inferior version of the amulet.

Pete/peta says that Pete/peta was a male human before finding the amulet

23-Apr-2016 18:59:06 - Last edited on 23-Apr-2016 19:08:33 by Cthris

Cthris
Dec Member 2023

Cthris

There are lots of shape shifters in Runescape. I believe there is even a port voyage revolving around an individual who is dubbed as a shape shifter. There is also a port voyage storyline about shape shifting creature.

On the western side, some demons are shown to be quite skilled at shape shifting. Legends quest demon for example. Tarn seems to also be good at shape shifting. Another necromancer, malignis, is able to shape shift others. The mahjarrat are obviously quite skilled, Sliske is skilled enough to shape shift gregy. Obviously the gods can. Kolodion shape shifts so much it's unknown what race he is, though his examine text says he's a shape shifter. The player can brew a potion to change their race.

All in all, I would say the make over Mage is nothing special.

23-Apr-2016 19:00:02

Solanumtinkr

Solanumtinkr

Well they are definitely not the only shapeshifter, but if you look at the crowd you are comparing them with, that lot could be considered heavyweights.

So for curiosities sake answer me this: If you had to chose one NPC to be Master of a Shapeshifting skill, who would you chose and why?

23-Apr-2016 19:34:19 - Last edited on 23-Apr-2016 19:46:00 by Solanumtinkr

Cthris
Dec Member 2023

Cthris

Solanumtinkr said :

So for curiosities sake answer me this: If you had to chose one NPC to be Master of a Shapeshifting skill, who would you chose and why?

Either Hel**r or Kolodion. Hel**r because he's been training his skills for an ungodly amount of years. Though I prefer Kolodion, mostly because he kind of a wildcard character, and isn't an elf fanatic, but also because he has shown he is capable of shape-shifting into so many different life forms.

Personally, though, I really hope that we don't get a shape-shifting skill. It seems too silly, and I would not be able to take it seriously, especially if I have to turn into a giant rat or spider or something. Not to mention it will be stupid in quest situations. For instance, say we are locked up in a jail, or can't touch the floor or something and we aren't able to turn into a mouse or a bird to escape.

23-Apr-2016 19:56:21 - Last edited on 23-Apr-2016 19:57:42 by Cthris

Solanumtinkr

Solanumtinkr

Yes well, changing into a mouse would be daft, oh wait, we can already do that... And Goblins
I think if we had one it would be limited to humanoid form, just different skins for the player. Or something temporary. Heck or even doing it to other things. Point being that I am digging into shapeshifting in all it's myriad forms and I might as well start with the Makeover Mage. As he is the most prolific one to do it others.

Which shows with the right knowledge, it's easy.

How it would relate to players and the required mechanics to make it work, is semantics.

23-Apr-2016 20:19:21

Maiden China

Maiden China

Posts: 5,142 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
that weapon the dwarves use is 'definitely cannon' :P

the makeover mage doesn't fit with most lore though, so in most storylines he's not canon... so when you're talking about demons, mahjarrat, elves and so, the makeover mage isn't going to be involved
Carn

24-Apr-2016 10:11:30

Solanumtinkr

Solanumtinkr

Yet quiet a few of those named have shapeshifting as innate ability, rather than a learn skill. It's the difference between hand to eye coordination and communications. One is just trained to be better and is instinctual; the other is a learned skill and an exercise in mental agility. It's like comparing Apples and Oranges. The purpose of adventure is to shine light into dark places,

24-Apr-2016 10:34:41

Quick find code: 341-342-237-65783139 Back to Top