Forums

Forestry Feedback

Quick find code: 322-323-619-66274531

Sk8r Dan Man
Feb Member 2013

Sk8r Dan Man

Posts: 374 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
For the most part, I like what yew have done with Forestry. You've really gone back to the roots of what Woodcutting once was, while also branching out into new and interesting possibilities. Unfortunately, a few of the proposed ideas leaf me concerned. I wood like to address those here.

Forestry Kit & Items
The main thing that concerns me with the kit and items is how and where the equippable items fit in with current equipment.
Forestry Outfit
I'm sure the forestry outfit will end up looking cool, but it will unfortunately compete with the lumberjack outfit. Rather than being a strictly worse alternative, it should be a possible cosmetic upgrade to the existing lumberjack outfit, just like the Spirit Anglers outfit is. The possibility for recolor options is also a great idea for some individuality and fashionscape potential.
Clothes Pouch
Which brings me to the clothes pouch. I really dislike this idea. You should absolutely have to wear the lumberjack outfit to gain its benefits. If you don't like the look of it, then the forestry outfit (as a lumberjack transmog) with possible recolors should be more than enough to let you stylize your character without sacrificing the xp bonus. The clothes pouch just feels like a weird hack to address an issue that can be better solved in other ways.
Cape Slot
However, the one equipment slot which I believe should remain sacred and untouched by skilling equipment is the cape slot. Capes of Accomplishment are pinnacles of achievement, and the cornerstone of most fashionscape outfits.
If you think that we should be able to wear cosmetic items in place of the lumberjack outfit, but that we should still have the forestry kit/sturdy harness on our backs in place of our capes, then I think you've got it backwards. Capes of Accomplishment are the cosmetic items players care about the most. Don't encroach on their territory. Back slot is sacred.

13-Feb-2023 15:33:04

Sk8r Dan Man
Feb Member 2013

Sk8r Dan Man

Campfires, Leaves, & Tea
The overall idea behind tree leaves is kind of interesting, but I have a few concerns with the current design.
Forester's Campfires
The ability to add leaves to a fire to create a sort of regional buff is an interesting idea. However, I don't think you should be able to gain the full benefit of these campfires without making a contribution. I think that only the player who creates the campfire should get the full benefit of it, while other players receive only a lesser form of it. To gain the full benefit, they would need to make their own contribution with their own leaves. This also solves the issue of how/if ironmen can benefit from campfires made by others.
Additionally, maybe a minute or two before the campfire goes out it could change in appearance to show it's dying, at which point players can throw a fresh log on the fire to reset its duration. Maybe higher tier logs could even burn for longer. In this case you may need to add leaves periodically to refresh the buffs as well.
Buffs
So the big question is, what are these buffs? The news post didn't go into detail about this, but it seemed to suggest that the regional buff would be a stat boost.
For combat I could maybe see them having a unique home on group bossing trips, but it'd be tricky to make them situationally good, without replacing normal potions.
Gathering buffs are more interesting. I could see people lighting fires at woodcutting, mining, or fishing spots to provide an invisible stat boost to people in the area, but some other relevant buff would probably be more interesting.
One thing I'd really like to see from campfires is resting. Let us sit next to a campfire to restore run energy faster than normal. It would still be slower and less convenient than energy/stamina potions, but a nice thematic way for us to finally have resting in OSRS.

13-Feb-2023 15:33:14

Sk8r Dan Man
Feb Member 2013

Sk8r Dan Man

Tea Brewing
I like the idea of a sort of flexible and experimental tea brewing system with a lot of potential for different combinations of benefits, but I think that in practice players will just figure out how to maximize the benefits they care about, and that will be all it's used for.
Lets look at the design as proposed in the news post. If I understand it correctly, it appears that with the right leaves you could easily brew a tea that gives a +10 bonus in the combat/production/gathering skill of your choice.
For combat skills, this would be basically useless, since you can already get a greater bonus than that from potions, except at very low levels.
For production and gathering skills it would be far too powerful. The ability to gain buffs to these skills has a few applications, the biggest one being the prerequisites for certain quests and achievement diaries. Currently the best way to gain these buffs is with spicy stews, maxing out at a +5 bonus, and being very unreliable. Many of these skills can alternatively be buffed with potions or pies, but the bonus is never greater than a +5. The idea of a +10 bonus to these skills is outrageous.
If you do decide to go the stat bonus route, then the most that teas should possibly be able to give should be a +5, and even then I believe that should require very high herblore to achieve (90+) and those teas should be untradeable. Otherwise they will render current stat boosting methods obsolete.
Rather, I'd prefer to see some alternative benefits come from teas instead of visible stat bonuses. I don't know what those would be, but I'm open hear some ideas.

And that's it. Any other thoughts or concerns I had were addressed in the survey.
Let's continue the discussion below!

13-Feb-2023 15:33:23 - Last edited on 13-Feb-2023 15:35:19 by Sk8r Dan Man

Zeffirino
Jan Member 2023

Zeffirino

Posts: 389 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Great analysis! I particularly agree with the competing interests between the clothes pouch and the outfit. It should definitely remain a recolour at best.

To be fair I haven't got time to watching the latest livestream on Forestry but for the sake of 'Old School' preservation it'd be nice if we'd be able to experience woodcutting as we currently do for those who prefer it especially for the purposes of being afk and simply chopping only.

14-Feb-2023 04:35:32

Jedi
Oct Member 2022

Jedi

Posts: 1 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hello!

I am trying Forestry out today, and am having a great time! My current problem, which in my opinion is a big one, is the rewards system.

As an Ultimate Iron Man, I cannot bank, (obviously). The reason that is an issue for Forestry though, is because I have no way of noting my logs that I chop while doing Forestry. The only way I can get noted logs to buy rewards would be to do pvm, outside of Forestry.

I think it would be really awesome, to keep all aspects of this update within the activity. Something for example, like the ability to note logs on Forestry Leprechauns, or to provide some form of storage, like for fossils on Fossil Island.

Allowing players to slowly add to a cache with the Forestry shop would also work, similar to how in quests you don't need to bring ALL of the required items at once.

I would love some feedback on this, I am sure every single UIM trying out Forestry is having the same frustrations.

I am not sure if this is the best place to provide this feedback, but it seemed like a good place to start.

Thank you for your time,
Squeek

28-Jun-2023 19:12:49

Mr_Finchwood
May Member 2021

Mr_Finchwood

Posts: 42 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I agree with pretty much everything in the top post in this thread. If people don't want to wear the woodcutting outfit while they cut wood, then they simply don't get the bonus. It's not that complicated. Fashionscape is an important part of the game, yes... but that doesn't mean every outfit can do everything. Sometimes you have to wear the uniform while you do the work. The OP is also right about the cape slot. If you can't wear your wc cape while cutting, that detracts from the game. Capes of accomplishment are sacred in a way. However I don't know where else the pouch should go. Maybe the offhand? Or better yet, the ammo slot.

Along these same lines, I feel like the leprechaun charm should be equipped, and it shouldn't work if it's not equipped. That would keep it in line with so many other jewelry items in the game.

Speaking of... the leprechaun does not award bark, so IMHO it shouldn't compete with other random events. It should be a separate spawn that happens independently of, say, roots or saplings.

28-Jun-2023 19:57:06

Mr_Finchwood
May Member 2021

Mr_Finchwood

Posts: 42 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Also please fix the XP/bark drops for the sapling event. As of now it looks like it will reward you if you don't happen to have mulch in your inventory when the sapling is fully fed. It would also be lovely if this event would automatically remove the mulch that one has in inventory when it's no longer useful so that we can just go back to cutting trees down. The same could be said for the bee/pollen/shrub event: the pollen shouldn't stick around afterward.

28-Jun-2023 20:07:37

Quick find code: 322-323-619-66274531 Back to Top