Forums

Slayer Guild

Quick find code: 322-323-146-66275202

HoboErektus
Dec Member 2022

HoboErektus

Posts: 7 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
So I've had this idea for a few years now. I feel that having a slayer guild would be a really cool addition to the game. I know that the idea behind slayer was exploring the world, but honestly having a guild would be pretty neat too.

What I envision is a large sculpture garden located between the edgeville monastery and ice mountain, and that the surface is a large memorial to heroes and famous monsters (though you guys beat me to the ideas with the new falador museum haha), and at the center of the garden is a large pavilion with a monument to Nieve (or a placeholder monument until after MM2 has been completed). Around this pavilion are food/weapon/potion vendors, and there is a staircase only accessible to players with a minimum of 35-45 slayer.

Once underground it opens up to a large open cavern with several different wings. The low level area (35-45) has access to a new slayer master who gives tasks weighted on difficulty and rewards only from within the slayer cavern (large wings with low to medium level slayer monsters).
The medium area (45-65) is very similar to the lower level area but with higher level monsters that scale accordingly.
The high level area (65-85) follows suit.
Wilderness wing
The idea here is that when on a task, monsters within the cavern have a chance to drop either tokens or yield special points to unlock special content. Either redeem them at a specialized slayer vendor for recolors, regular slayer loot, a temporary boost to a single weapon/armor/jewelry piece (such as +5 temporary stat of your choice), unlock the ability to enchant darts, etc. Or we can include weaponry and armor like the chaotic longsword.
However that being said, I'd like a level 99 slayer master to be able to be unlocked who can give access to an area with Greater Chromatic and Brutal metal dragons, Brutal black demons etc.
Or a survival wave cave where you survive progressively harder waves of 10 monsters of all types and the last wave is a random slayer boss!

22-Feb-2023 20:22:23

HoboErektus
Dec Member 2022

HoboErektus

Posts: 7 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I ran out of space so I figured I'd flesh something out some more.

I really like the idea of the waves of monsters idea. Players always enjoy a challenge, and if you created a leaderboard based on how far players get into the endless waves of monsters I feel not only would it make people have a greater sense of accomplishment, but it would also significantly increase replayability.

For example: Three types of wave games. Normal = Regular slayer monsters increasing in difficulty every wave and every 10th wave is a slayer task only boss. Wave 11 = increasingly difficult slayer monsters etc.
Hard = Advanced slayer monsters (Hydras, Brutal Dragons, Adamant + rune dragons) with the final boss of every 10 waves being any normal slayer task only boss or regular bosses (GWD bosses, all three daggonath kings at once, venenatis, etc).
Extreme = Only the most difficult monsters spawn every wave and the number of monsters of each wave increases every 10 waves. Two bosses spawn every 10th wave, or ANY boss in the game can spawn instead. Gotta make things more interesting right?

Rules would be simple: No banking, you can only use what you have on you. There is only a bank deposit drop for stuff you want to keep. No multicannons or sweets allowed (nothing that outwardly allows cheesing). The idea is to see how long you can last (anti-fires/antidote potions can only last so long). Every wave is multicombat. Imagine fighting 5-10 demonic gorillas at once. Entry fee would be free for the normal waves, then much higher cost of the special slayer guild only currency for a shot at the higher difficulty options.

I've always very highly enjoyed single player challenges and I really feel you've done a great job with the game so far. I've been wanting to share this idea for a few years now, and who knows maybe it might be a good one.

Thank you for your time.

23-Feb-2023 04:19:33

Zeffirino
Jan Member 2023

Zeffirino

Posts: 389 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
This is a really well thought out proposal for a Slayer Guild! Thanks for taking the time to elaborate on your thoughts I quite like it.

The idea of waves is a good addition too since Slayer can be quite grindy in its traditional form and this provides a neat alternative to break that cycle a bit.

23-Feb-2023 05:19:00

Sk8r Dan Man
Feb Member 2013

Sk8r Dan Man

Posts: 374 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The idea of a minigames with waves of progressively harder monsters and bosses does sound cool, but I'd be careful because this is starting to sound dangerously similar to NMZ, which we all know was a mistake.

On the topic of a slayer guild, I'm a bit skeptical. One of the cornerstones of Slayer's design is that it forces you to go out into the wider world and fight a variety of monsters in a variety of locations. I wouldn't want to impede on that existing core gameplay loop.
Also, we already have so many slayer dungeons in the game, I don't really see how a new one like this could add anything meaningful, without rendering those other existing options obsolete. Maybe instead there could be portals there that take you to already existing dungeons where you can slay your current task? That would probably compete with some existing transportation methods and banking strategies, but maybe it's an idea worth considering.
If we were going to get a slayer guild, I'd probably rather see it as an addition to an existing location, like the Slayer tower.

At the end of the day though, I think slayer's in a really good place compared to a lot of other skills.
If we were going to see any slayer updates, I'd mostly just like to see more boss versions of existing monsters. Grotesques, Sire, Kraken, Cerberus, Thermy, and Alchemical Hydra are all really cool bosses, and I'd like to see more of that. However, I'd want there to still be a good reason to sometimes just kill the normal versions of these monsters instead. Currently that's not really the case for Alchemical Hydra, Thermy, or Kraken.

23-Feb-2023 15:44:33

Quick find code: 322-323-146-66275202 Back to Top