Forums

Happy Tenth Anniversary OSRS

Quick find code: 317-318-966-66275228

Zeffirino
Jan Member 2023

Zeffirino

Posts: 394 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I can't believe it's been 10 years since the Old School servers were brought back! I certainly didn't return on day 1 and wish I got word about it back then!

Now that its been 10 years, how do you guys feel about everything that's happened in the past decade? I'm a student of history and I'm no different with that mindset when it comes to the game so I want to take this as an opportunity to hear and share stories as well as every ones hopes for the future. :)

Discuss away!

23-Feb-2023 05:06:51

Mjurr

Mjurr

Posts: 5 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
OSRS is still going strong in comparison to RS3, It’s great. I think some people are worried about the updates that are being rolled out. Purists want it to stay the same way, some people want it to be updated. Personally I’d like a HD option.

23-Feb-2023 07:48:34

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,201 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Happy 10th Birthday OSRS!

If you want to talk about the history of OSRS, I know pretty well about the differences then and now.

Community involvements are grossly different. OSRS now is all about content creators. We can easily see this with today's OSRS (supposedly) big 10th Birthday livestream with all OSRS Jmods from top to bottom involved. Yet, we only had number of viewers in the 2k and 3k ranges. That's not even as many concurrent viewers as certain individual streamers and the usual phishing vids like fake quitting and DXP now live... That's also a far cry from the 20-30k viewers on events like DMM in previous years. It was just about the same (or even lower) than a regular OSRS weekly Q&A livestream.

Also missing were the usual RS2/RS3 Anniversay guests like the Gowers, Mat K, Woox and such.

It was nice to have 10 pieces of cosmetics from an usual 5 minute quest the seasonal event style, but I think it could use some more activities to get the community involved actually in the game like in the past, such as the Community Karaoke, the Gowers's in game greeting and forum developer blogs sharing their future visions, Cabbage fighting bonanza (which later inspired RS3's Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza) etc in RS2's 10th Anniversary in 2011.

I have the general feeling OSRS players now are more concerned about the future direction of the game than nostalgia moments all the Jmods shared from the past 10 years. That's probably the reason not many seemed to be interested in this big Anniversary OSRS event.

I am glad to hear almost all OSRS Jmods told us about their favorite OSRS moments. It is a pity Mod Pips didn't have a word on his visions and future plans regarding OSRS like he did with RS3 in the Runescape 15 and 20 Aniversary events as well as some Runefest presentation... except that there will not be likely to be a Runefest this year again.

23-Feb-2023 19:52:28 - Last edited on 23-Feb-2023 20:09:46 by Dilbert2001

Zeffirino
Jan Member 2023

Zeffirino

Dilbert2001 said :

I too have noticed a lot of what you said. I think with regards to content creators, the internet itself has changed since those days to become more focussed on that. I remember on interviews with ex Mod Mat K, he'd mention that he would livestream himself playing the game and how it was a very experimental thing at the time.

I do agree it'd have been nice to get the Gower brothers back on again but there's always next time :)

24-Feb-2023 04:41:24

Zeffirino
Jan Member 2023

Zeffirino

Mjurr said :
OSRS is still going strong in comparison to RS3, It’s great. I think some people are worried about the updates that are being rolled out. Purists want it to stay the same way, some people want it to be updated. Personally I’d like a HD option.

I do believe a HD option was under consideration by Jagex or actively being worked on but I may be wrong.

RS3 has a smaller player base but judging by the number of active players it's held relatively steady over the long term. I think both game have found their niches fairly successfully.

24-Feb-2023 04:48:13

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Zeffirino said :
Dilbert2001 said :

I too have noticed a lot of what you said. I think with regards to content creators, the internet itself has changed since those days to become more focussed on that. I remember on interviews with ex Mod Mat K, he'd mention that he would livestream himself playing the game and how it was a very experimental thing at the time.

I do agree it'd have been nice to get the Gower brothers back on again but there's always next time :)

The next Jagex Milestone Anniversary Celebration will be the 25th Birthday of RS3, and we will have to wait for almost 3 more years.

I doubt RS3 will spend money the same way as OSRS to get guests to promote RS 25 though, but since the Gowers are rich already they will be happy to come to RS 25 for free. Anyway, OSRS isn't the Gowers' game, perhaps that's why they didn't come to OSRS's 10th Birthday.

24-Feb-2023 22:17:36

Zeffirino
Jan Member 2023

Zeffirino

The Gowers were on stream in 2018 last time I think. What do you suppose has happened in the past 5 years for you to think that?

I'd imagine the Gower's are mostly happy with the game. It's still fundamentally a simple, fantastical storytelling game with the exploratory element running strong.

No doubt there's content in there that the Gower's may not have included themselves such as raids but I wouldn't say that necessarily detracts from what the Gowers were trying to achieve.

25-Feb-2023 05:23:50

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

The Gowers may be instrumental to the pre-2010 veteran players and so more likely RS2 or RS3 players continuing their journey from the Gower era. The Gowers are more about game updates, future reveals, fun and humors and Cabbages!!! As such we actually see plenty of their presence in game in RS3.

However, for the current generation of content creator patronizing community, I don't think they even know what the Gowers did in early Runescape years. If you talk about Woox, they will know, but even Woox didn't show up in this year's OSRS Milestone 10th birthday celebration.

25-Feb-2023 18:38:56

daedlus58

daedlus58

Posts: 1,530 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
There are a lot of things they did right, but they did several things that really ruined the game for a lot of player. We could have a lot more players, if jagex had not decided to destroy the part of the game a lot of players loved.

26-Feb-2023 01:30:34

Zeffirino
Jan Member 2023

Zeffirino

Dilbert2001 said :

I think a lot of what you're saying is just emblematic of the way the internet has changed since the Gower's first made the game. The fact that it's thriving at all 20 years on is a true testament to its core fundamentals even if the community engage with the game and each other differently.

26-Feb-2023 06:20:45

Quick find code: 317-318-966-66275228 Back to Top