Forums

Blade of Saeldor

Quick find code: 317-318-902-66279636

Lelouch Vi B
Jan Member 2017

Lelouch Vi B

Posts: 2,111 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The Blade of Saeldor really does just feel like the redheaded stepchild of the lv 80 melee weapons. It's relatively unusable simply due to the price, which is set by the value of the Bow of Faerdhinen. The Saeldor will never be meaningfully cheaper than the Enhanced Weapon seed. And the Enhanced Weapon Seed will never be meaningfully cheaper than the Faerdhinen.

Beyond the unusability due to the price. it also just has no significant use-case in the game. So few monsters/bosses worth fighting are weak to slash. But that honestly doesn't matter, because if there were more slash-weak bosses, then you still wouldn't use the Saeldor, because the scythe just straight out-classes it by an insurmountable margin.

We didn't even get the minimal effort of a unique attack animation like the Rapier and Mace have. It really does feel like Jagex knew the Saeldor would be dead content and just didn't bother.

Is the Saeldor useless? No. It's still a lv 80 melee weapon. But it's by far the worst and for no apparent reason. It's forced to compete with far cheaper options like the rapier. And even in its attack style, the Abyssal Tentacle exists, which is just better at any encounter where poison works.

So the Saeldor has 0 boss applications, is outclassed by a weapon more than 60x cheaper than it, and doesn't even have a cool animation to show for it.

So like... what's the point? Ironmen? I guess, but at this point, the Fang is better and easier to get on an IM. And you know full well any IM is making their first seed into a Bowfa, so you're asking them to grind 2 Enhanced seeds? Most don't even want to do 1.

I just really feel like the Saeldor needs some love, because I legit keep forgetting it even exists, which shouldn't happen to the highest strength bonus 1-handed slash weapon in the game. It really needs a use-case outside of "Well I'm an ironman who somehow got 2 enhanced seeds before ever getting a Fang."
Now with added
[SARCASM]
Warnings for those less astute!

Archaeology Elite Skill Suggestion

06-May-2023 01:07:19

Lelouch Vi B
Jan Member 2017

Lelouch Vi B

Posts: 2,111 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
And let's not forget that after you buy the Blade for 100m, you then have to upkeep it with crystal shards. That is of course, unless you want to spend about 16m worth of shards to corrupt it. Because not only is the blade the weakest of the 1-handed lv 80 weapons, but it's also the only one that degrades. And if you do corrupt it? Well you'll never see that investment back because it becomes untradeable, and the only way to trade it again is to sacrifice those 16m worth of shards. Seriously, it's like they designed this thing to never see use.

It's so depressing to see the Saeldor's wiki page and expand the "recommended in" tab and to see the most powerful 1-handed slash weapon is BIS for exactly 3 things, being Barb Assault Melee Attack Role (let's be honest, Magic Short (i) outclasses it), Jelly slayer tasks (and it's tied with Rapier), and Fight Caves melee (in which it's tied with Rapier and Mace). There's literally nothing this weapon excels at and it's honestly sad.

For clarification, I'm not necessarily asking for a Saeldor buff. You don't need to buff an item to give it a use-case. Maybe a new Slash-weak boss that's immune to poison and where the scythe doesn't dominate. Make it so it doesn't degrade by default and doesn't need corrupted? Maybe make it work with the Crystal armor for a setup that has lower max damage than a traditional strength bonus set, but is more accurate? Heck, at least give it a unique attack animation. I'd take anything at this point.
Now with added
[SARCASM]
Warnings for those less astute!

Archaeology Elite Skill Suggestion

06-May-2023 01:13:17 - Last edited on 06-May-2023 03:21:43 by Lelouch Vi B

Sei Asagiri
Nov Member 2019

Sei Asagiri

Posts: 439 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Crystal armor, before it was released, had been toyed around with as a potential hybrid armor set, either as single pieces or with the ability to morph it to change style. Just give us that melee version and have it do the same for Saeldor as it does for FaerBow (but more along the lines of Inquisitor's set bonus in terms of numbers), with the defense values of barrows or so. Not only would this deliver on the old ideas some of us heard and liked that didn't end up coming to fruition, but it would solve the Saeldor "being the black sheep of the family" problem, so to speak.

11-May-2023 07:00:58

Quick find code: 317-318-902-66279636 Back to Top