Forums

WHERE DID MOD MUTING GO?

Quick find code: 317-318-524-66275831

Oxifire
Mar Member 2022

Oxifire

Posts: 163 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'm growingso tired of spam bots. I realize its a game of whack a mole, but come on man! We even have bots verbally attacking other bots now. It's so out of control.

Here's how I would do it. You create a new list, sort of a black list specifically for spam bots that they're not aware they get added to, then players get a toggle option to either allow or hide chats from players on this list.

This would enable players to unblock chats just incase they actually want to see all that garbage. I can't even read a conversation in the ge anymore. It's so broken. There are at least 10x spam and scam messages posted out there than legitimate chats, and it's never been worse than it is now.
Life is an illusion that time goes on forever.

04-Mar-2023 18:11:03

RogersMinion
Mar Member 2020

RogersMinion

Posts: 88 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Sadly no matter what you do, bots will always be here and creating new accounts. I think the best thing to do is “report abuse” and add them to ignore.
Carry 29 Shrimp?! Are you crazy??

Carry 27 shrimp and 2.1 billion cannonballs? Now that I can do...

05-Mar-2023 00:13:13

Tenebri
Jan Member 2015

Tenebri

Posts: 39,236 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Oxifire said :

Here's how I would do it. You create a new list, sort of a black list specifically for spam bots that they're not aware they get added to, then players get a toggle option to either allow or hide chats from players on this list.

you can use the ignore list for this.

pmod mutes last one hour, and its not a job for pmods to go around fighting crime, because they are not rule enforcers.

so no mod muting didnt go anywhere.

the thing you see is just a huge infestation that is not easily dealt with. its infact the hardest thing to get rid of. because even if it was perm ban asap. they still wouldnt go anywhere as it takes no times to create another and replace it.
200m all RS3 on 7/3/19
1.2Billion overall Slayer xp / Ultimate slayer title

OSRS 2277/2277 Untrim slayer cape
Hail Satan, He loves for who you are.

06-Mar-2023 10:51:39

Miu

Miu

Posts: 16,955 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Having a player moderator at every spambot area on every world at every time is completely unreasonable. More player moderators also opens up more opportunity for abuse - and compromised player moderators lend more legitimacy towards scams and lures. It shouldn't be unpaid moderators' jobs to deal with the spambot problem.

Report and move on. Reporting even automatically ignores the reported player, so you shouldn't see this spam for more than a few moments anyway.
Don't forget – RuneScape members get TWO free spins a day instead of the usual one!

07-Mar-2023 04:03:57

Oxifire
Mar Member 2022

Oxifire

Muting used to be weeks or potentially permanent, so not sure where you're getting only 1 hour from. They probably have the ability to water it down to shut up people arguing. I'm also not suggesting we have mods at every location. You'd need 3-4 dudes tops.

And like I mentioned in my original post, if they got shadow banned it would make it much harder for them to know when to crop up a new account.

It doesn't make technical sense to store long ass lists of every spam bot that ever existed in a players ignore list. There are over a million RS players, and if everyone ignored 1 bot that would be 1 million database entries to mute 1 bot. Therefor a central list of shadow banned accounts makes the most technical sense.
Life is an illusion that time goes on forever.

09-Mar-2023 14:28:39

Tuffty
Jan
fmod Member

Tuffty

Forum Moderator Posts: 152,198 Ruby Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@Oxifire

Your reports means as much to Jagex as P-Mods reports do. They count the same when it comes to suspect bot reporting.

If you feel soemone is botting then report ingame for Macroing.

If you feel someone is using an Auto Typer again report for Macroing.

If you feel someones txt is getting out of hand then ADD them to your ignore list.

I know some people can be a pain when it comes to fast typing. Thats why the Ignore list is a life saver.

Also so you know P-Mods Mutes these days are for 1 hour only. Changed from 24/48 hours many years back. Any mute longer then 1 hour comes from Jagex after they check reports sent in by the player base.

As for adding 3-4 Player Mods to certain spam locations won't work. Remember they are players first and Mods second. They have to enjoy the game too. If they come accross an issue where the P-Mod guidelines say action can be taken then it will be. P-Mods do not hunt down rulebreaking. Only when they see it it's dealt with.
Comprehensive Account Security
I don’t suffer from insanity—I enjoy every minute of it. :P

09-Mar-2023 14:57:12

Tenebri
Jan Member 2015

Tenebri

Posts: 39,236 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Oxifire said :
Muting used to be weeks or potentially permanent, so not sure where you're getting only 1 hour from.

the 1 hour is what pmods can mute for.

the weeks / perm mutes are not handed out by player mods, but by jagex.

no pmod mute has ever been able to mute for weeks or perm. that has always been jagex mute.
200m all RS3 on 7/3/19
1.2Billion overall Slayer xp / Ultimate slayer title

OSRS 2277/2277 Untrim slayer cape
Hail Satan, He loves for who you are.

09-Mar-2023 23:51:10 - Last edited on 09-Mar-2023 23:52:19 by Tenebri

Oxifire
Mar Member 2022

Oxifire

The point of this post is to implement a new mechanic that shadow bans the spam bots so they don't even know they're not being seen, because obviously the current system sucks and its inefficient. Life is an illusion that time goes on forever.

13-Mar-2023 18:34:03

Quick find code: 317-318-524-66275831 Back to Top