Forums

Old School General Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 317-318-503-65438311

Mr Crow

Mr Crow

Posts: 4,237 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Sanotsuto said :
Had an idea I posted a while ago to mitigate losses due to downtime/DDoS, since this seems to be reoccurring, let me know what you think about it:

I am no expert in the field of computer sciences or security, so if someone is, please feel free to let me know if this idea is plausible or not.

We all know Jagex isn't capable of rollbacks, especially since the first losses were 3 days ago and no one was in the office to deal with the issue.

It's been stated before that the game saves automatically every 15 minutes (it was not made clear, however, if those saves are stored or overwrite one another).

Would it be possible to implement a script that would function to automatically shut down the servers and go back to the last server save if an unusually high and suspicious number of queries are made to the server (like in the instance of, say, a DDoS attack)?

This would prevent the need to engage in "rollbacks" as a reaction to a crashing issue, and losing 15 minutes of experience to reimburse items of those who died shouldn't be a communal outrage like losing 3 days would.

yes that is possible to do.

blizzard also does something when it comes to people hacking your account and stealing all you items by screen shotting your items what your characters have. and they also keep track of where your account has been logged in via I.P. watching. and when you send in a ticket saying your account was hacked they restore it to the last point in which they know you were in control of your account.

24-Sep-2014 18:42:49

Norne
Jan
fmod Member

Norne

Forum Moderator Posts: 76,250 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Possible yes likely no. "When history witnesses a great change, Razgriz reveals itself... first, as a dark demon. As a demon, it uses its power to rain death upon the land, and then it dies. However, after a period of slumber, Razgriz returns, this time, as a great hero"

24-Sep-2014 19:01:41

Norne
Jan
fmod Member

Norne

Forum Moderator Posts: 76,250 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
No I mean that's almost certainly game engine work. "When history witnesses a great change, Razgriz reveals itself... first, as a dark demon. As a demon, it uses its power to rain death upon the land, and then it dies. However, after a period of slumber, Razgriz returns, this time, as a great hero"

24-Sep-2014 19:29:23

Mr Crow

Mr Crow

Posts: 4,237 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Norne said :
No I mean that's almost certainly game engine work.

yes it is entirely game engine work, work that Jagex hasn't even put in any of their games and is real easy to set up...could be done in a couple of days if everyone on the engine team puts their heads together on one thing

24-Sep-2014 19:34:36

l00tacris
Jul Member 2022

l00tacris

Posts: 9 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
so i pay 8 dollars a month to start a fresh new account and then after i spend my time making money at 3:24pm on 9/24/2014 i die when i get 1m cash and doing a slayer task on world 310. I would like to hear a reply why the world 310 and several others crashed because you guys are still making updates like bounty hunter while people who are trying to start from new because you forced my account into eoc and won't let me have it i have to suffer once again this is just unacceptable.

24-Sep-2014 20:38:57

Quick find code: 317-318-503-65438311 Back to Top