Forums

Upgrade To Jagex Account?

Quick find code: 317-318-474-66292606

Charlie Tom
Mar Member 2023

Charlie Tom

Posts: 2 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Just wondering if I’ll get the extra security from upgrading, I’m on my original account from 2005 to which I still login with my username. Along with having a bank pin with 7 day reset time and avoiding all the most obvious hacks (dodgy links, YouTube give aways, botting and so forth) surely my account is more secure as it is rather than changing to login with my email.

Any thoughts or advice on this would be appreciated.

02-Jan-2024 21:33:03

Applejuiceaj
Nov
fmod Member

Applejuiceaj

Forum Moderator Posts: 44,957 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yes, you will get extra security from upgrading as there is so much more Jagex Accounts than just how you log in. This includes but is not limited to:

- Support for more complex passwords: currently RuneScape accounts only allow alphanumeric passwords to a max of 20 characters in length without support for uppercase characters and special characters. Jagex Accounts increase the length to 64 characters and provide support for the missing character sets.

- Removes the potential for manual recoveries that require Jagex human intervention from being lodged against an account. Social engineering attacks sometimes allowed others to successfully recover your RuneScape account when they shouldn't have been able to. Jagex Accounts do not allow manual recoveries like that.

- Mandates 2 factor authentication for all logins - your post above doesn't state you are using the RuneScape authenticator. Also makes it so that you must be able to log into your account to change your authentication settings instead of just proving you have access to your email if you are using an app-based authenticator, which was a current hole in Jagex's security setup with RuneScape accounts.

There is much more to having a secure account than having a username login vs an email login. The end goal of Jagex Accounts is you have one set of secure credentials that requires multi-factor authentication, that are only entered into a single login portal (the website, which can employ better protection against malicious attacks) and gives you access to all of your characters.

02-Jan-2024 21:50:44

Applejuiceaj
Nov
fmod Member

Applejuiceaj

Forum Moderator Posts: 44,957 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
With the above in mind, eventually Jagex will require everyone to use a Jagex Account to play RuneScape or Old School RuneScape, so it really comes down to whether you want to upgrade now or upgrade later. Personally speaking, I upgraded my account as soon as I was eligible and have been pleased with how the new system works, so I'd recommend taking some time to read through the newsposts Jagex has made about the Jagex Account system so you understand how it works and make the switch.

02-Jan-2024 21:50:53

Quick find code: 317-318-474-66292606 Back to Top