Forums

Disappointed with DT2 rewards

Quick find code: 317-318-423-66282410

Sei Asagiri
Nov Member 2019

Sei Asagiri

Posts: 439 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Not only are we not getting any replacement for the Ruinous Powers, but there's too many problems with the new items.

First, and biggest problem: Bellator Ring is dead content out of the gate. There is not a single scenario I'd ever take it over Ultor Ring.

Second, the Virtus robes were an excellent opportunity to finally release a middle ground set of robes between ahrim and ancestral that gave +1% magic damage. Instead you REMOVED part of the ancients buffs on them...

Third, the Ancient Scepter upgrades do not give enough magic damage. I should be looking at 10% magic dmg across the board for ancients instead of 5%. I'd basically never take this over nightmare staff or kodai wand because the damage is so abysmal and the other perks are not worth the loss of damage in most scenarios. (I can see maybe using the ice staff on muspah or the smoke staff in places I can't think of right now, but blood is worthless to me when the heal is based on damage dealt, and shadow is... well, shadow. Just like spells like Weaken, Vulnerability, Confuse, etc. I don't ever seeing myself using this in any notably useful scenario, though perhaps someone can find some)

Soulreaper looks like a bad meme, and will probably be either useless or OP, but I will admit I am probably not giving it a fair shake and am open to being wrong about this.

Ring of Shadows I'd like to see us able to combine it with Brimstone Ring to get the teleport functions, the visibility function, and the prayer bonus on the Brimstone Ring, but this is much less important than the other issues I have.

I really hate to say it but I can't in good conscience vote yes on ANY of this. I truly, sincerely hope I get heard on this and am not alone, because all my motivation to do DT2 just went out the window beyond just maintaining my quest cape and enjoying the story, and I had such high hopes that you would hear us from previous betas that the DT2 rewards were not up to snuff even beyond the Ruinous Powers.

24-Jun-2023 00:19:04 - Last edited on 24-Jun-2023 00:21:07 by Sei Asagiri

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,201 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
They told us the reason why DT2 rewards have to suck: power creep.

Unfortunately power creep in OSRS is not because the good items are really OP. The real issues is they are pushing combat content so hard and so fast and the OSRS combat system is so simple and antiquated (everything is basically the same old prayer flickering) even a small change amplifies greatly, and causes the dominoes to fall.

Just a couple of years ago, everybody was sitting at whips and barrows. Now they are pushing things to 85, and soon 90 perhaps and they may hit T100 before RS3. RS3 revolves around heaps of abilities and fury of the small, they can make lots of impactful update on small parts effectively but OSRS can't do a thing.

Anyway, enjoy the sucky combat rewards. They will remain sucky as long as all we are getting in OSRS is combat content on a simple, outdated combat system, and every mob including maybe level 3 Lumbridge rats are bosses - a lot of bosses, a lot of rewards but the same old prayer flicking mechanics and lame combat rewards... that they will make up with large drop of skilling resources... to further rip off skillers and low level players.

24-Jun-2023 01:59:19 - Last edited on 24-Jun-2023 03:15:31 by Dilbert2001

Sei Asagiri
Nov Member 2019

Sei Asagiri

Please do not try to hijack my thread with your own, unrelated rhetoric. I'm not asking for power creep here and you surely know this. 1% magic damage on Virtus Robes and 10% magic damage on the upgraded scepters are by definition not power creep if ancient magic isn't best magic dps (which we all know it will never be while harm and/or shadow exists).

In fact, the upgraded rings are the only power creep here and they are already being offered--not something I'm asking for!

I appreciate the feedback, but keep it relevant or make your own thread. Thanks. :)

24-Jun-2023 05:00:24

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,201 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Please read the OSRS blog on Ruinous Powers and the new DT2 rewards:

https://secure.runescape.com/m=news/the-future-of-the-ruinous-powers?oldschool=1#_ga=2.221798619.232435668.1685760604-2110636823.1685760604

They clearly told us what they think about power creep:

"It's worth keeping in mind that sometimes things just sound cool and many players feel inclined to vote 'Yes', even in cases where the cool thing isn't healthy for the game long term - and to some degree it's on us to keep this in check and just not offer things we feel will damage the game long-term.

When it comes to taking a conservative approach, there are two things we try to bear in mind above all else:

(1) We don't want to harm the value of equipment where possible.
(2) Look to utilise 'horizontal progression' and niche weapons to fill in gaps and help players overcome obstacles that already exist."

They clearly have given us the "two things" they look at power creep. Unfortunately your definition of "1%", "10%" or whatever magic damage is not a thing in the OSRS team's mind.

Please note I quoted the official blog from the official OSRS team. It is what they clearly told us, whether you agreed it or not, and your definition of power creep is irrelevant to the official OSRS team anyway.

24-Jun-2023 17:13:24 - Last edited on 24-Jun-2023 17:15:18 by Dilbert2001

Sei Asagiri
Nov Member 2019

Sei Asagiri

The Ruinous Powers are completely separate from my post. They have already been shelved and are thus irrelevant. So yes, power creep is not present at all in my post, and thus has no bearing on my post and the discussion. I will once again ask you, please keep your unrelated opinions out of this thread and make your own if you want to voice them. I do not like this kind of solicitation and thread hijacking.

25-Jun-2023 01:14:59

The contents of this message have been hidden.

25-Jun-2023 01:47:59

Sei Asagiri
Nov Member 2019

Sei Asagiri

I'm only going to say this one more time. That entire post was about the Ruinous Powers, and you are taking it out context. If they had time to make the Ruinous Powers a good prayer book, they would be the reward for DT2. Them being shelved is not an excuse for lacking rewards, and your claim that they don't do more because of "power creep" fall in the face of this aforementioned fact that we both know is true (that Ruinous Powers would be polled as a reward if everyone was happy with them). In fact, you even talk about the rings "filling their non power creep agenda" that are literally the ONLY concrete example of ACTUAL power creep. Just stop; I'm getting embarrassed for you. I will not ask you again. Keep your post on topic or make your own thread. If you feel like anything in my post is power creep then by all means talk about power creep, but as I've pointed out numerous times why your chosen angle is tangent to a parallel, at best, it belongs elsewhere.

I'll even help you out here and offer an easy example of what is on topic for claims of power creep.

"Virtus Robes having 1% magic damage for all types would just encourage mage robe power creep in the future." Valid criticism, though I'd disagree, and is a concern I would definitely be willing to discuss and I think is a healthy take on the ideas I've posted.

There, now you no longer have any (good) excuse to try to hijack my thread with your grievances/rhetoric. Please have yourself a nice day. (p.s. that's not a passive aggressive have a nice day, but I can't think of a way to phrase it better offhand)

25-Jun-2023 05:16:35

The contents of this message have been hidden.

25-Jun-2023 16:09:15

Zeffirino
Jan Member 2023

Zeffirino

Posts: 394 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I think horizontal progression is a design feature as you've noticed.

Would you say the new BiS rings are disappointing rewards though given they've been around since 2005?

Did you want Virtus to be even better than Ancestral?

27-Jun-2023 10:42:09

Quick find code: 317-318-423-66282410 Back to Top