Forums

Questions about OSRS

Quick find code: 317-318-421-66292538

Cernunnos

Cernunnos

Posts: 1,669 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I'm a maybe-returning player that's become disillusioned about the playerbase in RS3. Turns out OSRS players are rolled into the RS3 players on the website. Kinda hurts my interest in returning to RS3 if it's gonna be almost impossible to find large and active groups for certain activities.

I have some questions concerning OSRS I'd very much appreciate if they could be answered.

1. Does OSRS have degradable gear?
I've been playing since early RS2 when the game was blocky. I can't give an exact date when I started, but it was sometime after the Barrows Brothers came out. I quit years later when I realized all the cool new high-level/endgame content requires degradable gear in order to have a good chance at winning. It was enough to make me stop playing since I didn't want to have to worry about whether I'm making profit in everything I do in order to keep using my shiny cool outfits. I glanced through the OSRS wiki and, while Barrows armor still degrades, some of the much higher gear (ex. Torva, Justiciar) doesn't appear so. Is this true?

2. How populated are minigames?
Back in the day before the EOC fiasco, I absolutely loved Soul Wars! The lobby was crowded and the fights were fierce. RS3 Soul Wars lobbies are absolutely derelict now, even in dedicated servers. Are there more people in these activities at all hours?

3. Can I transfer my RS3 account to OSRS?
I spent a lot of time grinding it, it would absolutely suck having to start over again.

4. How is the grind? Can it be AFK'd?
Regardless of 3's answer, I'd like to know more. RS3 grind appears to be particularly egregious to the point they've monetized it by selling exp lamps. Is OSRS plagued by the same? Is there ways to automate skilling for exp in OSRS?

5. What are good ways to make GP?
Looking at the wiki, bonds are still a thing. If I were to return, what methods could I use to make money to make sustaining membership via bonds possible?

(Continued in reply)
Choose wisely, strike quickly, trust completely, and may you find the ending that you deserve!

01-Jan-2024 06:20:45 - Last edited on 01-Jan-2024 06:42:40 by Cernunnos

Cernunnos

Cernunnos

6. Will there ever be Dungeoneering?
Not gonna lie, the skill I had a lot of fun with in RS3 before EOC caused the schism was Dungeoneering.

7. How is the monetization?
As implied in question 4, RS3 seems to be monetized a huge deal. Does OSRS have similar issues of the game offering lamps and other ways to bypass grind? Or does it just have a cosmetic shop?

8. Is Treasure Trails still worth doing?
I guess I could've rolled this into the question on ways of making GP, but I was close to the character limit.

9. What other differences are there between RS3 and OSRS?
I don't mean just graphics and combat, because those are kind of a given. I have some familiarity with RS3 mechanics since it doesn't appear very much about it has changed drastically after EOC. What else is different about OSRS from RS3 that I might not have thought about, but might still appreciate knowing? Game balance, gear level differences in content (ex. How well does Saradomin Godsword hold up in current high-level areas?), new/old minigames, new/old skills, etc.

I can't think of much else to ask at the moment. I'll update if and when anything else crosses my mind.
Choose wisely, strike quickly, trust completely, and may you find the ending that you deserve!

01-Jan-2024 06:27:14 - Last edited on 01-Jan-2024 06:37:53 by Cernunnos

Miu

Miu

Posts: 16,996 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
1. Some high level gear degrades but not all. Some, like enhanced crystal weapons can be "corrupted" to make them non-degradable.
2. Minigames are pretty populated on designated worlds. Soul wars, I'm not sure. I think most people boost to get more points rather than playing the game.
3. Never happening.
4. OSRS is pretty grindy. There are afk-ish methods and high intensity methods that offer more xp per hour.
5. PvM is pretty much the main moneymaker.
6. There's dungeons / raids like Gauntlet or Chambers of Xeric that have similar themes to Dungeoneering. The skill itself isn't going to come out, in all likelihood.
7. OSRS has bonds and membership as monetization.
8. There's some big value items across pretty much all tiers of clue scroll, but on flip side, many other clue items are at alch price. Ranger boots are valuable. There's plenty of new third age, including pickaxes which are famously expensive.
9. OSRS has some interesting sequels to old quests, as well as a new continent far to the west with its own lore. It's pretty well done IMO.
Don't forget – RuneScape members get TWO free spins a day instead of the usual one!

01-Jan-2024 11:51:28

Tenebri
Jan Member 2015

Tenebri

Posts: 39,414 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
1. yes

2. depends on minigame, some are dead some are not.

3. no, everyone started on osrs as a new account. no exceptions. its an entirely new game

4. yes and no. some things are afk others are not

5. loads of ways. pvm / flipping are the main ones.

6. doubt it.

7. the only mtx is bonds.

8. its up to you. play and find out.

9. im not answering this asap, you said there hasnt been a drastic change since eoc. you are 100% wrong. rs3 has changed a huge amount since eoc was released.
but to answer, there is a big difference yes. the lore is slightly different, its gone down a different path than rs3 did, other areas etc. to answer this i feel is a bit odd as we could have a huge list and also a small list. play and find out....
sara godsword is not used in high end pvm.
200m all RS3 on 7/3/19
1.2Billion overall Slayer xp / Ultimate slayer title

OSRS 2277/2277 Untrim slayer cape
Hail Satan, He loves for who you are.

01-Jan-2024 13:40:15

Cernunnos

Cernunnos

Miu said :
1. Some high level gear degrades but not all. Some, like enhanced crystal weapons can be "corrupted" to make them non-degradable.
2. Minigames are pretty populated on designated worlds. Soul wars, I'm not sure. I think most people boost to get more points rather than playing the game.
3. Never happening.
4. OSRS is pretty grindy. There are afk-ish methods and high intensity methods that offer more xp per hour.
5. PvM is pretty much the main moneymaker.
6. There's dungeons / raids like Gauntlet or Chambers of Xeric that have similar themes to Dungeoneering. The skill itself isn't going to come out, in all likelihood.
7. OSRS has bonds and membership as monetization.
8. There's some big value items across pretty much all tiers of clue scroll, but on flip side, many other clue items are at alch price. Ranger boots are valuable. There's plenty of new third age, including pickaxes which are famously expensive.
9. OSRS has some interesting sequels to old quests, as well as a new continent far to the west with its own lore. It's pretty well done IMO.

1. Glad you can perma upgrade some stuff. What's the highest level gear, so I can better check the wiki? As a follow up to that question: Is this gear necessary to engage in the highest level content OSRS has to offer, or could I get away with permanent options?

2. Good to know.

3. Bummer.

4. Also a bummer. Making a new character is gonna be pain.

5. Could you give some examples? Don't need to go into detail if you don't want, I just need some ideas on what to look up on the wiki.

6. Unfortunate, but not unexpected. Figured I ask. I'll have to look into these activities you mentioned. That being said, are they one of the PvM activities that could be worth doing for GP, assuming I find them fun enough to grind?

7. Really good to know!

8. So effectively it hasn't changed much since my RS2/RS3 days. This is good.

9. Good to know.

01-Jan-2024 14:18:24 - Last edited on 01-Jan-2024 14:23:58 by Cernunnos

Cernunnos

Cernunnos

I spent more time browsing the oldschool runescape wiki and, yeah, almost all of the topmost best gear in the game doesn't degrade. Far as I can tell, Torva ranks amongst the best and unlike RS3, it doesn't degrade. For weapons, every weapon except the scythe from Theatre of Blood are non-degrading too. In terms of stats, godswords still appear to be one of the strongest 2h weapons you can get too which means Saradomin Godsword would still be useful in high level content.

Unless, like I said in the OP, the wiki is out of date.

Either way, this is very pleasant to learn. My biggest gripe with Runescape, dating back to RS2, was how a lot of content is simply inaccessible unless you use and maintain degradable gear. I very much dislike the idea of having to make sure everything I do will result in large enough profit to maintain my gear. No, I don't like the idea of having to downgrade myself either. I earned the gear, I'd like to use it, but not only if it's in content that makes money to keep it functional.

That said, I'm now more tempted to try OSRS, despite having to spend the equivalent of my childhood leveling a new character all over again.

04-Jan-2024 19:38:01 - Last edited on 04-Jan-2024 20:48:11 by Cernunnos

Tenebri
Jan Member 2015

Tenebri

Posts: 39,414 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Cernunnos said :

its changed a lot

Cernunnos said :

its updated constantly with a dedicated team
200m all RS3 on 7/3/19
1.2Billion overall Slayer xp / Ultimate slayer title

OSRS 2277/2277 Untrim slayer cape
Hail Satan, He loves for who you are.

04-Jan-2024 21:28:13 - Last edited on 04-Jan-2024 21:30:53 by Tenebri

Cernunnos

Cernunnos

Tenebri said :
Cernunnos said :

its changed a lot

Cernunnos said :

its updated constantly with a dedicated team

I'm aware of the differences between RS3's treasure trails and OSRS as far as challenges are concerned. RS3 expanded upon it massively while OSRS didn't, with the exception of there being secret stashes where you can keep emote items. And obviously the rewards are going to be slightly different, but the basis is still pretty much the same in that it's a whole lot of cheap items with a small amount of jackpots.

05-Jan-2024 05:14:16

HeroicStache
Jan Member 2022

HeroicStache

Posts: 15 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
2 years ago I restarted as an ironman on the OSRS servers after having dabbled with my main on OSRS for a bit as well. Starting over was not as much of a big deal as I thought it was. In fact, progressing the account quickly in the early game was a blast, as I partook in some content which I normally never would try or do, though that might also have to do with the fact that I play ironman mode.

Is the task of rebuilding an entire account daunting? Perhaps, but I've had a blast so far. I suspect that if you enjoy the journey of getting there as well, then you'll be fine.

As for your questions specifically, other people seem to have answered those already. A good chunk of OSRS is made up from the old content on which it is based, though there is also a ton of newer content like the aforementioned continent (Zeah/ Kourend & Varlamore), raids, a whole bunch of new quests which are nicely written in my opinion, and plenty of new training methods like skilling bosses (Tempoross, Wintertodt, Zalcano) to keep things interesting. There's plenty to sink your teeth in, even if you aren't in the endgame.

Either way, good luck with your considerations, and who knows? Perhaps we'll run into each other ingame at some point.

09-Jan-2024 16:52:10

Quick find code: 317-318-421-66292538 Back to Top