Forums

Can we get an Smithing rework?

Quick find code: 317-318-322-66278814

Snow Flame

Snow Flame

Posts: 91 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Jagex originally announced a smithing and mining refresh in 2007, which then got pushed back to like 2013, which then got pushed back to 2015, that got farther pushed back to 2017, and then finally happened in 2019.

That said, the point of this post is about the talks that originally happened in 2007. They knew smithing was bad back then. We are now replaying that era of bad smithing in OSRS.

You can craft better PvM armor with Torva at 90 smithing then the current rune platebody at 99. Like Torva smithing is fine, but rune smithing should go so much lower. Like in the 50s, maybe 60s max.

Not just how dumb it is to have 99 smithing reward armor that wasn't that great even back in 2007, the exp rates from mining -> smithing just kind of suck. If you only use the ores you mined to smith, you would reach level 99 mining way before 99 smithing. Even with exp boosts you still would reach 99 mining before 99 smithing.

Like I don't want exactly what RS3 did. But it was at least a step in the right direction and one of the better updates. Like making rune not take 8 freaken coal.

22-Apr-2023 18:12:01

Sei Asagiri
Nov Member 2019

Sei Asagiri

Posts: 439 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
You have a very strange definition of "nobody." I have always thought it was very poorly placed in today's game, and this is literally an entire SKILL, something most people would consider a huge deal today given the big conversations happening about Sailing, and you're gonna sit there and tell me smithing, the entire skill, being essentially dead content... is fine?

Let's take a look at skill reqs... 99 smithing for rune platebody, but 84 crafting for black dhide body? Even dragon, a tier entirely above rune, is of a weaker tier than black dhide. Yet it requires what? 1/3? of the total exp to be able to make it. Sure, you can argue a lot of old content in this game is fine as it is, like the thieving chests in rogue's castle of deep wild being a waste of time these days (unlike when it was released), but this is a skill... a whole skill! It's a massive chunk of the game, and it's so far behind the reality of the current game it's laughable!

Strong support. This is actually why I have previously not been interested in skill pitches because if you don't display the aptitude to fix completely outdated _entire skills_ then how do you expect us to trust Jagex make a new one that the player base would find acceptable in OSRS? (at least in this new skill process there will be tons of input we can provide before final release so I'm nowhere near as worried, but my point remains--I think we should fix what we have first before we go adding something new, at least where whole skills are concerned)

25-Apr-2023 03:50:14 - Last edited on 25-Apr-2023 03:53:39 by Sei Asagiri

Zeffirino
Jan Member 2023

Zeffirino

Posts: 394 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
This is an area where doing a major rework would remove the old school element of what smithing in. I do acknowledge that smithing has become what is being described in this thread and now sits with us as an unintended consequence which no one could foresee when the game was first launched.

That being said how can this be rectified in a way that doesn't change the current image of the skill even if it's clunky with respect to the levels required to make certain things?

I feel like Giant's foundry was a good starting point to diversifying what the skill can do and should be the way forward. i.e provide more utility for smithing

25-Apr-2023 06:36:21

Snow Flame

Snow Flame

Zeffirino said :
This is an area where doing a major rework would remove the old school element of what smithing in. I do acknowledge that smithing has become what is being described in this thread and now sits with us as an unintended consequence which no one could foresee when the game was first launched.

Even back in old school /RS2 (like I said in the opening) I remember there being talks of a smithing rework.

actually, I remember now. There were talks of the rework, which kept getting delayed. Then they "released" something that they said would fix it... artisan workshop in 2011. Artisans' workshop barely did anything to fix smithing and people were pissed.

Us keeping a mostly dead skill around just since it's "old school" doesn't make sense to me, because even back then people recognized it was an issue. I would say level adjustment is basically the main thing that it needs. Rune should at least be below 90 (I would say rune plate-bodies should be like 80). Then the content from 80-99 could be repairing degradable PvM drops like Torva.

25-Apr-2023 07:30:57

Snow Flame

Snow Flame

Sei Asagiri said :
You have a very strange definition of "nobody." I have always thought it was very poorly placed in today's game, and this is literally an entire SKILL, something most people would consider a huge deal today given the big conversations happening about Sailing, and you're gonna sit there and tell me smithing, the entire skill, being essentially dead content... is fine?

Funny enough, I went through their post history and they posted in other improve smithing threads.

25-Apr-2023 07:32:17

Snow Flame

Snow Flame

Zeffirino said :
I do suppose a level adjustment could work although I'd imagine its a bigger task than it sounds as it would affect the economy relating to those items so it'd need to be a carefully surgical process.

Rune items will drop a tiny bit, but up to Adamant you can buy most things from shops for less than 10k per piece. So I don't think those (bronze to Adamant) items would be affected as much if lower levels could craft them.

26-Apr-2023 20:34:45

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,201 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Realistically OSRS won't do a thing about the economy which is dead. OSRS has given up and I doubt if they even want to mention the economy. They are just hard selling every new item that comes with every new update until the game runs its course.

28-Apr-2023 01:57:04 - Last edited on 28-Apr-2023 03:42:55 by Dilbert2001

Sei Asagiri
Nov Member 2019

Sei Asagiri

Posts: 439 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
A rework doesn't have to be drastic, but I'm not beyond supporting it being so. As noted, at the very least rune should be much lower requirement. I would say 80 maximum for rune platebody, to be more in line with other skills such as crafting and fletching.

I'd also like to note that I doubt lowering said requirements would affect gear prices at all. The market is driven by the exp gains--it usually costs more to make something than you get selling the product. I do think it would affect ore and bar prices though. How much and in what direction is unknown though, especially depending on what else may or may not be done to the skill.

28-Apr-2023 06:09:11

Quick find code: 317-318-322-66278814 Back to Top