Forums

Changes to monthly freebies

Quick find code: 309-310-851-65877832

Ahura

Ahura

Posts: 3,360 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I have a problem with the system of monthly freebies, where an SGS item becomes completely free for members each month. By making an item available for a wide group of member players completely free makes the item way too common and no longer makes it interesting. If I take a look at, for example the Guthixian teleport override, prior to it becoming available for free for a month a while ago, it was still fun to see other players using the override. After it was a freebie for a full month it became extremely common, boring and it completely lost its value IMO because everyone has it and it's used all the time now.

To keep the SGS items iconic I think the current way monthly items are given away should end. I do have a few suggestions to compensate for those who do like monthly freebies so that they are not left with nothing after the freebie madness (hopefully soon) stops.

- Only make the monthly freebie available for 24/48 hours max at the beginning of each month. Even though this will still make the item more common, the impact per item won't be as much since you only have a very short time to get it instead of a full month.

- Only do a monthly freebie every 2-3 months and maybe be able to pick between 2 items. This basically slows down the process of individual SGS items becoming super common.

- Instead of a free item each month, do a price reduction of 80%-90% for a few items every month. This system is basically a variant of the weekly deals, but instead the items that are on sale changes every month. Then you will still need to sacrifice some RC to get the item.

- Keep the monthly freebies but no item worth more than 100 rc or 10k lp will be available for free. This will prevent the more valuable and rarer items from becoming available for nothing for a full month and lose a lot of their value.
Feel free to take a look at my suggestions: 200m xp prestige

06-Feb-2017 15:06:52

Ahura

Ahura

-The monthly item is given away after spending half or two-thirds of the monthly item's cost in the store during that month. For example you obtain the monthly item KGP teleport for free after spending 245 RC or 327 RC in SGS throughout the month.

Until any of these happen I painfully watch each month what item becomes the next victim of becoming severely devalued...

06-Feb-2017 15:07:41

Ladyolake
Jan Member 2008

Ladyolake

Posts: 7,094 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The free items given away are something that both member and free to play can actually purchase at any time.

Giving it away does not lower its value. This is not like something you have to do an event for in game. so complaining that it devalues it doesnt really make sense to me.

I am not for or against them keeping and or changing the free item give away each month.

I will say regardless I do think people should be grateful for what we are given free out of Solomons General Store as it was ment as a way to make money.

The comments last month over not getting anything free upset me because I feel like this is a gift from Jagex not a "Must do, because we did it for a year" kind of deal.

I just appreciate Jagex giving us these little freebies.
The richest person is not who has the most. It is who Needs the least.

08-Feb-2017 07:02:09

Draco Burnz
Dec Member 2011

Draco Burnz

Posts: 79,296 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ladyolake said :
The free items given away are something that both member and free to play can actually purchase at any time.

Giving it away does not lower its value. This is not like something you have to do an event for in game. so complaining that it devalues it doesnt really make sense to me.

I am not for or against them keeping and or changing the free item give away each month.

I will say regardless I do think people should be grateful for what we are given free out of Solomons General Store as it was ment as a way to make money.

The comments last month over not getting anything free upset me because I feel like this is a gift from Jagex not a "Must do, because we did it for a year" kind of deal.

I just appreciate Jagex giving us these little freebies.

100% agree.
Draco Burnz
Anime Fanatic
Defender of the logical

08-Feb-2017 12:09:26

Sharp-shin

Sharp-shin

Posts: 41,301 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ahura said :
- Instead of a free item each month, do a price reduction of 80%-90% for a few items every month. This system is basically a variant of the weekly deals, but instead the items that are on sale changes every month. Then you will still need to sacrifice some RC to get the item.

Support.
"Volat Accipiter libera est; venandi sua natura est."
~Accipiter striatus

08-Feb-2017 12:15:56

Draco Burnz
Dec Member 2011

Draco Burnz

Posts: 79,296 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Sharp-shin said :
Ahura said :

Support.

Why call them "freebies" if they arent free?...

Also i dont understand how sgs items can be "iconic" if they be bought by anyone anytime?
Draco Burnz
Anime Fanatic
Defender of the logical

08-Feb-2017 12:25:12 - Last edited on 08-Feb-2017 12:26:42 by Draco Burnz

Green Cafe

Green Cafe

Posts: 7,473 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
no support , keep the free item and even if they reduce the price of some items you will have to pay for the same package so there is no point

How is buying an item from a store unique anw? You are just paying for the item, its not like you achieved it or something like that . Any person can buy any item but the whole point of this free monthly item is for it to be a surprise for us the players and also like a small incentive to get membership.

If you want an item that stays unique just buy the worst outfit and wear it all the time, im sure even if it is free no one will wear that way it will be unique and iconic!
Click here Pest Control fc
Click here Count to 10 Before a CH V7

08-Feb-2017 13:25:23 - Last edited on 08-Feb-2017 13:29:12 by Green Cafe

Sharp-shin

Sharp-shin

Posts: 41,301 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Draco Burnz said :
Why call them "freebies" if they arent free?...

Don't call them freebies, obviously. ;) Replace the freebies with additional sales.

Draco Burnz said :
Also i dont understand how sgs items can be "iconic" if they be bought by anyone anytime?

Idk why the OP chose that word, it doesn't really have anything to do with this subject. :P
"Volat Accipiter libera est; venandi sua natura est."
~Accipiter striatus

08-Feb-2017 13:29:05

Iceman3317
Dec Member 2023

Iceman3317

Posts: 6,635 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Strongly disagree with OP.

It doesn't effect its rarely because it is never rare. Anyone can buy it at any given time. All it does if show how rich someone is and how much they are willing to throw into a game for a cosmetic.

Hell hardly anyone used the free stuff. I never see anyone over use anything that becomes free and half the time I don't even see anyone using the free items at all.

The sale is stupid as they already have monthly sales.

I look forward to the free item. If they were going to change it to where we have to buy it, fuck it because I'm not spending a single cent on it even if it is 90% off.

Your idea is honestly one of the dumbest I have seen. This is a way to reward paying members with something other than loyalty points which is honestly useless at this point in time since they never bring anything new out.
Come the Sixth-Age, the world will need the World Guardian.

08-Feb-2017 13:30:57

Ahura

Ahura

Ladyolake said :

Yes they can be obtained at any time, but not everyone is willing to do it because of the price tag. So in theory yes everyone can own the SGS stuff, but in reality this isn't gonna be the case because only some players spend money (rl or ingame) on RC.

08-Feb-2017 18:33:26

Quick find code: 309-310-851-65877832 Back to Top