Forums

Create new Thread helper

Quick find code: 278-279-902-66223577

Kopaka
Dec Member 2023

Kopaka

Posts: 3,578 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Unfortunately I'm sure this kind of thing would be too hard to just up and make.

Which is sad because we could really use some changes to the forums around here.

Anyway

When creating a new thread, you have several drop-downs above the thread title. They ask:

Which game is this thread about?: [OSRS] [RS3] [Neither] [Both]

What kind of thread is this?: [Suggestion for new content] [Changes to old content] [Asking a question] [Other disussion]

That's all that comes to mind right now, but you get the idea.

Anyway after filling in those, the thread will AUTOMATICALLY be posted in the corresponding subforum, rather than rely on the player to figure out which subforum they think it belongs in.

Obviously there could be 2 or 3 more questions to really nail down which subforum it belongs in. And no doubt some will still wind up sorted incorrectly.

It just seems silly to me that so much of the FMods job is moving threads.

For that matter we would probably have some progress even just with better subforum descriptions and possibly better names too. The amount of 'existing game content' threads that wind up in 'game content suggestions' is quite high. The amount of OSRS suggestion threads in both is also quite high. And General is probably around 50% misplaced threads.

29-Jul-2021 16:13:28 - Last edited on 29-Jul-2021 16:14:34 by Kopaka

Draco Burnz
Dec Member 2011

Draco Burnz

Posts: 79,296 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Shouldnt it be obvious which forum is best suited for a certain thread?

If you're having a hard time, theres always Forum Help .

So lets not take away something thats best suited for mods only.

Plus this wont stop ppl from still misplacing threads so is null and void.
Draco Burnz
Anime Fanatic
Defender of the logical

29-Jul-2021 21:49:01 - Last edited on 29-Jul-2021 21:49:28 by Draco Burnz

Tuffty
Jan
fmod Member

Tuffty

Forum Moderator Posts: 152,160 Ruby Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Kopaka said :

Thats why we have such a great F-Mod team. We love moving threads.

Never really worried about misplaced threads these days. Hardly get any and when we do they can soon be moved. Especially if it's a new forum user.

Good idea but not sure it would help much as people can still make threads knowing they are in the wrong section. ;)
Comprehensive Account Security
What do snowmen have for breakfast? Snowflakes! :P

30-Jul-2021 12:09:39

Rooh
Jan
fmod Member

Rooh

Forum Moderator Posts: 40,589 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Unfortunately adding any new functionality to the forums is probably a low priority (as much as I'd love to see a revamp with more tools)

Kopaka said :

For that matter we would probably have some progress even just with better subforum descriptions and possibly better names too.

I think that might be a better solution, though, as Tuffty said, we really don't mind moving stuff.
Who's the cat that won't cop out when there's danger all about?

30-Jul-2021 13:46:35

Kopaka
Dec Member 2023

Kopaka

Posts: 3,578 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ok how about this:

When in the create new thread interface, have an option at the top to pick which subforum you're posting in. It defaults to wherever you were when you clicked 'new thread', but you can change subforums without having to copy your post and go to that subforum.

01-Aug-2021 18:55:14

Draco Burnz
Dec Member 2011

Draco Burnz

Posts: 79,296 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Kopaka said :
Ok how about this:

When in the create new thread interface, have an option at the top to pick which subforum you're posting in. It defaults to wherever you were when you clicked 'new thread', but you can change subforums without having to copy your post and go to that subforum.

Ok but this didnt address the point made:

Draco Burnz said :
Shouldnt it be obvious which forum is best suited for a certain thread?

Plus this wont stop ppl from still misplacing threads so is null and void.
Draco Burnz
Anime Fanatic
Defender of the logical

02-Aug-2021 01:52:01

Spearmint30
Apr Member 2012

Spearmint30

Posts: 23,350 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Kopaka said :
I'd say it's not a bad idea overall, as it just adds some redundancy for confirmation sake.

Nothing suggested here will actually prevent misplaced threads, particularly those that are sometimes misplaced deliberately. I've seen users post in the wrong forum just because the correct forum has less traffic. Kopaka said :
*remembers back* Moving a thread took about 5-6 clicks and around a minute (maybe less if one is particularly fast) of time for an FMod, and that's all including writing a message on the moved version. I'm guessing that hasn't changed much over the years, so it shouldn't be too much trouble at all to move a few good fist-fulls of misplaced threads per day.

Out of all the FMod duties, moves are probably among those that require the least effort.
Spearmint30

¤
Food scientists have finally managed to remove the mint flavor from gum! The ex-spearmint was a success!
¤

02-Aug-2021 17:00:54

Tranq
Nov
fmod Member

Tranq

Forum Moderator Posts: 61,815 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Guru Pittka said :
How do you post a new thread? There is no drop down menu or button that says "New Thread"

At the top right of each forum is a button that looks somewhere between the colors of yellow or orange that says new thread. They're suggesting revamping it so that there are fewer misplaced threads.

On topic... I've always thought moving threads is kinda like the came I played when I was younger of kick the can, or what I still do from time to time with pebbles I find on the ground while taking a stroll.
When the day becomes the night and the sky becomes the sea, when the clock strikes heavy and there’s no time for tea; and in our darkest hour, before my final rhyme, she will come back home to Wonderland and turn back the hands of time.

28-Apr-2022 12:27:13

Quick find code: 278-279-902-66223577 Back to Top