Forums

[BUG] in-game Photo Booth Thread is locked

Quick find code: 278-279-642-66157090

Tenoobri

Tenoobri

Posts: 77 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Zavage said :
Please fix this. My forum picture is currently bugged as it is not centered. I don't think I have seen anyone else with this bug on the forums either...

many people with bugged avatars, slightly off center, some of them waaaaay off center, some pixel bugs (wrong colour streaking)

iirc there is a forum game of count to x before a bugged avatar pic

07-Aug-2020 14:40:32 - Last edited on 07-Aug-2020 14:41:05 by Tenoobri

Asahel Frost
Dec Member 2007

Asahel Frost

Posts: 16,536 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
FastCruise said :
Thanks for at least addressing this problem but the fact you say "There isn't a fix in the work for this currently." is just underwhelming. I would love to see this fixed soon.
The photo booth not as easy to implement as you might think.

The rendering of photo booth images is done on the server, but the server has no graphics capabilities. It exchanges messages with the clients, runs scripts, and updates the databases representing the state of the game and the players. The server doesn't have any sort of graphics card or even a screen, it is purely a data processing engine.

So, all rendering for the photo booth has to be done in software. Complicated things like wrapping a texture round a model really needs a graphics processor. The server is able to render a chat head with nothing equipped, but the complex graphics used by a lot of more recent head slot items are beyond its capabilities.

I suppose it would be possible to get the client to render the chat head, but the problem with that is validating the image sent back to the server. It would be all too easy for trolls to substitute inappropriate images.

A solution would be to have some dedicated servers with graphics cards to do the rendering, but that is a whole new set of software, and protocols for communicating with them, so is a huge amount of work.
Glad to be of service :) (Powered by GPP™ - Share and Enjoy!)
Official Community Helper
( Info )
Discord: Asahel Frost
FC: SilverScaper

08-Aug-2020 11:43:15

Team Misha
Nov Member 2023

Team Misha

Posts: 12,161 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Seems at this point it'd be better, in the interim, to allow JPG/PNG to be uploaded as profile pictures. Pictures are already moderated and it's been successful so the risk of abuse is minimal and would be stamped out quickly with profile privileges revoked.

11-Aug-2020 04:59:27

Quick find code: 278-279-642-66157090 Back to Top