Forums

Still can't paste? Seriously?

Quick find code: 278-279-560-66278051

Epic Mike
Aug Member 2022

Epic Mike

Posts: 539 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It's been years and it seems you still can't paste into the password field on the RuneScape launcher!

Hey, Jagex. Good password security includes being able to use a password manager. If we can't paste them, then we can't really use one can we....

09-Apr-2023 10:58:07

Tuffty
Jan
fmod Member

Tuffty

Forum Moderator Posts: 152,160 Ruby Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Having all my passwords saved in a manager is a really bad feeling for me personally.

I'd rather hand type them all in. It just feels safer.

There are Viruses out there that will steal all your managed passwords and I mean them ALL. So you are stuffed then as you run around like a panicked chicken hoping you change them all before acounts are hacked.

Easy to type them in. ;)
Comprehensive Account Security
What do snowmen have for breakfast? Snowflakes! :P

09-Apr-2023 11:33:22

Asahel Frost
Dec Member 2007

Asahel Frost

Posts: 16,536 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hi Epic Mike.

You can paste passwords when logging in with a Jagex Account. It is the old style login that prevents passwords being pasted. This is just one of the reasons for the move to Jagex Accounts.
Glad to be of service :) (Powered by GPP™ - Share and Enjoy!)
Official Community Helper
( Info )
Discord: Asahel Frost
FC: SilverScaper

09-Apr-2023 11:37:14

Epic Mike
Aug Member 2022

Epic Mike

333333333 said :
Not that hard to type???

If you use long random passwords it is.

Tuffty said :
Having all my passwords saved in a manager is a really bad feeling for me personally.

There are Viruses out there that will steal all your managed passwords and I mean them ALL. So you are stuffed then as you run around like a panicked chicken hoping you change them all before acounts are hacked.

Easy to type them in. ;)

So, it true its a single point of failure (I had to migrate from lastpass because of this). But its also true if a virus can steal from your password manager, it would likely be able to keylog too. The disadvantage of not using a password manager is password reuse, which is a real problem. Have you ever used that password somewhere else? Are you sure that what ever company/service it was follows proper password security practices? It's generally considered by most security experts that a password manager with one really good password is safer than a few reused passwords or lots of weak ones. (https://www.troyhunt.com/password-managers-dont-have-to-be-perfect-they-just-have-to-be-better-than-not-having-one/)

Bertel62 said :
333333333 said :
Not that hard to type???

He is talking about security. Typing a password is the least secure way of all.

Exactly!

Asahel Frost said :
Hi Epic Mike.

You can paste passwords when logging in with a Jagex Account. It is the old style login that prevents passwords being pasted. This is just one of the reasons for the move to Jagex Accounts.

I've just come back for basically the first time since 2021. I will have to check it out.

13-Apr-2023 15:37:35

Epic Mike
Aug Member 2022

Epic Mike

Tuffty said :

Easy to type them in. ;)

Another good example to go with what I said in my previous post :)
https://xkcd.com/1286/

13-Apr-2023 15:39:16

Mrs Ana

Mrs Ana

Posts: 8,998 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Asahel Frost said :
Hi Epic Mike.

This. I love the new Jagex account system.

13-Apr-2023 16:49:45

Quick find code: 278-279-560-66278051 Back to Top