Forums

HLF Off Topic Chat Lounge V3 Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-450-65269856

Lifer
Jul Member 2008

Lifer

Posts: 12,424 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Well now frenchfrouds did it, I also want to say that:

I thought your university policy is straightforward. Feeling bad for them? Fuck that. Screw them. Report to university (and you might get better standing for your career) and let them burn in university ruination hell.

:>

23-Dec-2014 06:19:15

Lifer
Jul Member 2008

Lifer

Posts: 12,424 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
To be more nicer,

You just can't let them slide. Try imagining them in a real workplace right now. Either they:

a) won't be creative and fail at the job
b) are underqualified

It'd be just a disaster.

23-Dec-2014 06:23:58

Fatrekd

Fatrekd

Posts: 13,243 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Froud said :
Fatrekd said :
10/10 would read again. And I don't think my thread was a rant but more as a question. I was unable to seek advice on what should I do. So many people cheated on their essay's it provided that extra sense of confusion. :(

At least I think you are talking about that thread I created back in April on 'plagiarism'.

10/10 indeed.

I forget what I said in your thread, but does your school/teaching facility treat the plagiarism like mine? My college, if the student is deemed of the crime, is promptly  expelling the student. They can not come back to that university, and there is a blackmark on their record for a substantial amount of time.

If the students continue to cheat, pull them aside and tell them, individually, what they are doing is worthy of expulsion (or whatever it is your workplace does), and that while it is unfair to let them work on a new essay, and that you cannot allow them to rewrite it, the grade is a solid A for the original writer, but a solid F for the thief.

My teacher hadn't pulled a student aside this semester; he blatantly told the student off, in front of 30 other classmates, that the student stole the work. It was right before Thanksgiving break, too.

I was tempted to follow the guidelines set in-place for these type of situations but, given my history and how it could be detrimental to the youth's further development; I found it to be contradictory of what the premise of the lesson was. Feeble to say the least that I would consider the detrimental implications that it could have on the youth but, it did allow me to further my knowledge and understanding of restorative practices versus strict punishment. The premise of me becoming a professor was to enlighten people, not bare-waste to the future of that individual. Nonetheless I made the situation more difficult than it should have been.
Join the clan " Green Bandits " today! Twitch/Twitter: @il_ija

23-Dec-2014 06:26:00

Froud
Aug Member 2010

Froud

Posts: 17,906 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
In a university setting, it'd be a little weird for a student to report another student. Weird, in the sense, that it rarely happens at my university. The reporting-student would have to have sufficient evidence that the reported-student is being a thief.

In a teacher-reporting-student scenario, the teacher has more plausibility, since it is expected of them to "know their field of study" and to be "familiar with current events" and "existing works." They, too, need evidence, but it is more likely that the teacher can quickly spot a stolen work, which is what happened in the event of my classmate.

In a workplace setting, it'd be morally wrong to not report someone who is doing something that's terrible.

23-Dec-2014 06:29:03

Fatrekd

Fatrekd

Posts: 13,243 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yes, all universities/colleges are alike by that they have these policies for thieves. By what I meant when I said "history" was I was a thief when I was younger also. I was in the gifted program when I was in highschool and I did not want to do this essay and I essentially copied and pasted everything. Any ways, I cheated a majority of the essay and if it was not for my teacher at the time, I would have never become who I am now. That is one of the reasons why it became difficult to decide what I should do. She gave me another chance, and it worked for me; could it work for them? Sadly, it did not - I have learned from this and now I just give them a 0. If they proceed to follow with these detrimental intentions, I follow the guidelines imposed.
Join the clan " Green Bandits " today! Twitch/Twitter: @il_ija

23-Dec-2014 06:31:29

Froud
Aug Member 2010

Froud

Posts: 17,906 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@Uuuuuooo, I see, I see. It's always the right thing to do to go with your gut, and to not ruin someone's future. I sort of think what you did was correct; you learnt how to deal with the situation in future settings, if it were to ever arise. You also didn't screw over someone. :D !

It's still a pity, though, that people cheat to get ahead in life.

I don't know if your workplace uses it, but Temple uses "Turn it in," which is an automated essay-thing... You submit your essay into it, and it provides a report within 10-20 minutes. The report pulls known sources, and gives you a "Matching %" of the submitted essay. If it's 0%-15%, that's good; it does not match any known material, minus a few quotes or websites here and there. If it's 16%-25%, there might be an issue. Anything higher than 25%, and if it does not appear to be buggy, then that might warrant a talk with the student.

23-Dec-2014 06:34:07

Quick find code: 261-262-450-65269856 Back to Top